• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paradise development 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birmingham Paradise Street.

Remember they were knocking these buildings down! The ex Conservatoire, Fletchers Walk and Chamberlain House.

December 2017

January 2018

I still think it should have been left as a public open space but I'm impressed with the colours of the windows on this new build.
IMG_3660.png IMG_3661.png IMG_3663.png

Have just read a report that the Paradise developemnt will require a further £100m to complete because of rising costs. £50m extra is needed for Phase 2 (completion 2023) which is two office blocks and a hotel and an extra £50 for phase 3 (completion 2026) around Congreve Square.

thanks for that update david ...does anybody know if all this extra cash is coming from our council or private investment?? either way i would like to bet that before the completion dates are reached the price will go up again

lyn

Vanity development, which started in the 1950s and has continued in a similar vein ever since. 70 years a building site and no sign of an end to it. Or am I getting cynical in my old age? :)

Maurice

You can bet your bottom dollar the costs will rise again, at least once, before the 2026 date! I hope the place is less of a building site in 2022. If it isn't then Birmingham might well loose some 'Brownie points' as a result.

Its not as if any of the buildings were particularly interesting or improved the landscape, and certainly they are not built to last very long. I suppose they do look a bit better than the 1970s library, but then virtually anything, including a wartime prefab, would,

thanks for that update david ...does anybody know if all this extra cash is coming from our council or private investment?? either way i would like to bet that before the completion dates are reached the price will go up again

lyn

Birmingham City Council have asked Greater Birmingham and Solihul Local Enterprise Partnership to put up the money so the answer is from public funds

New views of 1 and 2 Chamberlain Square, as the paving around the Hall of Memory is now open to the public!

A look at the Chamberlain Memorial.

From the Birmingham History Galleries you can see the empty water pools.

With Two Chamberlain Square from the BM & AG steps.

Over to the Discovery Terrace at the Library of Birmingham with One and Two Chamberlain Square. The route from Chamberlain Square to Centenary Square is via Centenary Way.

You have to walk around the Hall of Memory.

Close up of One Chamberlain Square.

Two Chamberlain Square

Fire engines were there yesterday for a training exercise. Seen from Paradise Circus Queensway. Only buses have access towards Cambridge Street.

Eric, the people in charge of the redevelopment of our great City could not care less for Heritage, History and Pride. They will do what they want regardless of public opinion or common sense not to say the public purse that will bankroll these " pie in the sky " schemes. How much has just been spent on the "restorations" of the tunnels around Town only for them to be obliterated in this new "redevelopment"
jimbo
great. well said. jimbo

nor me charlie...my only concern is the preservation of the fine buildings that we still have left...the ones thats are being slung up now will never become historial buildings and will not be the admiration of people in 150 years time...be very lucky if they are still around in 50 years.

lyn
i have been looking at the 10 most abandoned places in birmingham what a waste. soon there will be no historical places only hysterical places

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back