• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ROBERT JONES Lyndon Road

Further investigation into the 1921 census and William Owen Jones lists his birthplace as Rhiwlas, Carnarvonshire and I think I've found him and his family in Merthyr Tydfil in 1911 and his family still there in 1921.

Searching for surname Jones and birthplace Rhiwlas in 1921 results in amongst others a Jane Jones aged 21 living in Merthyr Tydfil with her parents - Owen David & Sarah Ann - and 2 brothers - Idwal and Arfon.

Then going back to the 1911 census I've found the family in Merthyr Tydfil with William and an elder brother, David Owen. William's and Jane's birthplace is the same though Llanderminster.

The address in both 1911 and 1921 is Angus St, which would seem to confirm they are the same family.

Owen David Jones married Sarah Ann Williams, Jun qtr 1895. Helps a little with the birth but there are still more than hal a dozen birth registrations for a William Owen Jones, mmn Williams in Carnarvonshire about the right time.

By the way the entry on 1939 reg does not come up easily on Ancestry. I found it eventually with difficulty.
Question - if the "blanked" entry is Arthur (eldest child) where is Dennis born 1925? As well as William?

On findmypast there is no Arthur or William listed, just Gladys, Robert & Dennis. Don't know about any other blanks,

Arthur and William may be away due to the war.

If there is no blank after Robert then I'd guess that it's Dennis despite being 'out of order'.

Arthur shouldn't be blanked but as we know that doesn't mean he isn't.

Unfortunately, I don't think electoral rolls are available online for Lyndon Road as Olton comes under Solihull and not Birmingham.
So we cannot trace residence.

Question for NickieJ - how well do you know Birmingham and area?
I was born in Birmingham but lived west heath kings norton way.we moved down south in about 1991 when i was about 13 so dont really know it well. I have to ask my dad where everything is.

It looks as if Gladys, immediately prior to her marriage, was in the Womens RAF. However, I cannot be certain it is the right person.

This is on Ancestry
My nan said she died around the 2nd world war so death date of 1945 could be the right gladys. William jones was from merthyr Tydfil so the marriage there could quite possibly be them.

I appreciate all the help you are all giving me. Robert jones was in the RAF as an engineer on the planes stationed in India. I cant find his records fir that.This is what i have on Dennis

William jones was still alive in 1946 as it states on roberts marriage certificate. My nans dad had died so it stated deceased.

I appreciate all the help you are all giving me. Robert jones was in the RAF as an engineer on the planes stationed in India. I cant find his records fir that.This is what i have on Dennis
Did you realise ww2 records are not available on Ancestry except via other sites?

If there is no blank after Robert then I'd guess that it's Dennis despite being 'out of order'.

Arthur shouldn't be blanked but as we know that doesn't mean he isn't.
Apologies the blank must be Robert. I read it in a hurry as multitasking this mornng o_O

Further investigation into the 1921 census and William Owen Jones lists his birthplace as Rhiwlas, Carnarvonshire and I think I've found him and his family in Merthyr Tydfil in 1911 and his family still there in 1921.

Searching for surname Jones and birthplace Rhiwlas in 1921 results in amongst others a Jane Jones aged 21 living in Merthyr Tydfil with her parents - Owen David & Sarah Ann - and 2 brothers - Idwal and Arfon.

Then going back to the 1911 census I've found the family in Merthyr Tydfil with William and an elder brother, David Owen. William's and Jane's birthplace is the same though Llanderminster.

The address in both 1911 and 1921 is Angus St, which would seem to confirm they are the same family.

Owen David Jones married Sarah Ann Williams, Jun qtr 1895. Helps a little with the birth but there are still more than hal a dozen birth registrations for a William Owen Jones, mmn Williams in Carnarvonshire about the right time.
So owen david jones and Sarah Ann Williams are williams parents

Jones is not an easy name to trace but this is a recap as I see it...

1895 Jun qtr, Bangor - Marriage reg. for Owen David Jones & Sarah Ann Williams.
1896 Llanllechid - David Owen Jones born.
1898 Llanddeinilion/Rhiwlas - William Jones born.
1901 Llanddeinilion/Rhiwlas - Jane Jones born.
1901 - 1903 - family move to Merthyr Tydfil
1903 Merthyr Tydfil - Idwal Jones born
1910 Merthyr Tydfil - Arfon Jones born.
1911 census - family living Angus St, Merthyr Tydil
1919 Jun qtr, Merthyr Tydfil - Marriage reg. for William Owen & Gladys Winifred Shirley.
1920 Bham (Aston) - Arthur Owen Jones born
1921 census - family still living Angus St, Merthyr Tydfil
1921 census - William, Gladys & Arthur living Deakins Road, Birmingham (Kings Norton)
1921 Bham (Kings Norton) - Robert William Jones born
1925 Bham - Dennis Jones born
1939 register - Gladys, Robert & Dennis living Lyndon Road, Solihull
1945 Mar qtr, Solihull - Death reg. for Gladys Winifred Jones (Shirley)

I think it was me that said Robert's father was William Owen Jones but apart from the 1921 census when he is listed as
William O there is no evidence that he had a middle name.

Thanks.
Just wondered as 1939 eroll has a William Jones lodging at 147. Not there on 1939 reg though. Probably coincidence as common name.

Probably another coincidence - there is a death for a William Jones, of about the right age, Mar qtr 1952 Solihull and in 1954 it appears (Bham Daily Gazette) that 232 Lyndon Road is for sale.

Jones is not an easy name to trace but this is a recap as I see it...

1895 Jun qtr, Bangor - Marriage reg. for Owen David Jones & Sarah Ann Williams.
1896 Llanllechid - David Owen Jones born.
1898 Llanddeinilion/Rhiwlas - William Jones born.
1901 Llanddeinilion/Rhiwlas - Jane Jones born.
1901 - 1903 - family move to Merthyr Tydfil
1903 Merthyr Tydfil - Idwal Jones born
1910 Merthyr Tydfil - Arfon Jones born.
1911 census - family living Angus St, Merthyr Tydil
1919 Jun qtr, Merthyr Tydfil - Marriage reg. for William Owen & Gladys Winifred Shirley.
1920 Bham (Aston) - Arthur Owen Jones born
1921 census - family still living Angus St, Merthyr Tydfil
1921 census - William, Gladys & Arthur living Deakins Road, Birmingham (Kings Norton)
1921 Bham (Kings Norton) - Robert William Jones born
1925 Bham - Dennis Jones born
1939 register - Gladys, Robert & Dennis living Lyndon Road, Solihull
1945 Mar qtr, Solihull - Death reg. for Gladys Winifred Jones (Shirley)

I think it was me that said Robert's father was William Owen Jones but apart from the 1921 census when he is listed as
William O there is no evidence that he had a middle name.
Omg that you so much for your help you have gathered alot of information i am so grateful.

Probably another coincidence - there is a death for a William Jones, of about the right age, Mar qtr 1952 Solihull and in 1954 it appears (Bham Daily Gazette) that 232 Lyndon Road is for sale.
I do have his death certificate. He died 18th may 1954 at selly oak hospital.He was living with my nan then married address 1/59 Darwin Street Bham.

Ok, which means the Solihull death was just a coincidence but the newspaper ad for the house sale is probably related to William's death.

To trace any further back with your Jones family would require certificates though due to the names even then it might not help and there's a risk of purchasing the wrong ones which could prove costly.

As said previous your Shirley side is somewhat easier.

I used to live in Lyndon Road, Olton; there is also a Lyndon Road in Acocks Green/Yardley. 232 Lyndon Road Olton will be at the Coventry Road end of the road and from memory - I have not lived in the UK for nearly 20 years - pretty well all the building at that end was post-war. Obviously there will have been a property at that address prior to that. Again from memory, the other Lyndon Road is much shorter, and addresses may not stretch as far as 232.

Last edited:
I do have his death certificate. He died 18th may 1954 at selly oak hospital.He was living with my nan then married address 1/59 Darwin Street Bham.
A little confused. Is the death certificate you mentioned in post #53 for William or Robert?
18th May 1954 is the death for Robert.
MWS was trying to trace the death of William which is why he referred to Lyndon road as well.

Are Gladys and William both buried at Yardley? I think the 1952 Solhull death could be correct for William.

Back