• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

hi phil yes the large window is boarded...probably another punch up one night...lol...there was plenty of those down that neck o the woods...

lyn

What a lovely thread, have been browsing this one since this morning when I have had 5 minutes, I was really hoping there would be a photo of The British Oak, My Nan lived in the back to back houses houses next to it, I can remember they had a monkey there when I was very young.

I assume you are talking about the British Oak on Pershore Rd Stirchley at not the one on Gooch St North Edgbaston.

Phil

Attachments

• Stirchley Pershore Rd British Oak.jpg
    Stirchley Pershore Rd British Oak.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 42
I assume that the window of the "Royal Exchange" was possibly broken when some one passed through it!! unless Alama Street has changed since I went down there.
paul

hi paul..no pubs left down alma street now im afraid...ive got a list somewhere of all the pubs that was in the area must have a look at it and try and work out just how many are left standing...actually i think i posted the list on the pubs thread some time ago...

lyn

pp.jpeg
This is an unusual one, it is The Barrack's Inn Rednal.
No doubt one of the better equipped members will shed a bit of light on it.

Hello Lyn , I have to say what a great sadness, all those "abit, hard, but in my eyes beautiful old pubs like the old city have all but vanished now, and with our generation so will the memories and recollections of this period of the our city's history.lol
paul

Rose & Crown.jpg s.jpg
The first one is The Hare & Hounds on Lickey Road and the second one is The Old Rose & Crown near the golf course on Bilberry Hill, the second one is dated as 1960.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitcher

Your first pub is the Hare & Hounds on Lickey Rd and the other is the Old Rose & Crown by the golf course on Bilberry Hill.

Phil

Thanks Phil and Thanks Paul, a lot of my papers have a few words scribbled on them and it is not always correct. I am so busy doing everything that I do not always bother to check so I am glad members like you are on the ball. I will edit the post now.
Thanks again to you both.

Last edited by a moderator:
]Stitcher, please do you have a photo of The Highbury at all?
88D341C5-AA52-477F-E7A870AB74745112.jpg
There you are carolina.

Stitcher

The Old Rose & Crown is the only pub I have been in where the mild cost more than the bitter, I asked the gaffer why and he said it's because the mild is so good no one drinks the bitter. He would say that though wouldn't he, although not being a drinker of either I was unable to judge.

Phil

Being a true Brummie and bought up on M&B mild, never really took to Ansells, and when first down south in the army tried to buy mild only to be met with blank stares, and silence. Took to drinking brown ale and bitter mixed as an alternative but found eventually that Green King mild as a passable one.
paul

Thanks so much Phil, I would love one that included the back to back cottages where my Nan and Grandad lived. I have been looking everywhere for some coronation party photo's, I was The Queen of Hearts in fancy dress but I was less than 3 years old and can only just about remember dropping the tarts off my tray, would love some photo's.

Having already managed to solve one question I was tearing my hair out over, I'm hoping you can resolve another. The pub on the Chester Road near the Queslet island. Its a Toby Carvery / Travelodge now, but what was the name of it when it was a pub, maybe 15-20 years ago? Im thinking Horse & Jockey, but Im being told it wasnt. Any ideas?

Having already managed to solve one question I was tearing my hair out over, I'm hoping you can resolve another. The pub on the Chester Road near the Queslet island. Its a Toby Carvery / Travelodge now, but what was the name of it when it was a pub, maybe 15-20 years ago? Im thinking Horse & Jockey, but Im being told it wasnt. Any ideas?

Or was it the Parson and Clerk?

Used to be my Uncle's watering hole.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

used to be The Hollybush..jpg
This one has had several name changes in recent years but it was known as 'The Hollybush' on the Hagley Road west, Quinton when I worked on the door every Monday night in the sixties.

Ho,ho, now this opens a portal into the past have many happy memories here. the Holly Bush was one of the most in places for teens in the 60's
paul

Paul, at that time I worked for Mothers Club and my main venues were the Station Pub in Selly Oak, Thu. Fri. and Sat. And the Hollybush on Mondays, in the big room upstairs.

God forbid Stitcher I knew them both, "intimately you may say", thank you so much it enables a tired old brain remember such great times.
paul

Hi guys ;
went up the brisol rd the othe night and i passed the pear tree pub by the station
and as we knew it changed names years ago to the pear tree pub ;
and i noticed it as a slight chang again to yellow colour and its called the bristol pear ;
by the way i have to admitt i was totally shocked and surprized by the new rd lay out by the universitity
it nearl threw me in fact i will be going that way tonight again ; best wishes astonian;;

Back