• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Purging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People of my mother's generation seemed quite pre-occupied with regular bowel movements, she regularly boiled up senna pods and leaves and if we didn't 'go' regularly we were given a dose,the only problem was we didn't have nice soft lavatory paper, it was the Birmingham mail ripped into sheets and put on a nail in the outside loo. There were also remedies available from the chemist including chewing-gum, chocolate, and raspberry flavoured lozenges.
senna pods, ex-lax aaaaaaa.... and now sugar free sweets and

What Turned Sugar-Free Candies Into Super-Laxatives?

Ah, more memories, but it was not only our mother's and Dr Charles Hill, the Radio Doctor that worried about our bowels, today in hospital it is there on the daily list of food and drink you have taken, pill times, dressings done and yes, have the bowels been opened to day and when you are discharged amongst the boxes of pills you are given......a box of laxative tablets, to be taken if needed. And they work, bring back prunes.
Bob

before i had a bowl op the hospital gave me a 2 pack that you mixed together in a pint of cold water, after a few mins it was hot you drank it all. and got ready for blast off :worried:

before i had a bowl op the hospital gave me a 2 pack that you mixed together in a pint of cold water, after a few mins it was hot you drank it all. and got ready for blast off :worried:
Yes, those laxatives the hospital give you are, to say the least, quite effective.

My mom was a nurse and obsessed with regular bowel movement so Friday night before bed it was senna granules to get things moving the next morning needed or not. Right up until her death when I phoned the first question she'd ask is 'are you regular'. I don't remember the word 'purge' being used, she'd say 'a good clear out'.

She died before the introduction of the Bristol Stool Chart but if it had been around in her day I'm sure she'd have had a chart framed and hung on the wall https://www.continence.org.au/bristol-stool-chart warning, graphic images ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back