• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford House Erdington Birmingham

jamesg1977

master brummie
On the site of what is now Kegworth Rd Erdington there was a house called Salford House would anyone information on this or any of the owners/occupations, would really be interested to know when it was constructed/demolished?

Thanks

James Gibson

Looks as though you have been trying to trace the history of this house for sometime now James. Have you tried Erdington Library? That is the one place where they may be able to help. They have an active History Group that operates out of there as well as having reference material of local items. Otherwise, the Reference Section of the Main Library in Birmingham is a place to ask about Salford House. There isn't much left of the buildings on Copeley Hill these days, just a special needs home at 55 Copeley Hill which has photos on the Liberty Care Homes site. I looked it up on Google earth as well. I remember Burlington House which, of course has long gone. When Spaghetti Junction was built it wiped out the lovely open country feel of this area.

Hi JennyAnn

Its always been a fascination for me since i was a child, in the mid eighties i lived with my grandparents at no20 Kegworth Rd. One afternoon my neighbour was trying to sink posts for a new fence when they hit brickwork upon digging they found lots of broken brickwork and some pottery! My mom who has always been keen on local history started researching the site of where we lived and found Salford House. She found that a Thomas Gammon a local glass manufacturer lived there also at one point in time a spinster called Sarah Boulton. From looking at the ordanance survey map of the time it looked like a big house. What makes it more interesting for me is the fact that as a child in that house on three occasions i saw ghosts! Im a natural skeptic to such things but i still cannot explain what i saw and felt as a child in that house. Im nearly 35 now and it still fascinates me. Recently i discovered that a former American Civil War Soldier owned the house. I would love to know how close to our home the building was and what it looked like.

Regards

James

James open the thread "Trafalgar Street Nechells" I put a map on *2 the spelling is wrong(as we know it)but it may have been correct at the time. Dek

Dek

Thats the one!! So it was their as early as 1813 then WOW! Would you say that Salford House was a considersable size? I notice too that this is pre Burlington House also!

Dek

Thats the one!! So it was their as early as 1813 then WOW! Would you say that Salford House was a considersable size? I notice too that this is pre Burlington House also!

James

James I have no other info only the map it certainly looks dominant on the hill, must have been a house of good standing.Dek

Hello James,how did you get the year 1813 as the map is dated 1866 by Mikejee on post*11 of the Trafalgar thread the railway lines can be clearly seen and would not have been there at the early date.Dek

Dek

I got the date from post #1 , my mistake, however the date 1866 is not attached to the picture in post #2 which is where i saw the aforementioned map, however i have just scrolled down to post #11 and have seen the date you mention. Quite honestly wasnt looking out for the railway lines on the map. However it does pre-date Copeley Hill and Burlington House.

I dont know how to attach pictures to the thread but i have found a map of 1921 and the building is still there but is called Hillside House and adjacent to it is a similar sized property called The Highlands.

James

O.K. James at least it was there pre 1866 as the railway appears to cut through the grounds. I think it,s a good assumption to say the house was there considerably earlier than that date.The map shows 2 buildings within the grounds maybe stables or maybe the plot got broken up due to the railway on the front doorstep so to speak and one of the buildings became Highland House just a notion. Dek

In the 1850 directory there is a
Gammon Mr Thomas Salford House

in the 1849 directory there is a
Gammon Thomas Glass manufacturer; house Slade rd Erdington

Gammon & sons glass manufacturers Belmont Glass Works Gt Brook St

I think you have an excellent point there Dek, do you know of any way of comparing the map you showed me with googlemaps? Just to get an idea of where those buildings would have lay? The idea is a longshot i know but just curious

I think you have an excellent point there Dek, do you know of any way of comparing the map you showed me with googlemaps? Just to get an idea of where those buildings would have lay? The idea is a longshot i know but just curious
Sorry James I,m not that clever But lets hope someone else can. From the map it shows the house on the Witton side of the railway but I know for sure the line is cut through a deep gulley at that point I would say it was on the top of the hill between the railway the the old GEC sport grounds. Dek

Below is the 1890 OS map superimposed fully and with 50% transparency on google. The older map on the thread was horribly different (lichfield rd, railways and slade road were all at incorrect angles, and didn't seem to be in a true verticsl north-south position) and couldn't be superimposed

1890_map_superimposed_on_google_for_Salford_house_1.jpg

1890_map_superimposed_on_google_for_Salford_house_2.jpg

That is amazing Mikejee thankyou so much! Its looking more and more likely now that my old address 20 Kegworth Rd sits right on top of where Salford House used to stand!

Regards

James

Back