• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tommy was looking in a Birmingham factory with tanks (or armoured cars) at the beginning of series 3. Think that was BSA in Saltley (I think).
Austin Motor Company at Longbridge did add armour to the American Peerless truck to form an armoured car. These were in operation in areas where Britain had an interest between 1919 and 1940. Photo taken at the Bovington Tank Museum, Dorset plus a description. See also the link for a fuller history. Dave.
https://www.tankmuseum.org/year-news/bovnews38194
SV100048 (2).JPG SV100049 (2).JPG

O'Rourke's in Digbeth at Oxford Street / Coventry Street has gone, and made may (soon) for Garrison Hotel & Bar. By order of the Peaky Blinder Pub Dale End!

Just this street art so far.

I signed up for Netflix in the USA and now I can get Peaky Blinders on my tele. I am afraid that in good conscious I can NOT watch this show at all. The acting and scenery are fine BUT THE LANGUAGE is disgusting, I have posted about this before, I had NEVER in all the 23 years of living in Brum never ever heard the word F+++K But to each his own I guess, Just my
no nor me :joy::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
I don’t know what has previously been said, as I haven't yet had time to read through all the posts. However, I was appalled at how the series appeared to glamorise a bunch of thugs. As far as I could ascertain, only the beginning of the first series had anything to do with historical reality - apart from the bit where ‘thingy’ rides in on a white horse - which was almost an exact rip-off from an American film (sorry, I forget the name of the film).

I notice that Professor Carl Chin wonders as to the reality of the razor-blades under/within the peak - he opins that ‘safety’ razor blades were a new thing, and relatively expensive, and thus doubts their use. I don’t know about that, but it’s certainly a dangerous practise for the wearer, let some poor victim!

As my old Dad once told me, a more likely method, less dangerous to the wearer, and far more practicable (?) was the stitching of deep, ‘U’ shaped fencing-type staples within the brim. These were attached on a loose, ‘looped’ twine, that could be mostly retracted from view when necessary, but would be released/propelled forward, when the cap was swung in a violent arc. I’ve tried this out for myself (strictly for the purpose of historical accuracy!) with an old cap, destined for the bin. It works, and is not likely to lacerate the fingers of a forgetful wearer! At most, you’d suffer the odd prickle.

PS. I quite understand if the above paragraph is deleted by Postie, for fear of encouraging idiots to emulate, for nefarious purposes!

Hi have just noticed that the BBC are making a drama aboyt the Peaky Blinders set in Brum in the 1920s,not sure when its due for release but look out for it in the future
Hi have just noticed that the BBC are making a drama aboyt the Peaky Blinders set in Brum in the 1920s,not sure when its due for release but look out for it in the future
Yes, when I was a boy we lived in Pigott street, opposite our entry was Owen street, just past Cleve Terrace on the right was an entry which led to a yard where you could go into a house and place a bet. Just like the Peaky Blinders set up. We lived in Pigott street from 1950 till 1959 and the culture for most kids was to throw stones and bricks at each other. At the bottom of our road was a stretch of bombed buildings which stretched right down to the Bristiol cinema with an abundance of bricks. I remember playing there one early evening with my little brother and a kid picked a bottle up and threw it, the contents went in his eye, something in the bottle burnt his eye, never found out what it was. So even in the 50s it was a tough place to be brought up. Saying that we never locked our house door and the neighbors were great.

Last edited:
I don’t know what has previously been said, as I haven't yet had time to read through all the posts. However, I was appalled at how the series appeared to glamorise a bunch of thugs. As far as I could ascertain, only the beginning of the first series had anything to do with historical reality

The Peaky Blinders were a gang of thugs, that is the whole point of the series.
The whole series is fictitious with just a few historical events thrown in to make it seem real as the Peaky Blinders were not heard of after 1906 although they lived on in legend.

Trying to find out information about a Charles strong who was a haulier in 1924 lived 17 Vauxhall grove and also had premises in Viaduct street could this be the Charlie strong based on the character by Stephen Knight in peaky blinders my great grandmother his sister lived in Avondale road

My uncle who died at the age of 102 only two years ago told me about the peaky blinders before the series on TV, and about the razor blades in there caps. At the time I had never heard of them.
He was born in 1914 in Green Lane near the Blues ground, he said when he was young, about 10 years old I guess, his Mum and Dad, my grandparents told him not to go playing down the bottom of Kingston hill, down by Watery Lane as this was Peaky Blinder territory. This would be about 1924, so perhaps there is some truth in the time scale of the series.

The Peaky Blinders were a gang of thugs, that is the whole point of the series.
The whole series is fictitious with just a few historical events thrown in to make it seem real as the Peaky Blinders were not heard of after 1906 although they lived on in legend.

I totally agree that they were thugs; but the series creators most certainly attempted to glamorise, glorify and purport any number of other ‘attributes’ contrary to historical reality. I was most interested in what you had to say about the Peaky Blinders not existing after 1906 - I suppose that ‘legends’ often get borrowed by later generations; or skip a generation, to re-emerge later etc. The Birmingham Chamber of Commerce/Watch Committee, as well as the local police and, Special Branch, referred to them as ‘Peaky Blinders’ during the immediate post war period, and into to the 1920’s. I’d love to hear about their earlier incarnation, prior to 1906, as I know nothing about their earlier days. Cheers David.

Well he is back and I am still in love with him, even though I wish he wasn't so violent and his language wasn't so bad.
Was it just me or did the story move a bit too fast last night, a bit erratic.

Well he is back and I am still in love with him, even though I wish he wasn't so violent and his language wasn't so bad.
Was it just me or did the story move a bit too fast last night, a bit erratic.

I felt it had lost its way a bit, but perhaps it will improve as it goes on. It did seem fractured.

Its fiction with a little history thrown in so we cant be too judgemental on little scenes that we as Brummies dont recognise.

I don`t like Peaky Blinders. It seems to me that graphic violence & swearing are becoming the norm. How low will it eventually go? Even now when walking about you hear people swearing like it`s perfectly normal? Who knows, maybe it is normal,& old fuddy duddies like me are so out of touch with what goes on today.:(

I don`t like Peaky Blinders. It seems to me that graphic violence & swearing are becoming the norm. How low will it eventually go? Even now when walking about you hear people swearing like it`s perfectly normal? Who knows, maybe it is normal,& old fuddy duddies like me are so out of touch with what goes on today.:(
And I thought I was the only one that didn't like it......

(Not Peaky Blinders, and not the 29th October 1929, but reported 28th January 1929 in the Aberdeen Press)

"Dramatic in the extreme was the strange scene enacted in the dead of night, amid the frost bound silence of the Lickey Hills"

A42B6FCF-EBF1-463F-9007-33EF9103B685.jpeg60B9F9C6-5C54-4AE8-91EE-7A28FA5A9A72.jpeg

It's a pleasure to read old time reports like that, written in good, if poetic, English, different to the slapdash way news stories are written today.
To the point, no too wordy and no repetition.

Must admit I was not aware of the tunnel. In earlier maps it was called Grovelly tunnel but shown as cofton in c1904

map c1904 showing cofton tunnel.jpg

Strange,my grandparents both came from the Digbeth area (they were born in the late 1800s)but they never ever mentioned these so called gangs.And he was a Bargeman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back