• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

Does anyone know the name of the pub that was on the corner of Whitehead Road & Barton Bank in Aston? A photo would be great.

Was it this one?

Attachments

• The Scotch House high st and whitehead road aston.jpg
    The Scotch House high st and whitehead road aston.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 54
Banjo, looking through my Kelly's (1948) I have found two pubs in that area, The White Swan 74 Victoria Road, corner of Whitehead Road, and The Travellers Rest at 37 Whitehead Road, corner of Bartons Bank. I hope this helps

Sorry mikejee, to busy typing to see your post

hi jimbow
you are correct on the white swan pub being on the corner of victoria road and white head road
and you could be qiite right about the travellers rest
but i do know that the white swann is correct as l lived actoss the road from it and used it
i lived at 47 victoria road and at the same time there was a doctors house surgery living direcrtly on whitehead road
and he has bars on is house windows and doors and he used to own and drive around in a huge pink american cadilac
always parked out side , and he was the very first person or should i say the very first doctor
to charge his patience for the visit to see him but he then lost alot of his patiencs
they refused to pay him and they went elsewhere further down to the other lot of doctors surgery on park road
by buckinghams chemist and the old victoria picture house on victoria road
the old swann was revamped and moderned ised and extentented about ninty sixties
they made it flush and cosy and good west indian music bands performed there
best wishes Astonian,,,

Thanks for your help folks. The Travellers Rest it was. Actually, I also lived opposite the White Swan in the 60s at 80 Victoria Road. In fact, my Aunt Betty Middleham ran it about 1959.

Okay banjo, brillient so i can blame her for me over the limit trying to cross that victoria road
even thou there was the pelican crossing and my dear old mother used to tell me off
but i will say it was a nice drop of ale and the reasoon for a pub to serve good glass of ale is to clean the pipes regular
oh and yes they always made you welcome there Banjo
and may i add, without sounding my trumpet during my younger years of manhood
i was told by other licencees that i kept a good dop of guiness down in digbeth
Astonian;;;;

Hi Astonian, this photo is a bit before our time I suspect but, this is the White Swan I remember when Aunt Betty ran it in 1959.

Attachments

• White Swan Pub.jpg
    White Swan Pub.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 82
And the pub in post#1 is the Beeches at Northfield (now demolished) not the one on the Beeches Estate ...:)

Post 701 is yes the pub called the resovoir and yes its on the corner of lichfield road aston mow
and its actualy facing across the road of the Aston Resovoir and it would be the next public house down and on the opersite side of the road to the kingedwards public house on the corner of llchfield road and aston hall road

I have changed the title of this thread as the original title "Another Old Pub" doesn't seem to be registering through a search. Hope " Pubs of the past" can now be found via a search. Viv.

zz.jpeg
My dad used to be in the Gospel Oak crown green bowls team and when had away an match at this pub and several others he would take mom and us three kids to watch.

Hello Rich, I'm sorry have not got back sooner, been trying to hunt down the picture of "Ye Old Gate Inn Pub" for you,
well apparantly my dad has got a photo of them getting married at The Gate, so I will get it, but I don't think there is much
of the pub on it's own. It was my Grand Parents who were the licencee's Horace and Lilian Gibson, they had Three Children
Hazel, Eunice and Ron. You would think that there is a picture some where in our Family. Deb (djf)
Hi I wonder if you have found the pics of the gate in booth st handsworth we had our wedding reception there in 1967 I think the landlords at the time were the Daniels thanks

A pub in St James' Place next to derelict buildings. None of the pub windows are broken, net curtains upstairs maybe it was still open when this photo was taken. I have not yet been able to find the name of the pub .... if it had one ...
click the pic to see it enlarged
St James Place.jpg

Phil

As far as I am aware it was never more than a beer house so a name was never recorded in Kelly's. The last landlord I can find is Arthur James Fairbrother 28 St James Place Vauxhall. So perhaps someone with access to census information might be able to find a name. It would have to be before they built the Co op Dairy in the 1920's.

Last edited:
Phil

As far as I am aware it was never more than a beer house so a name was never recorded in Kelly's. The last landlord I can find is Arthur James Fairbrother 28 St James Place Vauxhall. So perhaps someone with access to census information might be able to fond a name. It would have to be before they built the Co op Dairy in the 1920's.
Have to admit I did not know the difference between a beer house and a pub, so I went to my old friend Google who sent me back here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/beerhouse-keeper.3001/#post-19809
and now I know ...:)

CORRECTION
The early censii do name the pub, though I mistook the name for the occupation of the landlord, as it was known as the Brewer & Baker, at least in 1871 and 1881, and this is confirmed by the prosecution and fining of the landlord (Ezekiel Sanders) in 1870

I am having soem problems establishing where it was, I thought I had definitely worked it out as being in the blank area on the southwest side of the steeet on the c1889 map, but then realised that, as it continued in to the 20th century, then either the area was not really blank, or somehow I'd got it wrong

Mike you might be able to work it out more easily from this copy of the photo that I have, as you can see it shows the pub only 4 doors away from the Railway Viaduct.

Vauxhall St James Place.JPG

Thanks Phil, thta makes it pretty certain where it was. Below is a modified c1889 map, with addition of extra 3 rail tracks , which was carried out in the early 1900s, for which one house would be demolished (c1903 map shows only three houses in that terrace, not 4), which makes no 28 the building in red. Reckon the census takers must have gone round in circles when doing their census, at least in 1861 and 1890, which were the two I examined to try and work out where it was.
map st james place c 1889., with modification to show widening of railway.jpg

Nice detective work !

Re post #1251, an interpretation of pubs, taverns etc from "Voices from the World of Samuel Pepys" John Bastable. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back