• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Lyn
In 1900 John McConnal ran a beer retailer at 276 New town Row, so presumably this was the Cottage of Content.shown in red below

map_c_1889_showing_cottage_od_content_pub__276_Newtown_row.jpg

Lyn

The Cottage of Content was at 276 Newtown Row and in 1903 it was listed as a beer retailer owned or run by a John Mc Connal. 276 was located on New Town Row between Cowper Street and Milton Street.

(added later) Sorry once again Mike we must have been posting at the same time.

Some of my moms family lived in Kyrwicks Lane, remember she used to send Christmas cards, think their surname may have been Kettle but not sure

Any ideas which pub this was? It's on the corner of Ashted Row and Windsor Street South. Viv

image.jpeg

Vivenne 14, there was a Dog and Partridge listed in Kelly's 1948 on the corner of Windsor Street and Ashted Row. Could this be it?

Sounds possible Jimbo, thanks. Very surprised this has been left standing. It's on a corner all on its own. Looks like its now flats. Viv.

Yes here is the Dog Partridge in its prime.

Attachments

• ashted row dog and partridge.jpg
    ashted row dog and partridge.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 84
Thanks Mike. Looks like demolition had started around the pub in your photo. Glad the building's still there, and with many of its features intact. Viv.

This pub would have been a few hundred yards further down Ashted Row from the Dog & Partridge it was on the corner of Henry Street. It says it was taken in 1960 which it very well might be the pub wasn't demolished until about 1963, though it just looks a little earlier than that to me. This was among quite a few images of pubs passed on to me by Lyn (Astoness).

Attachments

• Nechells Ashted Tavern Ashted Row - Henry St 1960.JPG
    Nechells Ashted Tavern Ashted Row - Henry St 1960.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 71
Hi mike
I was wondering whether or not have you got the record of the retailer of the old originional
Crown and cushion at perry Barr for the period of 1947/48 whom was the manager listed
Many thanks Alan... Astonian..........

Alan
The Old Crown & Cushion is shown on the electoral roll for 1947 as being occupied by Leonard & Beatrice Long

Hi mike
Many thanks for that information and for your valuable time and the reason I asked is because I have an old cousin
Whom as had connections with that pub way back around that period so it helped with my research
In one form an another may I had he died many many years ago once again mike many thanks
I hope you have a nice week end best wishes Alan ,,,, Astonian,,,,,,,,

Hi jumbo
Many thanks for your added input confirming 1948 which gives me another bit of info.
To tracing the history of my family tree. Best wishes Astonian.....Alan...

This is how the Beeches looks today all lower windows fitted with Sitex panels and the whole area fenced off and plenty of concrete blocks to deter vehicles entering the site.
On the bright side, word is that it is going to receive a massive refurbishment during the next three months and will open late March as a Hungry Horse venue, whether the Beeches name will remain is not clear.
moto_0283~0.jpg
Had my 18th party here, my parents weren't aware of its 80s reputation.

There is a photo of the Beeches Pub as it was a long time before your party in a forum post here and another photo in a forum post here as it was a very long time before your party ... :)

the beeches has now opened as a hungry horse pub...been in there twice with my daughter recently..very nice inside..food good and good prices...

lyn

In the 1871 census my great-great-great-grandfather; James Thomas Griffiths, was a 'Beerhouse Keeper' at the Coppersmith's Arms, Emily Street. Anyone know anything about this pub, or even have a (probably later) photograph of it.

The only mention in the newspaper archive of a Coppersmiths Arms is to one in Rea St. However directories show a James Griffiths, beer retailer (beerhouse) and brazier at 33 Emily St in the editions dated 1867-1878. Between the 1878 and 1879 Editions there was a renumbering of the atreet, and in 1879 he is still there at the beerhouse. But in 1880 and 1882 Charles and then Sarah Hickman have taken over the beerhouse, though James is still a brazier at no 65½ (presumably the buildings at the back). In 1883-84 James (assuming it is him and not his son) is an ironmonger at 65½ and also at 166 Moseley Road, though by 1888 he is only at 65½ Emily St and back to being a coppersmith and continues there till 1912. Of interest is that in the 1862 Corporation directory there is listed Griffiths & Pemberton, coppersmiths, in Emily St, though number is not given, and it looks like James was a coppersmith who set up his beerhouse on the same site as his business, his original business giving rise to the name of the beerhouse

The 1901 census , which shows James Attwood was already there by 1901 alos shows the pub is then called the Cross Keys.

After James left the beerhouse continued with the following landlords (Note these dates are publication dates of directories and probably refer to the year before):

1880 Charles Hickman

1882 Sarah Hickman

1883 Thomas Price

1884-1892 Samuel Burgess

1895-1897 Thomas Dowding

1899-1900 Mrs Emily Dowding

1903-1925 James Attwood

Not sure how long it lasted, but by 1932 it was a cardboard box manufacturers.

Map c 1889 below shows position of pub

Attachments

• Map c 1889 showing where coppersmith arms, Emily st was.jpg
    Map c 1889 showing where coppersmith arms, Emily st was.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 11
Thank you mikejee for all that excellent information, lots for me to look into there. James died in 1894, so the later James (also a coppersmith/brazier) is one of his sons. One of James's daughters married an Attwood so there is another link to look into.

I don't know if anybody has mentioned this already, but I had cause to drive through Hay Mills the other day and I noticed that The Plough & Harrow on the Coventry Rd had gone, It had been closed for a good few years, but because it had been standing empty for so long I thought that maybe they were going to find a use for it, but apparently not.

Attachments

• Hay Mills Plough and Harrow Hay Mills.jpg
    Hay Mills Plough and Harrow Hay Mills.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 56
Paul and phil
The plough as been boaded up for at least twenty years or so more
If not longer i would say so
I lived down there years ago just along the road from it about eight to ten doors from it
And prior to that i lived just around the corner on the other side of coventry road speedwell road
So i know its been donkeys years ,, Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

Back