• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My late father in law (1900-1986) who lived in Aston used to tell me about the Peaky Blinders when I first met him in the early 50's, I thought he was romancing at the time, realise now he wasn't , Eric

Last edited:
Yes, that was a good one! Also the Stechford Communist Party. It adds another layer of something to hear all these references to places that we know, and in my case had relatives. I was trying to think where the Stechford branch would have held meetings. I also had relatives in Watery Lane.

Later I think than the period covered by the episode, in October 1932...

Birmingham municipal elections Jessie appeals to Aston electors!

C10EC0DE-1140-4B7F-A987-EF7DB6D50D08.jpeg
Yes, that was a good one! Also the Stechford Communist Party. It adds another layer of something to hear all these references to places that we know, and in my case had relatives. I was trying to think where the Stechford branch would have held meetings. I also had relatives in Watery Lane.

My next door neighbor Andy McCulloch, Jessie Eden was his auntie, he said when he used to meet when he was a kid he was scared of her .

My next door neighbor Andy McCulloch, Jessie Eden was his auntie, he said when he used to meet when he was a kid he was scared

Nice piece of oral history, it should be interesting to see how she is portrayed in the rest of the series.

Just watched the latest episode but I think the story needs to come with instructions, HELP. It seems a bit disjointed. Have I missed something. How did Polly know the mafiosa boss? He seemed to base his performance on godfather Corleone. Where was the canal scene filmed?

RE canal scene. Either Liverpool or Manchester. Season 4 was filmed in both locations. I doubt it was a Birmingham canal. I noticed there were quite a few bales of hay along the quayside - most probably disguising modern-day features. Viv.

I guessed Manchester for the canal scene. I have been on the Manchester canals but not often enough to be absolutely certain.

When Jessie took her coat off in the pub (episode 4) I thought I saw a dress shield in her cardigan. If so, it was a tiny authentic detail, but did anyone else see it?

I wonder which pub they went to. I don't know if the Richmond was there in the 1920s!

RE #439 and canal scene, now wondering if it was the Black Country Living Museum ? Parts of series 4 were supposedly filmed there too.

Maria - not watched that episode yet, shall keep eyes peeled for it ! Viv.

Yes it's filmed at the BCLM! (My first and only visit was back in 2011).

You may recognise this bridge!

I think Charlie's Yard is filmed down here (on the left)

The Stechford Communist Party feature again with Jessie Eden shown addressing a meeting with the rallying cry of A.J. Cook the Miner’s leader...

“Not a penny off the pay, not a second on the day.”

Towards the end of prog 4 the Italians are seen in a an labelled J.D. Groves and Son Ltd.

Can't find any info for Birmingham, Manchester or Liverpool.

Just caught up. Mention of Navigation Street and Albion Street. Suggests they're in the same area. Comments ? !

Maria - shall have a re-run on the point you mentioned. Didn't spot it first time !

Viv.

Well, fiction rules for the sake of entertainment. I like " Artilliary Square" - a nod to Birmingham arms production. Viv.

Maria - you were spot on, here's the dress shield ! Well spotted. Viv.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    321.9 KB · Views: 25
ALL the canal scenes were filmed at the Black Country Living Museum as far as I could see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back