• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Salford House Erdington Birmingham

I cant believe all of this information has come to light, Im truly amazed! Its really appreciated because my mom was fascinated by the history of it. Unfortunately I lost my mom last year she was only 64 at the time. It would have been lovely to show her all of this, she really would have been delighted! Thankyou everyone :) :) :)

Interesting read, I knew the area like the back of my hand growing up, spent a lot of time knocking round the 'magnet club' (gec), there was a row of large lime trees (iirc) running down the middle of the hill in the direction of the main fields. I always thought they must have been a relic from a previous farm.

Theres also a small coppice which is enclosed by the triangle of roads Kegworth Rd/Hillside Rd/Chartley Rd. I think just like the lime trees this is a relic of the old estate.

I sincerely hope it's okay for me to have resurrected such an old topic, but I have a few questions, and a few things to add about this! I thought it best to post it here, rather than start a new topic as it is very much a continuation

I've lived in Erdington, and near the area where Salford House/Highfield would've been all my life, (changed even more in my time and unfortunately, it's never for the better..), and I couldn't believe the history to the land! Fascinating to read, or what we know of the place, but I do have a question to put forth to everyone, has a photo of Salford House since popped up? I found reference to one in a topic on here, in a book on Cadbury workers, but it was never posted. I've combed google, facebook, for years, every variation of the name (which I think could be part of the problem, given it had multiple out buildings under multiple names, and every reference I've found is by a variation of Erdington/Slade Lane/Slade Road/Gravelley Hill etc). Just before lockdown, I went through every relevant book I could find in Erdington Library, with no results, and went to the city library too, the only reference they could find was a receipt of sale of the land, but unfortunately, I couldn't view the documents before lockdown commenced.

I did find this on Facebook, from Birmingham Old Prints Photographs and maps, a list of residents circa 1887:

"1887 Map showing Salford House off Slade Road for Maxine Dean
Today the area would be about by Kegworth Road area
Who lived in Salford House …a member of the great gunsmith dynasty Henry Clive
In 1861 at Salford House
Henry Clive 42 Gun Barrel Maker, b Nr Kingsbury
Jemima Susannah Clive 56
Robert HenryClive 20 Gun Barrel Maker, b Aston
Mary Ann Hard 24 Cook-Servant, b Whittacre
Harriet Emma Evans 18 Housekeeper, b Sutton

In 1881 at Salford House, Slade Road
Robert H Clive 40 Hardware Merchant
Mary F Clive 37, b New York USA
Mary R Cocker 67 (Mother in Law) b Boston, Mass. USA
Gertrude Clive 12, Florence 11, Clifford 6, Dorothy 3, -elda 2
Jane Patchwork 34 Governess-Teacher –Private , b Durham
Martha Robinson 41 Nurse, b Staffs
Mary Tibbitts 26 Under Nurse, b B’ham
Ellen Whitworth 28 Cook, b Hockley
Mary Stevens 34 Housekeeper"

A lot we already knew, but still, fascinating to read (including american residents!). It seems so strange that, for a house so big, and so old, nearly nothing remains record wise compared to other similar buildings in Erdington (almost certainly because it's been gone around 85-90 years). Seeing some of the lovely photos of Brookvale Park from the 20's recently posted, I thought I'd try my luck in asking

One other thing I did find, before finishing, was online in the national library of scotland, of all places, in the form of os maps, whereby going back in time you could roughly chart it's development and how long the estate was there (it's there as of the earliest map on the land, unmarked but I believe around 1840, though it's no doubt much older, and disappears sometime before 1938, which fits as the housing estate was build around 1935, but it was present as recent, he says, as 1913). I took screenshots at the time, not entirely sure how legal it is for me to post haha, but it is interesting to note, as well as the previously known Hillside and Highfield, there was a lodge at the bottom, next to what is slade road now (where the road levels out at the bottom of Chartley road now), and next to the path up to those houses which was lined with trees (and remains in the form of the coppice to this day). Also interesting, is the path to Salford House started not where the turn in is now, but at the opposite end, where the power junction box is now next to the railway bridge! (This also explains, for anyone who has lived here, why that and only that particular section of road always floods in heavy rain).

(As an aside, it's interesting to note some photos of some of Thomas Gammon's work exists online, nice to see in many ways)

hi kavon and welcome...i think i have a book on cadbury workers but not sure if it would be the one you refer to with a photo of salford house in it....i will dig it out and check and if the photo is there i will happily post it

lyn

The Cadbury association with the area could have been Burlington House, given to the city by Barrow Cadbury in 1934. It became Copeley Hill Hostel.

I wonder if that is why the current island (roundabout) under the M6 (Spaghetti Junction) is called Salford Circus.

Hello and thanks for the replies everyone! That's really appreciated Lyn, and that's interesting about Burlington House too Pedrocut, I've ended up coming across a few things about the place including a few photos, as from time to time it's been mistaken for Salford due to it's location.

And indeed about the island, as well as Salford Bridge, Salford Park and a few other instances of the name locally.. the house certainly seems to have predated even the Aston-Sutton train line, so while I'm no expert, it certainly seems to predate any other usage locally.. and it's even appears to be visible on the earliest map I could find which is undated, but from the early 1800s. I wondered in fact, given it's age whether when it was built all that was really in the area was the house and it's out buildings, the canal, then what is the park on the other side which would make a degree of sense (as I've found reference to Salford Park as Salford Lake, though I'm not sure how old either is).

I hope this is okay to post, I know others have posted similar pictures, but I'll go ahead and post this screenshot of the map, as it gives the clearest idea of the land I've found so far, this was surveyed in 1886 and published in 1890, most of the buildings don't appear to change much over the documented history (apart from their names that is!):

50605719861_03fb5384c0_z.jpg

hi kavon...the book i have is called a century of progress of cadburys 1831 to 1931 printed in 1931 but sadly no photos of salford house

lyn

While still no luck with photos of either house, something I thought was worth updating this topic with, a map posted by moderator Vivienne14 in the Erdington topic, of the area circa 1830 I just found

index.php

It's a bit strange to get bearings to begin with, but, top left, just below and to the left of Rolling Mill, the map features a building matching Salford House's profile, in the right area, but interestingly, to my eyes at least, no matching Highlands House, and no railway or railway bridge, which (at last!) proves the building existed as early as 1833, over ten years earlier than the previous reference, visual proof it predated the railway (which fits with, according to Wikipedia, a version of Aston station opening in 1837, and later 1854, and Gravelly Hill in 1862 when the line was extended to Sutton, so the track and bridge being built through the grounds sometime between the two), and it's twin building was seemingly built sometime between 1833 and mid 1886 (where it's present on the old OS maps, but might be present earlier in paperwork..something to check).

It also gives a rough age for the building, 80 years with the last confirmed presence of it being surveyed in 1913 (and the current houses being build around 1936/1937ish, so its quite possible in my opinion it lasted near to a 100. Also interesting, is the boomerang shaped grove, noted on the map above and still existing today (thanks google earth), making that 188 years old at least! I wonder if it was a garden for Salford house..

So strange to see Erdington so sparse in that map, also showing this to be one of the earliest buildings in the area. Really makes you think, if walls could talk as the saying goes, what changes the building saw in it's lifetime, and it's residents, from open country to suburbs with it's open grounds slowly penned in. Which makes me think, even though one hasn't been found yet, I'm sure a photo must've been taken sometime in 80 years.. I might try looking into the convalescent home rumor

Last edited:
Sorry to double post, but some more info has come to light, some posts from another site, Birmingham history forum from 11 years ago of interest:

"It was once called Safford my relatives lived in Safford House (Salford House) by Salford Bridge Slade Lane (Slade Road) that was the time the road that ran along side Long Acre was called Trafalgar Rd (not a lot of folk know that )...later called Cook Street........... Slade Farm was next Door (so to speak) Cuckoo Rd was Cuckoo Lane .........."

"The Big old Salford house was owed by the Clive Family who after the American Civil War moved his american wife as well as his mother in law into the premises and in the late 1860's his children had a Governess - teacher, Nurse, undernurse, cook .......Baron Clive ran the 62 acre farm next door"

The latter matching the info we'd found previously on gunmaker Henry Clive, but adds a bit of context. Suddenly realizing why it's so hard to track this place down, seems like it changed its name every year! I'm far from an expert, but I wonder if its age could be tentatively traced even further back than 1833 now, as all those names predate any maps or names I know the area by (so hypothetically, if I found a rough date some of those names were changed, I'd know Salford, or Safford house existed at least by then, if that makes sense!)

Also interesting is this map from the same forum:
index.php

Which proves it did go by Safford house, and seemingly shows it's grounds included part of the area behind what is now Emery Close too, sometime after the track was opened but before it was extended past Sutton

I checked out the convalescent home info via the red cross, and the only house in Erdington I could see used for such was the norlands, which with a bit of research, was where the Lyndhurst estate was built later on the chester road, so definitely not another name for this house. Though who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if Salford House played some part in the war. I do feel like the connection to Slade farm could be a breakthrough, I could imagine a photo or sketch of the place listed as such without a mention of Safford/Salford/Highfields etc etc.

This site also has some interesting background to the area, and the name slade in the area:
And at the very bottom.. an os map from 1921, with Salford House still on it! So now 88 years old..

Turned into quite the project!

Edit: Rather than triple post, I found some fantastic, fascinating new info from the national newspaper archives including a number of new owners, as well as some other bits and pieces. Because of legal stuff I believe, I can't post the actual newspaper scans, but I have either transcribed them, or summarized them. Not sure how to post it either, perhaps a screen shot, but I've spent the last few days collating all the information we've all found, and built a known timetable of the history of the house.

First off, I found in another topic, posted by jamesg1977, a land use map from 1934 which still has the house intact on it! Which confirms, even if it was surveyed a few years prior, it made it more or less to a hundred at least.

In chronological order:

Perhaps the greatest find, an advertisement of sale of Salford House, after Thomas Gammon has passed (the earliest known named owner so far, confirmed living there in 1849). I'll transcribe this as it's quite detailed
October 25th, 1858
"Important Leasehold Estate, Erdington Slade, two and a half miles from Birmingham

To be sold by Auction, by Messrs (sp?), Chesshire and Gibson, at the Hen and Chickens hotel, Birmingham, on Wednesday next the 27th of October,at four o'clock in the afternoon, subject to conditions - the capital family residence called "Salford House", for many years in the occupation of the Proprietor, the late Thomas Gammon, Esq, together with 32A, 2R of land, adjoining the same, the whole held upon by lease for a term of which 84 years will be unexpired at Midsummers next, subject to annual reserved rent of 160l.
A portion of the Land, containing 5A 3R is sub let for the residue of the term, at an annual ground-rent of 29l, and a first-rate Vila Residence has been erected thereon.
In order to comply with the terms of the original Lease, another house must be erected, at a cost of not less than 500l, a most eligible site for which may be selected without in the least degree interfering with the comfort or value of the principle residence.
The House comprises excellent drawing and dining room, with all suitable domestic offices, and seven bedrooms, also capital stabling and coach houses, Entrance Lodge, extensive Ornamental and Kitchen Gardens, Vinery, Conservatory, &c, the whole in perfect order and condition.
The Situation is most inviting as a Residence. The surface of the Estate and of the surrounding neighbourhood is extremely picturesque and indulating (?), and the Land is in a high state of cultivation."

It then goes on to describe contact details for particulars of sale etc. So much to unpack, Thomas Gammon was the owner "for many years" till his death, the 84 years lease has been ongoing, so I assume this implies Mr Gammon bought the property? So another, further back owner exists..? I'm also almost sure the added first rate vila is Highlands, (missing in the earlier map, present in later maps right till demolition), also another house has to be build? (is this copley lodge? I'm not as familiar with its history). Also interesting to note the 1864 sale description is very similar to the third paragraph, but with the addition of a breakfast and dressing room (perhaps this is the extension?). Beautiful description of slade road at the time.

1868 - another mention of Richard Lunt, already confirmed living at the residence during this year, his eldest daughter Harriet marries a M A Richard Tilsley, Esq, of High Grave, Stoke on Trent, at Aston Church by Rev J Casebow Barrat

At this time, I switched from searching for Salford House, to Hillside, which yielded much more info..

1896 - Wife of Frederic A Atkinson of Hillside, Erdington, gives birth to a baby boy at the property

1906 - I'm not sure if this is the same Hillside, as it lists Chester Road, however, I can't find any evidence of another Hillside beyond the one I'm researching. Either way, a Philip Louis Renouf is fined in court for failing to have a carriage licence for his motorcycle in his possession

1909 - M F J Heathcote, 9th July, Funeral held for Mr Heathcote of Hillside, Erdington, takes place at the family vault in Erdington Congregational Church on Monday afternoon, attended by a large concorse of spectators of over 200, including many high profile, nameworthy and upstanding citizens in the local community (so someone of good standing himself). Mr Heathcote had been president of Erdington PSA since 1894

1925 - (This is another I'm unsure of, attributed to Highfield House Private School. Highfield being the name of the separate Vila Highlands at this time, and Slade School existed at this time.. I have a book on Slade School's history but I don't believe any mention is made of a neighboring private schoolhouse. However, part of me thinks its makes a lot of sense to have repurposed the vila as a schoolhouse, with it literally over the fence from the local school)
25th September “Miss Norah Blackburn, a young teacher at Highfield House Private School, Birmingham, found a man in her bedroom when she returned there after lunch. The man walked towards another bedroom, but Miss Blackburn, who is small, struck him on the head and gripped him. The intruder was of powerful build, and he forced the girl from him. Miss Blackburn received a blow, which cut her neck, and the man then escaped down the stairs. A gold watch and wedding ring, belonging to the proprietress of the school, are missing”

1926 - 8th September, A J Thompson, of Hillside, Erdington used his house for the wedding reception for Mr G Horne (head of well known Messrs Geo Horne and Son Auctioneers) to Miss Hattie Porter (who wore mauve georgette, a mauve velvet hat, and a sable fur, the latter gift of the bridesgroom), Mr Thompson gave Miss Porter away. Married at Erdington Parish Church by the Rev Arthur E Legh Walker, before their Honeymoon to Llandudno.

What a lovely day from the sounds of it, hearing stories of a spinster living there, presumably at the end brings images to mind of the house from scooby doo, but to hear it was used for a wedding reception, for the owners friends, it's a lovely thought isn't it? So many new names, I'm not even sure how to research any of this, but even just to know, it's terrific for a place that's been near forgotten and dust for nearly a 100 years.

While it's more likely a lack of records, the trail goes completely cold prior to 1849.., apart from the 1833 map with no attached name, it's just a hunch, but I wonder if it had a different name prior to Salford House under Thomas Gammon

Also interesting to see some of the history of the residents of Hillside Road, and Chartley Road, as they popped up in searches. The family of a POW lived in Hillside Rd during the war, as well as vets of Burma, various people done for speeding, theft, drink driving a lorry through a wall, a mayor candidate, a button collector, someone who disappeared and turned up diseased on a bus in newcastle, a house was struck by lightning and the fireplace exploded not long after they were built.. (last time I joke about turning the TV off in a storm), and that's up to the early 50s! seems its quite common for its residents to have interesting histories..

Last edited:
I didn't want to triple post, but it wouldn't let me add more to my previous post, and I found some more interesting info on previous residents! I decided, after chatting with a school teacher friend of mine, to use Google Books search feature which yielded some very positive results!

I found a reference to a Mrs Robinson, Salford House Warwickshire?
1821 – (Ladies Schools in Communities, via The Laity's Directory to the Church Service, “For the terms of the School apply to Mrs Robinson")

Somehow I don't feel this is the same Salford House, but I've still included it.

More positive results though came in the form of:

Thomas Gammon, someone we're already very familiar with, but still worth mentioning
1850 – present in the History, gazetteer, and directory of Warwickshire

Henry Clive again too in
1878 – Salford House registered to Clive, Henry (Post Office directory). The last date of ownership of the house before for him was 1872, with him passing the residence to his son and his family by 1881

Arnold Feaver Atkinson
1896 - 14th March, only son of Frederic Arnold Atkinson, Hillside, Erdington, Birmingham (Charterhouse school register 1911, Charterhouse was, and still is a private school in Surrey England, most certainly this is the baby referenced as being born at the house to Frederic Feaver Atkinson).

And would you believe, after some digging on google and looked his father up, Frederic Feaver Atkinson happens to be one of the famous Atkinsons brothers of Atkinson's Brewery Ltd in Aston! This article even mentions Hillside as being his residence in the late 1800's:

William Bodell Parker
1908 – resident at Hillside, Gravelly Hill, Erdington (Kelly's Directory of Birmingham 1908)

Now after a Google search, I found a William Bodill Parker who died at Gravelly Hill, Erdington, Birmingham from Cronic Brights Disease in 1910, which to me, while it may be a coincidence, seems quite likely the right man, I even found a photo of him:

The only issue is it conflicts with the 1909 ownership by Mr F Heathcote,.. perhaps one lived in Hillside and the other Highfield?

Horace Edgar Bampton (Dentist) (born 1890-died 1960)
1912 – Resident at Hillside, Gravelly Hill, Erdington (new member of the British Dental Journal 1912)
1914 – Resident at Hillside Gravelly Hill (Transactions of the Sixth International Dental Congress)
1923 - Still registered as living here in the Dentist's register
If he is the same man, it seems in later life he was involved in a law firm in the city

I also found a photo of the railway bridge on ebay, from Slade Road toward the Erdington Arms, but before the houses on the right were built, so the house most definitely is just out of shot behind the tree line (typical!).

So to consolodate the timeline so far:

(Circa 1864)
“Family Residence, Excellent Dining, Drawing, and Breakfest rooms, seven Bedrooms, Dressing Room, Domestic Offices, Stabling and Coach houses, entrance lodge, extensive ornamental and kitchen gardens, vinery, and conservatory with 3 and a half achres of land. Excellent condition"

Owners (given dates are when we've found documents relating to the house and the named owner, proving ownership or rent at that date)

Mrs Robinson (Salford House Warwickshire?)
1821 – (Ladies Schools in Communities, via The Laity's Directory to the Church Service, “For the terms of the School apply to Mrs Robinson

?

Thomas Gammon – glass manufacturer – Gravelly Hill
Gammon and Sons Glass Manufacturers Belmont Glass Works Gt Brook St
1850 – present in the History, gazetteer, and directory of Warwickshire
1858 – Salford House up for sale, Thomas Gammon has passed, and the house has been in his possesion “for many years” with 32A 2R of land. Text seems to imply a “first rate Villa residence” has been added on some land (assuming Highlands), with the requirement to build another outbuilding. The lodge exists.

1854 – Aston station opened
1862 – Gravelly Hill station opened, line extended to Sutton Coldfield (so assuming bridge and track laid sometime during this period)

1861 12th April – American Civil War starts
1865 9th May – American Civil War ends

Henry Clive (Highfield House and Salford House) Gun barrel borer (Gun Barrel Works, 94 Baggot Street, Birmingham), Ran 62 achre Slade Farm?

Either Henry or his son is somehow involved in the American Civil War, and flees the country back here to Britain with family (dates match for Henry, but his son has an American wife and mother in law)

1861 census (Highfield)
1861 - Henry Clive, 40, Gun Barrel Maker, born near Kingsbury
- Jemima Susannah Clive, 56
- Robert Henry Clive, 20, Gun barrel maker, born Aston
- Mary Ann Hard, 24, Cook-Servant, born Whittacre
- Harriet Emma Evans, 18, Housekeeper, born Sutton
1861 – Cook wanted April 11th, used to managing a small dairy
1862 – April 21st, strong boy (farm hand) wanted, accustomed to farm service
1862 – May 28th, 21 Ewes and 32 Lambs for sale at the Lodge
1864 – September 22nd, Laundress for a family wanted
1864 – To let, by this time (comparing with the sale of the house in 1858) a Breakfast room, and Dressing room, have been added to the house in some capacity

Joseph Butler Chamberlain – Slade Lane
1866 (1865 seemingly moved to The Woodlands, Mosely)

Richard Lunt
1861 census (Salford House, while Henry lived in Highfield)
1868 – Saturday 11th of Jan, his eldest daughter, Harriet, marries a M A Richard Tilsley Esq of High Grave, near Stoke on Trent, at Aston Church by Rev J Casebow Barrat (Richard still lives at Salford House)

Henry Clive
1878 – Salford House registered to Clive, Henry (Post Office directory)

Mrs Clive (Highfield House)

Henry leaves Salford House to his son Robert, and moves to Slade House (later Brookvale Club, Anchorage Road)

Robert H Clive – son of Henry
1881 – Robert H Clive, 40, Hardware Merchant
Mary F Clive 37, born New York City USA
Mary F Crocker 67 (mother in law), born Boston, Mass USA
Gertrude Clive 12
Florence Clive 11
Clifford Clive 6
Dorothy Clive 3
Elda Clive 2
Jane Patchwork 34, Governess, Teacher, born Durham
Martha Robinson 41, Nurse, born Staffordshire
Mary Tibbits 26, Under Nurse, born Birmingham
Ellen Whitworth 28, cook, born Hockley
Mary Stevens, 34, Housekeeper

1889 “to be let or sold”

Named changed from Salford House/Highlands to Hillside/Highfield
Sometime between 1889-1896

? (assuming Mrs Ratcliffe Hoare?)
1890 – September 27th, Indoor Gardener wanted
1891 – April 22nd, sewing maid wanted, must understand dress making
1891 – June 18th, Gardener wanted, must understand vines and glass
1892 – February 9th, Gardener wanted, indoors

Frederic A Atkinson (famous brewer of Atkinson's brewery)
1896 -
21st March, Mr Atkinson's wife gives birth to a baby boy at Hillside, Erdington

Arnold Feaver Atkinson
1896 - 14th March, only son of Frederic Arnold Atkinson, Hillside, Erdington, Birmingham (Charterhouse school register 1911, Charterhouse was, and still is a private school in Surrey England, assuming this is the baby ref above)

William Bodell (Bodill) Parker (born 1860, died April 16th 1910)
1908 – resident at Hillside, Gravelly Hill, Erdington (Kelly's Directory of Birmingham 1908)
1910 – Dies at Gravelly Hill, Erdington, Birmingham from Cronic Brights Disease

Mr F J Heathcote
1909 –
9th July 1909 - Funeral held for Mr F Heathcote of Hillside, Erdington. Takes place at the family vault in Erdington Congregational Church on Monday afternoon, attended by a large concorse of spectators (including 200 male and female members of Erdington PSA, of which Mr Heathcote was president since 1894).

Horace Edgar Bampton (Dentist) (born 1890-died 1960)
1912 – Resident at Hillside, Gravelly Hill, Erdington (new member of the British Dental Journal 1912)
1914 – Resident at Hillside Gravelly Hill (Transactions of the Sixth International Dental Congress)
1923 - Still registered as living here in the Dentist's register

Makeshift WW1 hospital? (not on red cross records however)

Highfield House Private School (same as Highfield?)
1925 -
25th September - “Miss Norah Blackburn, a young teacher at Highfield House Private School, Birmingham, found a man in her bedroom when she returned there after lunch. The man walked towards another bedroom, but Miss Blackburn, who is small, struck him on the head and gripped him. The intruder was of powerful build, and he forced the girl from him. Miss Blackburn received a blow, which cut her neck, and the man then escaped down the stairs. A gold watch and wedding ring, belonging to the proprietress of the school, are missing”

A J Thompson (gave away Miss Porter at the reception)
1926 -
8th September – Hillside, Erdington used as the reception for Mr G Horne (of head of well known Messrs Geo Horne and Son Auctioners) to Miss Hattie Porter (who wore mauve georgette, a mauve velvet hat, and a sable fur, the latter gift of the bridesgroom). Married at Erdington Parish Church by the Rev Arthur E Legh Walker

Sarah Boulton – Spinster (assuming last, or one of the last, owners)
?

?
1934 (still present, complete with outbuildings, on land use maps)

1934-1935 Assumed demolished

1936-1937 Hillside Rd, Chartley Rd, Kegworth Rd built

Last edited:
Again I've run out of characters.., and the photo wouldn't load, so I had to post again, but I've found.... a picture!!! Yes, I've found it! At last, seeing a photo of salford bridge from britain from above got me thinking.., I checked the site.., and as luck would have it, they photographed the general electrical company works in Witton, using old OS maps to place burlington house, copeley hill, aston pumping station and the distinctive shape of salford park's lake, and tracing the line of the railway, this building is slap bang where Salford House is on all the maps:
50923590312_58b23ec8ce_b.jpg

You can see the old church on Gravelly Hill in the background, slade running along, gravelly going off at the perfect V shape, it all fits, and the chalkish white building just off center, adjacent to the bend in the railway, must be the house! Circa February 1930, 91 years ago.. fantastic.., Im off to check for more
50923478541_b5f78f3de1_b.jpg

An alternate view, slightly clearer:
50923630302_1c6f87f895_b.jpg

50925263497_7054edc80e_b.jpg

And a much clearer view from March 1921, much, much bigger than the OS maps suggest to my eyes

Absolute solid proof, same area, same landscape, but 1950s and Hillside/Kegworth/Chartley are all present
50922818593_91aae0ba17_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm more than happy to Whatsapp it to you, if your happy to swap phone numbers, if you prefer us to keep it to the forum though totally understand :)

No new photos or much info at least, but a few interesting bits and bobs, jamesg1977 found a photo of Joseph Thomas Chamberlain's grave, interred with his family at Key Hill Cemetry in Hockley:

I found a US site which has access to the UK Census' for free, did some digging for a bit, some years I couldn't find any info, but I did find records of the Clive family living there around 1871, first Henry's wife is listed as head of the house, then in another entry his son with his wife, two children, mother in law and various staff (present in our info ten years later), which suggests Henry's away at this point, or certain directories hadn't been updated. It also reveals his children grew up here, and based on an annotation, Robert's mother in law is blind, hence the nurse. Seems live the Clive family is perhaps the longest residents in it's history, either Henry or his son are attached in print in some manner from 1861 to when its up for sale in 1889.

I did find some new residents however! It seems by 1901 Frederic Atkinson and family has moved on, and a new family has taken residence:

Frank Powell (Hillside, Gravelly Hill, Erdington, Warwickshire)
1901 – Frank Powell 40, born 1861 (sample maker?)
N Powell 40, (wife)
E Powell 15, female, born 1886 (daughter)
F Perry 66, female, widowed born 1835 Woolavington London Erdington

It would seem a Hillside existed on the Chester Rd in the early 1900s, which explains one mystery entry which I've removed

Also interesting, as this has come up before, from Industrial River Tame, the history of the bridge and the name Salford:

"The present site of Salford Bridge is very near to an ancient crossing. According to William Fowler, writing in 1883, 'the ancient ford and bridge were situate about fifty yards higher up the stream than the present bridge and a very short distance above the old bridge'.* This is where Hawthorne Brook used to come into the Tame, now lost underground it can be spotted briefly along the Tame Valley Canal. The area here was good ground for a crossing point due to its gravelly nature (hence Gravelly Hill nearby). The name itself was originally Scaford or Scraford, the word scraet meaning cave; near to the original crossing there were caves formed in the sandstone rock, probably either by the river or by Hawthorne Brook. First mentioned in the 1400s, Fowler notes that the caves were 'known as the Dwarf holes, [and] are marked and so described on many ancient maps." (those famous caves!)

I also find myself looking at that clearer picture from the 20s.., I'm no expert, but some things strike me from looking at it. It almost looks as though as it's two or three houses combined, as the left looks older and more basic, more functional while the larger building to the right looks much more ornate (if it was all built at once, it looks like a very odd shape!) The shape matches the earliest OS however. Talking of maps.., it's interesting the odd triangular shapes around the buildings on old non OS maps, they look to match "the grounds" in the photo, at the back at least (i.e. they were "fenced" with decorative shrubbery as a border if that makes sense). Is that a victorian era greenhouse to the side, with the triangular shape? I also look at the trees and the lime tree grove.., could they date the house? They're fully grown, and the house is at least 90 at that stage, assuming they were planted and grew as time went on. Interesting to use Google Earth and it's 3D mode, to be nosy and see what's left from these photos too today!

As ever, if anyone has anything at all or any ideas, it's always appreciated!

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Thread by Squatter, a present day look around the area ?

Thanks for the link! Looks very interesting, someone else doing similar research on the area.., much appreciated! (I live locally but I don't quite get around to that side or the canals, great to see)

Again I've run out of characters.., and the photo wouldn't load, so I had to post again, but I've found.... a picture!!! Yes, I've found it! At last, seeing a photo of salford bridge from britain from above got me thinking.., I checked the site.., and as luck would have it, they photographed the general electrical company works in Witton, using old OS maps to place burlington house, copeley hill, aston pumping station and the the distinctive shape of salford park's lake, and tracing the line of the railway, this building is slap bang where Salford House is on all the maps:
50923590312_58b23ec8ce_b.jpg

You can see the old church on Gravelly Hill in the background, slade running along, gravelly going off at the perfect V shape, it all fits, and the chalkish white building just off center, adjacent to the bend in the railway, must be the house! Circa February 1930, 91 years ago.. fantastic.., Im off to check for more
50923478541_b5f78f3de1_b.jpg

An alternate view, slightly clearer:
50923630302_1c6f87f895_b.jpg

50925263497_7054edc80e_b.jpg

And a much clearer view from March 1921, much, much bigger than the OS maps suggest to my eyes

Absolute solid proof, same area, same landscape, but 1950s and Hillside/Kegworth/Chartley are all present
50922818593_91aae0ba17_b.jpg
well done...as i always say....they are out there somewhere

lyn

I was very interested to read about Salford house. The R H Clive mentioned was my gt gt uncle. And Henry Clive was his father. Henry made his fortune by being a gun barrel borer. He left Salford house, leaving Robert Clive to live there, and Henry went to live at Slade house. This house is now the brookvale club, I believe, on Anchorage rd. I have a copy of Henry's will which describes Slade house and his stable of horses and carriages. I would be happy to send anyone a copy of the will if they wished. Would love to see any photos of the house before it became a working mans club, if any exist that is.
Hi Samurai, I’d be very happy if you could share the copy of the will you have of your gt gt uncle, I’d love to know the details of Slade House, there isn’t much available online about it.
My family have lived in Mere Rd for over 60yrs and they’ve always been members and regular users of the Brookvale Social Club Anchorage Rd. Many family members have worked there and some now own stakes in it as it was sold a few years ago.
Its been a second home to us all, we remember it before it was renovated and extended further and parts of the original house are still there and clear to see in the small bar, cellar and upstairs mostly.
There have been many spirits seen there (and I don’t mean optics ) by several people too and due to our close connection I’ve tried to learn about its history.
People locally say it belonged to a Dr who left it to the community as a Working Men’s Club. Whilst owned by the Dr it was used as a small hospital during one war, possibly WW1? I’m interested to learn more about your family and hopefully discover more about Slade House so I’d be very grateful if you could share the will and any other information you have.
Many thanks

October 1918, Birmingham Post...

View attachment 156939
That’s amazing thank you. Do you know where this was advertised? Which paper and what year? What year it was sold?

*Sorry I’ve just sent the date poster above 1918, this was only a few years after my grandparents house was built in 1910 (if my memory serves me right from when I last looked at their deeds 5yrs ago).

Still no luck with pictures as such or new information, but I did find this rather intriguing piece

0088.jpg

From this site:

Now I don't think for a minute its Salford house, as the year is wrong, and its more likely one of the houses that is, or was along Gravelly Hill North now I guess, but its roof does roughly match the more ornate building facing Slade road in the overhead pictures, and is roughly the same size, I would guess, as that part of the house, at the very least it gives an idea of what it might've looked like (I was pretty happy finding it! Its certainly the closest out of all the unidentified pictures of old Erdington houses I've found. Perhaps it was extended in the late 1800s to match the more residential properties being developed nearby at the time?).

On Britain from Above, you can see the very back of the gardens in quite good detail, seeing that, as of the 20s at least, it's grounds seem to stretch to the road leading to the electrical works in witton, the magnet club and its playing field, with a near enough clear view to brookvale park.. incredible. I'll have to scan it in but a photo in this direction, roughly at the same time taken on Copeley Hill is in Bygone Erdington and reproduced in The Story of Erdington.

Browsing the records for Aston Parish Church I found the following vestry note and transcribed it (keeping the spelling). The note is dated 1704 but I'm not sure which house it relates to. It does give a couple of names however. Mr Addis was living at Moor Hall at the time. There can't have been many properties in The Slade at that time.

Memorandum yt Mr Addis of Moor Hall paid his proportion of Having ye seats in Aston Church made Vniform; He hath 4 kneelings belonging to his house in Eardington Slade now Jnhabited by Joseph Hancom.

As Slade House has been discussed here I wanted to note that it has recently closed, well the Brookvale Social Club Anchorage Rd, which Slade House is part of has. It is going to be sold. Only from above can we see the remain of the old estate house (due to ground floor extensions). There is so much history here, I wish I could find more.

Attachments

• D221AD6F-4A8A-4E7D-844F-E1EA71EC6FF8.jpeg
    D221AD6F-4A8A-4E7D-844F-E1EA71EC6FF8.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 6
I’m sorry that photo is distorted, I copied it from Google Earth. I could have access to the keys if I asked so I should arrange to go and take some inside photos as some areas, the cellar and main bar layout etc were part of Slade house and hold some old features.
I’m really worried that the whole building will be destroyed and it’s history lost forever.

Attachments

• B6E10C8C-0B75-488A-9126-A28DE7AD5372.jpeg
    B6E10C8C-0B75-488A-9126-A28DE7AD5372.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back