• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paradise development 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
guilbert53, No I am not blaming the council, they could not know Carillion would fail. It is Carillion itself who have caused the problem country wide. There have been similar problems in recent years of companies going under, putting people out of work etc... look at the financial collapse a few years ago which we are still coping with. Money and greed are a lot to do with it in my humble opinion. Eric

eric its just a pity that whoever hired carillion (i thought it was birmingham city council) did not do what many of us do if we buy a new car or a new house....give it a good once over to make sure it will do what it says on the tin if they had done their homework all this chaos may have been avoided...and of course it is a fiasco because trusting this construction company to carry out the work has FAILED..how else can anyone describe it...

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn, always in these situations the top brass, who surely are responsible, seem to come out of it smelling of roses with no personal financial loss, its their employees and sub contractors who feel the brunt. I had better shut up, going of thread some what. Eric

i too will shut up now eric except to say thanks to ell for his photos that keep us up to date with the state of our city centre...i wont touch it with a barge pole now unless i have to....

lyn

Chopped in half - Chamberlain House (what's left of it) seen from Paradise Street this afternoon.

It was first built in 1985 - 87 by Leonard J. Multon & Partners according to Pevsner. Called it and The Copthorne Hotel as "cheap looking".

I always admire Ell's photographs, even when I dislike the buildings he is photographing, well, most of 'em anyway. Eric

Overnight they completely demolished Chamberlain House!

View from Suffolk Street Queensway.

Broad Street

Centenary Way

Chamberlain Square

Paradise Street

Where do the dump all that rubble - and what is recycled?

The Broad Street thread has details about previous buildings and company's. particularly the glass works.

Last edited:
I'm not too impressed with the new building partially built as shown in the 3rd pic in post#190. Maybe it looks better from another view.
linked pic from post#190
27966581569_84c6bfd57b_b.jpg

I don't remember anyone complaining when they stuck that glasshouse on top of Baskerville House. Post 212.

I never noticed the glass house on top of Baskerville House until I saw it on Google Earth ....:D

I prefer it without the glass house- just my opinion, but I believe it is in private hands now, so cant blame the council, I like the way it as been cleaned. Eric

It's been like this for over a decade!
I haven't been near the building for over a decade ....
The only time I went in there was as a 5 year old and waited in a long queue to get a ration book and the building was known at the time as the 'Food Office' ....:)

I knew that this building was coming down, so sweated blood to get intoCC59-Entrance-to-Georgian-House-Easy-Row-1.jpg the position to take a last photo of it before it was gone.

Top of Baskerville House is like this.

Although the last time I saw it from the library, the top floors looked empty.

I think the West Midlands Mayor has his office in the building somewhere.

Im going into Birmingham in April and staying over for one night, That hotel is still available for £85 (Breakfast extra). I think i will give it a miss.

Metal recycling of the Chamberlain House rubble.

Last bit of Fletchers Walk still not touched.

Looking a bit more clear.

Only a small section left to demolish of the ex Fletchers Walk / Conservatoire.

This was yesterday.

Today from Centenary Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back