• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

SquattersWrongs

Brummie babby
Hi all!

I think this is the right place to be posting this!(?)

I've had another quiet week, so I've been out and about with Pippin getting some photos and footage together of the current state of affairs in the pleasure grounds of the Magnet Centre and the general old 'Salford' area.

I've pulled together this feature length video presentation of all of my finds (and plenty of of musings and conjectures!) concerning the changes in the area through the last 150 years or so, as interpreted by myself. There's a lot to get through!

The general topics tackled throughout this video are:

• Magnet Centre Sports Grounds
  • Magnet Club Building
  • Salford History
  • GEC history
  • GEC architecture then and now
  • The bizarre and magnificent old GEC Admin Building and stories and tales surround that.
  • Owners of GEC - Gustav Binswanger, Hugo Hirst, Weiner etc.
  • Radium soap 1915 side quest by Gustavs' brother and fellow GEC funder, Max Byng.
  • Spaghetti Junction/The Destruction of 'Old Salford' Leamington Road etc.
  • Taking a look at the Egyptian style adornments on the GEC Admin Building. Looking at the Ancient Symbology Involved.
  • The Famous GEC Chimney
  • The 'Electro-Magnet' Logo of 1870 -1920/40

This is a long one, but I believe its easy to follow and packed with really nice local history that should raise a smile or two!

Squatter.

Looks very interesting Squatter, I'll look later when I've got more time. There's a lot of ex GEC workers on this forum and I'm sure they'll enjoy it. Did you know there's also a GEC Witton Facebook?
Lynn.

Hi Squatter, welcome to the Birmingham history forum. I can see you have a passion for the past, it is indeed reflected in your two videos.

You raise a number of very interesting points and have made some interesting assumptions and observations.

My thought are; if you wish to engage with the members of this forum to open up some meaningful dialogue and feedback, you would be better off breaking you videos down into shorter chunks.

I mean this in a positive way; watching a one hour forty-minute video is a big ask. I appreciate that you have clearly found a subject that you now love with a passion and want to tell the world about it. But there is a limit to what people can take in, in one sitting.

I have seen photographers present slideshows of their best images, all of them worthy of a prize. But once they get to around sixty images, the audience loses interest. We call it habituating and we are all guilty of the doing it at times.

You have I see already give twelve good headings, have a go at breaking your videos down into these heading. I know this is a pain, but you will get a much better audience engagement and response.

I will be the first to say that after watching most of your first video, which I did comment on, I really wanted a conversation with you. Lots of thoughts to share.

Thanks a lot for the advice, very much appreciated!

My whole version of the 'internet' has changed since I got furloughed back in March - I used to love (and only have time for) bitesized videos and the quick-fact format that most Vloggers adopt. My spare time has gone up considerably in the meantime and now I actively seek out longer presentations...it just means I don't have to move as much and find a new video I guess, haha!

I rattle on a hell of a lot too and bounce around many different tangents - but I will work on this and try and put out some smaller nuggets going forward.

Thanks again Morton, looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the whole subject!

looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the whole subject!

I may have a lot to say, in that I grew up in and around Witton Lakes and Brookvale Park. I also have an interest in water supply’s too.

Makes a change from studying the lineage of the monarchy

Hi Squatter, well done with the video, I'm sure there will be a lot of members on here that can relate to that area and in particular the GEC. My Aunt worked there and always said they were the best years of her life!
Apparently the Admin block was designed for the GEC c1920, to enhance a building that already exsisted there. There's a Google Book called Form and Fancy that goes into a lot more detail.
Loved Pippin too, bless him!
Lynn.[/QUOTE]

Having watched the video I think it gives good a basis to discover the history of a relatively small area, but where do you start. Perhaps near Salford Circus and “Dwarf Holes” the former caves in the sandstone laid down some 250 million years ago, at the foot of Copeley Hill. They were destroyed in the building of Spaghetti Junction.

AAA702B2-FCB3-4D50-9C5F-E9FCB0B011D4.jpeg1B8EA70C-C867-4812-9D2E-71AA2DC2B458.jpeg25D1606B-CB33-4C22-9766-B5896509010E.jpeg

Bill Dargue gives a description.

Close by Gravelly Hill taking its name from the glaciofluvial deposits formed some 10,000 years ago, when the ice sheet extended to just above Lady P in Boldmere.

The Brook that is followed in the video is of course Hawthorn Brook that joins the River Tame SE of the old Aston Wells Pumping Station. What can we find out about this short section of the Brook ?

F3D9F074-4F8B-4422-B7B9-2DF1E5CFD045.jpeg

I think I’ve put this on another thread, but it is relevant here. A description of the area around Copeley Hill from Aris’s Gazette in 1827. Here it says Hawthorn Brook falls into the River Tame at Dwarf Holes.

3610038D-6B74-4018-B0EF-F47A3815FB58.jpeg

Squats travelled in the footsteps of the Prince...

In June 1923 the Prince of Wales made a three day visit to Birmingham. He left Handsworth Park and travelled via Birchfield Rd, Aston Lane, Witton Road, and Deykin Avenue to the GEC in Electric Avenue. He passed over the Tame Valley Canal via the bridge to the Club House.

In 1923 the Club was described...

466826DA-2F69-422D-AB76-B0FC638F7540.jpegBE380046-376F-46D0-BE4C-A4C36BA3EA4B.jpeg

In 1880 Water supply from Lower Witton Reservoir conveyed by cast iron pipes 20 inches diameter into the Aston reservoirs.

In 1885 the Water Committee gives notice of the fishing. We are at the posh end, the Lower Reservoir reserved for fly fishing only.

Is the stream referred to the Hawthorn Brook?

9670D4D1-E302-461E-8FE9-3EE9F72B8BFC.jpeg

In 1880 Water supply from Lower Witton Reservoir conveyed by cast iron pipes 20 inches diameter into the Aston reservoirs.

In 1885 the Water Committee gives notice of the fishing. We are at the posh end, the Lower Reservoir reserved for fly fishing only.

Is the stream referred to the Hawthorn Brook?

View attachment 152339
Good to see the building still being used and nicely kept by the Midlands Greek and Cypriot Association. Pity the lovely sports fields have fell into disrepair they were upkept nicely well into the 1990's when various sports teams used them.

Good to see the building still being used and nicely kept by the Midlands Greek and Cypriot Association. Pity the lovely sports fields have fell into disrepair they were upkept nicely well into the 1990's when various sports teams used them.

Hitster1, welcome to the Forum, enjoy I’m sure will!

Back