• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ROBERT JONES Lyndon Road

There are lots of Lewis/Davies births registered in Merthyr Tydfil and no way to tell from that if any are hers.

There are no children with them on the 1921 census. I don't know it there are any blanked out lines on the 1939 register that may indicate that there were some.

The David J born 1910 is on the 1911 census with Wlliam (no T listed) and Elizabeth. William works in a colliery. Is this your William??

The Elizabeth Lewis who becomes Richards (in 1940) is listed on the 1939 living alone. She is listed as widowed and is the widow of the Benjamn form the newspaper article.

I don't think the William T who married Elizabeth Lewis is the one listed on the 1939 with the two boys. T

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The David J born 1910 is on the 1911 census with Wlliam (no T listed) and Elizabeth. William works in a colliery. Is this your William??

The Elizabeth Lewis who becomes Richards (in 1940) is listed on the 1939 living alone. She is listed as widowed and is the widow of the Benjamn form the newspaper article.

I don't think the William T who married Elizabeth Lewis is the one listed on the 1939 with the two boys. T
Is there an address willam T richards lives at 1

William T Richards married Elizabeth Harding in 1910 in Bridgend. These are the parents of David J and VictorHarding marriage.jpg

By 1959 eroll Elizabeth is no longer at Bryncoed Mr James i still listed there in 1974 - the last year I could find. Not that it helps find Elizabeth
1689520294529.png

Last edited:
1939 reg - this must be the William T who marries Elizabeth Lewis in 1940. Therefore the William and Elizabeth who are the parents of David J and Victor are not the correct ones.
1689522665334.png

Yes please

This is the address they lived at
Yes - so it looks as if Elizabeth moved out (sold it??) after William died. However, I did look at the erolls and there are too many Elizabeth A Richards to know which one is her. The only thing you can do is gamble on the death cert (1965 as per post 649) to see where she was living when she died. But you do now know someone else was living there from around the time William died.
elizabeth death.JPG

Yes - so it looks as if Elizabeth moved out (sold it??) after William died. However, I did look at the erolls and there are too many Elizabeth A Richards to know which one is her. The only thing you can do is gamble on the death cert (1965 as per post 649) to see where she was living when she died. But you do now know someone else was living there from around the time William died.
View attachment 181964
Thank you so much

I have found Elfeds daughter on facebook she messaged me.Elfed and Barbara divorced and he remarried then divorced they still live in caerphilly. And Elfed is alive but in hospital.

So Elfed would be your grandad's cousin and Claire your dad's second cousin?

Which for close families is usually when contact is lost, for those that aren't close they might never even meet a cousin.

Elfed is my great grandads brother so it would make my dad and Elfed 2nd Cousins. William was my dads grandad so yes my grandads cousin.

Do you know what the uniform is the peron is wesring in this pic. Not the navy one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230718-193512_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718-193512_Messenger.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I used to walk up Lyndon Road every day to get to school - Chapel Fields Junior. 232 Lyndon Road is not far from the school. If you start from The Wheatsheaf on Coventry Road, and head towards Birmingham, it's the first road on the left, with Tesco on the corner. The Lyndon Road estate was built in the late 1930's, so people living in Deakins Road, Hay Mills, would be first in the queue when the houses went up for sale. My father was the same. He lived in Small Heath, and moved to Coverdale Road, which is off Lyndon Road, when the houses were completed. Strangely enough to your story, my fathers journey also began in Merthyr Tydfil.

I used to walk up Lyndon Road every day to get to school - Chapel Fields Junior. 232 Lyndon Road is not far from the school. If you start from The Wheatsheaf on Coventry Road, and head towards Birmingham, it's the first road on the left, with Tesco on the corner. The Lyndon Road estate was built in the late 1930's, so people living in Deakins Road, Hay Mills, would be first in the queue when the houses went up for sale. My father was the same. He lived in Small Heath, and moved to Coverdale Road, which is off Lyndon Road, when the houses were completed. Strangely enough to your story, my fathers journey also began in Merthyr Tydfil.
How interesting is your father welsh whats his name

His father died in 1923, when my father was about 12. If you look at the 1921 census for Merthyr, so many were unemployed. Whole families like mine moved to Birmingham for work.

His father died in 1923, when my father was about 12. If you look at the 1921 census for Merthyr, so many were unemployed. Whole families like mine moved to Birmingham for work.
Is you dad still alive i wonder if he knew my great grandparents that lived in Lyndon rd

Is you dad still alive i wonder if he knew my great grandparents that lived in

Pjmburns and MWS
apparently there was a gladys who married George that lived in Troedyrhiw Glantaff road i think and a Blodwen who are relations, Aunties, cousin but i cant seem to find them they think its from the Jones side but could be williams there is a gladys, blodwen and families on Janes obituary. Can you help Elfed who was born in 1950 kind of remembers them going to there houses but thats it his memory osnt great

I did speculate on that relationship previous but I wasn't really certain...

I can connect some names together though not to Jane yet.

Auntie Maria is Maria Jones (nee Davies) the mother of Ken, Gwladys Griffiths and Blodwen Evans, and grandmother of Arthur Owen Griffiths (pageboy).

Maria Davies was the wife of an Edward Thomas Jones and they came from Denbigh/Montgomeryshire. The likely connection would seem to be through Edward and Jane's grandmother, Margaret Jones but her father is a William and Edward wasbrother illegitimate and his grandfather was a Thomas.

If William and Thomas were brothers I think it would mean that Gwladys and Blodwen would be the same generation as Jane so 'cousins' and Maria, their mother, 'auntie' but that's a pretty big if.
So is Edwards Surname Thomas he would be Sarah williams half brother im a bit confused

Back