• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Common Erdington

R

robrhiwbina

Hi Everyone
Does anyone know whether there was a fairground at the above I have a marriage cert for George Godfrey and Kathleen McAllister married in1946 Her father was Henry a showman I cant find trace of them anywhere

Hi I live in Rhiwbina but I was very impressed with Birmingham when I came to see Cirque du Soliel

Hi Everyone
Does anyone know whether there was a fairground at the above I have a marriage cert for George Godfrey and Kathleen McAllister married in1946 Her father was Henry a showman I cant find trace of them anywhere

There is a fair on perry common road most years

Does anyone know how I can get electorial register for 1946 I so want to find parents of Kathleen Mary McAllister I got her birth cert .
I know her mother was Florence Haines She was born Swadlincote 1922 at a fairgound but was married from199 Perry Common road thanks

Probably no good for your purposes, but the 1945 electoral roll gives Edna Colley, Rose Giles, Evelyn D.Jones and John T.Jones
mike

Hi. Spent a couple of days on this sight now looking for answers for the standing stones we can see at the rear of our house.
Broomhill Road. Perry Common. New end near College Road built 1998.
These gardens back on to an oval patch of ground that looks like a nature reserve with no access from any of the gardens but access can be gained by the children of Hastings Road school when they are studying nature.
It is rumored to be land owned by Oscott College which i can also see from the rear bedroom window and is roughly the same shape and size of the Spiney also owned by the College.
No one seems to know the significance of the standing stones. Only one can be seen in my pic as its summer and the trees are in full leaf. But its strange that this road and estate look to be built to contain. Hide or preserve this site.
After reading your threads i did wonder if it may of had anything to do with the Incurable Desease Hospital which burnt down in the 1960's only a few hundred metres away.
Were they errected in modern times? Say post 5000 BC? Or do we have a neolithic unknown site? Ill try and attach 2 pics. One of 1 stone visible due to the trees. And one of the rear of Oscott College. I have wondered about this for years. Maybe someone on here can help please? ..... sorry. File size too large. I can work on that.

Mystery solved.
After speaking to a resident earlier today on Broomhill Road re me opening a discussion on your site. She has confirmed the school on Hastings road erected the stones in the last 18 or so years as part of their Story Wood adventures to encourage the youngsters in nature.
I still find it fascinating how people can jump to conclusions ie how its related to the Spiney and Oscott College in such a short period of time. No wonder i could find nothing on the net and relied on peoples chineese whispers. Thanks anyway to all who read the post but its only on me posting this that resulted in getting to the bottom of something thats been at the back of my mind for 7 years.
Thank you forum.

Always worth checking these things out Mr B. You never know, there are times when it leads to an interesting piece of history. Enjoy the Forum. Viv.

Seeing mention of Broomhill Rd and Hastings Rd School reminded me of when I used to go to see my Gran who lived in the road. The school backed on to her garden and glimpses of it can be seen in two photos taken in the early 1930s and which I already have on the forum.

index.php

From thread Parents of our Parents

index.php

From Family Snaps
These images are forum links and can only be seen if logged in

Last edited:
Hi oldMohawk.
Thanks for the pics. Yes. I can see the school from the bedroom window beyond the the stones. The outline of the windows are distinctive but with the trees in full leaf at the moment is not possible to work out where the photographer actually stood. A task for the winter i think but would be great if i could re create that pic later in the year.
I understand the location of Broomhill road changed end of the 1990's with these new builds.
Somewhere in the loft i have an old birmingham A to Z that belonged to my parents. Havent layed eyes on it for years and dont know how old it is but on it i remember it has a dotted line on many a page that shows the proposed route of the M6. I'll dig that out and overlay the new position of Broomhill road.
If you go onto google maps and input B23 5AF my house is about 2 up from where the red balloon marker will be. The house with the curved wall on the front garden. You can then see my rearward view of Hastings Road school and just make out 3 of the standing stones between.
Youve got me on a mission now oldMohawk. When the leaves fall in winter. Ill find out where the photographer stood. Invite you over. You can stand in the spot your family stood and I'll take a snap. Even if its in one of the neighbours gardens. It would be great to re create.
Anyone got anymore old pics of Broomhill Road with buildings still standing as reference points?
Take care all. What a great forum.
Mr B.

Hi Mr B,
I'm amazed at the changes around there. Unfortunately I have no pics of the front of my Nan's house. Way back I once pedalled there from Great Barr in my toy pedal car ... I mentioned that with a photo somewhere on the forum ! I notice you earlier mentioned a 'fever hospital' have a look here at the link below to a film of it burning down ...

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/smallpox-hospital.25626/#post-278444

oldmohawk

Last edited:
Wow.
Ill have to play it on the laptop as my android phone wont work with flash player.
Ive just got to find out where the power button is on the laptop.
It seems funny that we now think of laptops as old technology and rely so heavily on our phones.
I'll dig that A to Z out later too. Having been born and raised in Coleshill i do know that Chelmsley Wood wasnt even build then so thats not even on this old A to Z.
Mr. B.

Hi, Mr B,
There are lots of posts and pics about Perry Common on the forum.
Some of us on the forum are old enough to have gone to the Mayfair Cinema which was right next to the Isolation Hospital opposite Weycroft Road.
See a pic of it it in the Birmingham Cinemas thread
oldmohawk

Well. What a morning I've had. Watched the video of the hospital burning down. I thought news readers only spoke like that during the war years. The building that replaced that was knocked down last year and the derelict ground is behind boarding. I know this as I've downloaded a street map dated 1938 and overlayed it on google maps.
When this part of Broomhill Road was rebuilt in 1998 they moved the road also, from running parallel with college road to more curved. The house at the very top of Broomhill road. Junct Weycrof. Although extended is one of the origional 1930's houses, so from that reference point can now say where im sitting in the lounge would of once been a rear garden backing on to the school. The 1938 map does show more school buildings there then than is now. (The cinema is clearly marked on it too)
What a morning I've had.
Thank you all for your imput.
Mr B.
(Need to do some housework now before Mrs B walks through the door.)

Back