• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford House Erdington Birmingham

Rupert

master brummie
The old OS is remarkably accurate. Gosh a perfect match. Brilliant. I wish I could do that. The GEC Magnet Club is upper left.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its not too difficult Rupert, just can be very fiddly, as you have to keep adjusting the magnification of the view on Google Earth until it is the same (as far as you can tell) as that of the map . The facility is built into google earth (not google maps). In seme parts of Brum it can be difficult because there are so few points remaining on the ground that occur on the map.

pollypops

master brummie
The past residents of Salford House (from post office directories - thanks to Shera)
1849 - Gammon Thomas - glass manufacturer - Salford House, Gravelly Hill (also found by horsencart post #16)
1866 - Chamberlain Joseph Butler esq - Salford House, Gravelly Hill
1868 - Lunt Mr. Richard - Salford House, Slade Lane
1872 - Clive Henry - Salford House, Gravelly Hill

1864 - Salford House was advertised to Let and stated 'Late in the occupation of Mr Chamberlain' so he may have already left by the time the 1866 directory was available (There was a Joseph Butler Chamberlain also listed at The Woodlands, Moseley in the same 1866 directory)
1889 - Salford house was advertised to be let or sold and stated that it was in the occupation of Mr. R H Clive.

pollypops

master brummie
The adverts give an idea of the size of the house and what it may have been like.
Birmingham Daily Post:
1861 - April 11th - cook wanted - used to managing a small dairy.
1862 - April 21st - strong boy wanted - accustomed to farm service
1862 - May 28th - to be sold 21 ewes and 32 lambs

Attachments

pollypops

master brummie
1879 - August 14th - Lady recommending a nurse - apply Salford House, Gravelly Hill
1883 - September 1st - Lady recommending a cook - address Mrs R H Clive, Salford House
1889 - September 27th - Salford House, Slade Road, Gravelly Hill, to be let or sold - in the occupation of Mr R H Clive

Attachments

pollypops

master brummie
Birmingham Daily Post
1890 - September 27th - indoor Gardener wanted.
1891 - April 22nd - sewing maid wanted -must understand dress making - address Mrs Ratcliffe Hoare, Salford House
1891 - June 18th - Gardener wanted must understand vines and glass and youth wanted to help in garden and be generally useful.
1892 - February 9th - Gardner wanted - indoors - must understand vines and glass - apply R Hoare

I am not sure if Mrs Ratcliffe Hoare and R Hoare are the householders or possibly housekeeper and estate manager?

Attachments

ricco

knowlegable brummie
Those job papers are really interesting to see many thanks for sharing them, so i guess no photos of the house have come to light as yet??

Many thanks Ricco,,

samurai

knowlegable brummie
I was very interested to read about Salford house. The R H Clive mentioned was my gt gt uncle. And Henry Clive was his father. Henry made his fortune by being a gun barrel borer. He left Salford house, leaving Robert Clive to live there, and Henry went to live at Slade house. This house is now the brookvale club, I believe, on Anchorage rd. I have a copy of Henry's will which describes Slade house and his stable of horses and carriages. I would be happy to send anyone a copy of the will if they wished. Would love to see any photos of the house before it became a working mans club, if any exist that is.

pollypops

master brummie
When I was looking at the directory listings for Residents of Salford House I noticed the following listings for 'Clive'.
is this the same family at another residence - possibly close to Salford House?
1866 Mr. Henry Clive was listed at Highfield House, Gravelly Lane.
1868 Clive Henry Esq. Highfield House, Gravelly Hill
1872 Mrs Clive, Highfield House, Erdington

jamesg1977

master brummie
I cant believe all of this information has come to light, Im truly amazed! Its really appreciated because my mom was fascinated by the history of it. Unfortunately I lost my mom last year she was only 64 at the time. It would have been lovely to show her all of this, she really would have been delighted! Thankyou everyone :) :) :)

Brookvalepark

Brummie babby
Interesting read, I knew the area like the back of my hand growing up, spent a lot of time knocking round the 'magnet club' (gec), there was a row of large lime trees (iirc) running down the middle of the hill in the direction of the main fields. I always thought they must have been a relic from a previous farm.

jamesg1977

master brummie
Theres also a small coppice which is enclosed by the triangle of roads Kegworth Rd/Hillside Rd/Chartley Rd. I think just like the lime trees this is a relic of the old estate.