• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ROBERT JONES Lyndon Road

18th May 1954 is the death for Robert.
MWS was trying to trace the death of William which is why he referred to Lyndon road as well.
In confused on Roberts marriage certificate if william had died would it not say deceased like my nans dad was. So i assumed William was still alive at the end of 1946. Is it possible he sold the house in lyndon road and moved back to wales and died there

In confused on Roberts marriage certificate if william had died would it not say deceased like my nans dad was. So i assumed William was still alive at the end of 1946. Is it possible he sold the house in lyndon road and moved back to wales and died there
The house sale was 1954 well after the marriage. MWS is suggesting William died in 1952.
If you contact Yardley Cemetery and ask about Gladys buried March 1945 they may be able to tell you if William is in the same grave and if it was 1952.
Also give you a grave plot number.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS

With a name like Jones, there's quite a lot of uncertainty unfortunately, especially when there's nothing to corroborate.

As you surmise it seems probable that William was alive when Robert married. The death for William Jones in 1952 I mentioned has a couple details that match - age and reg. district (house sale as well) - but it's impossible to be sure.

He may have moved back to Wales but unless you have insider info (so to speak) again no way to know. I'm also now very doubtful that he had a middle name.

However, the death you mention for a William Owen Jones born 11th May 1898, is someone else. Clwyd is N E Wales, Merthr Tydfil is in S Wales.

My nan said she died around the 2nd world war so death date of 1945 could be the right gladys.
If it was me then I would contact Yardley. They should be able to tell you if William is buried there as well and give a date.

With a name like Jones, there's quite a lot of uncertainty unfortunately, especially when there's nothing to corroborate.

As you surmise it seems probable that William was alive when Robert married. The death for William Jones in 1952 I mentioned has a couple details that match - age and reg. district (house sale as well) - but it's impossible to be sure.

He may have moved back to Wales but unless you have insider info (so to speak) again no way to know. I'm also now very doubtful that he had a middle name.

However, the death you mention for a William Owen Jones born 11th May 1898, is someone else. Clwyd is N E Wales, Merthr Tydfil is in S Wales.
Ok so definitely not the one in wales.will keep looking thank you

It's Solihull, Mar qtr 1952. Aged is given as 53.

As Janice says, hopefully if the Gladys buried at Yardley cemetery is the correct one then perhaps William will be with her, confirming if the above is right or wrong.

It's Solihull, Mar qtr 1952. Aged is given as 53.

As Janice says, hopefully if the Gladys buried at Yardley cemetery is the correct one then perhaps William will be with her, confirming if the above is right or wrong.
Thank you will call them monday all these dates get confusing sometimes

Can i just say a bit thank you to bjmburns and MWS and anyone else that has helped. for all your help, in helping me trace my Jones side of the family i really appreciate it. 6 plus years i have been trying to trace them with limited information, until i joined this forum and with in 2 days i have so much more information. Thank you all so much xx

As mentioned Robert is listed at 232 Lyndon Road on the 1939 register. He is there with his mother Gladys and brother Dennis. His father is not listed with them but there may be some reasons for this.

Blanche and her mother, Sarah, are listed at 87 Monica Road.
Hi
Is there any chance you can have a look for me and see who was living in lyndon road between 1945 and 1952 i cant do it on my ancestry site for some reason.

Unfortunately, Lyndon Road (or some part it) comes under Solihull and the ERs for Solihull are not online as far a I know. You'd have to physically look at them wherever they're kept.

Unfortunately, Lyndon Road (or some part it) comes under Solihull and the ERs for Solihull are not online as far a I know. You'd have to physically look at them wherever they're kept.
Oh ok didnt realise.could you send me news paper article for the house sale you found if thars ok.Also thanks to you and pmjburns i have now located Gladys grave and found out my Grandad Robert was cremated and his ashes scattered on Gladys grave. My Dad and his brothers now have some answers to questions never answered.Thank you both again

Oh ok didnt realise.could you send me news paper article for the house sale you found if thars ok.Also thanks to you and pmjburns i have now located Gladys grave and found out my Grandad Robert was cremated and his ashes scattered on Gladys grave. My Dad and his brothers now have some answers to questions never answered.Thank you both again

That's good.

The newspaper is on findmypast but it's just a single line amongst other properties - £2750 Sheldon. 232 Lyndon Road - no description.

Did they say if there was a gravestone? Or give you a number for the plot?

And talking of gravestones, if you're interested in looking further back then this is one of the earliest gravestones I've come across (for an ordinary person) from 1840. She was a 2 x great grandmother of Robert William Jones on his maternal side and you'll see a link to her husband (Robert's 2 x g grandfather) who appears to have emigrated to Delaware...

Did they say if there was a gravestone? Or give you a number for the plot?
I had to buy the burial paper work for Gladys and Robert. I got plot numbers Gladys is buried my grandad was cremated and ashes scattered on her grave. My uncle and Aunt went there today there is no head stone and all over grown.I’m trying to find William now I know he died in 1952 but hoping he is in yardley somewhere too. But there are three William jones in yardley that were buried that year

And talking of gravestones, if you're interested in looking further back then this is one of the earliest gravestones I've come across (for an ordinary person) from 1840. She was a 2 x great grandmother of Robert William Jones on his maternal side and you'll see a link to her husband (Robert's 2 x g grandfather) who appears to have emigrated to Delaware...

Are they related to my family

I had to buy the burial paper work for Gladys and Robert. I got plot numbers Gladys is buried my grandad was cremated and ashes scattered on her grave. My uncle and Aunt went there today there is no head stone and all over grown.I’m trying to find William now I know he died in 1952 but hoping he is in yardley somewhere too. But there are three William jones in yardley that were buried that year
I would have expected William to be in the same grave or for his ashes to be scattered there as well.
Pity there was no stone.
If you know the exact date of his death (from death cert) then you should be able to identify which is his burial.
A March quarter registration rules out the burial in July so you are down to 2.

Last edited:
I would have expected William to be in the same grave or for his ashes to be scattered there as well.
Pity there was no stone.
If you know the exact date of his death (from death cert) then you should be able to identify which is his burial.
All i have is he died in 1952 i cant access the 1921 census so dont know exactly

Are they related to my family

Yes, as said they were the 2 x great grandparents of Robert (your grandad?). Thomas and Susannah were the parents of Susannah Johnson b1834, who was the mother of Herbert Shirley b1863, who was the father of Gladys Winifred Shirley b1897, mother of Robert William Jones.

Yes, as said they were the 2 x great grandparents of Robert (your grandad?). Thomas and Susannah were the parents of Susannah Johnson b1834, who was the mother of Herbert Shirley b1863, who was the father of Gladys Winifred Shirley b1897, mother of Robert William Jones.
Thank you for that will add the picture to my tree. Just looked at my tree and i do have all those names on it.

Back