• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paradise development 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update from yesterday afternoon on Saturday.

From the Library of Birmingham Discovery Terrace:

Glimpse from Summer Row

From the steps of BM & AG in Chamberlain Square. Notice the steps.

i know i am always knocking these new designs that are going up but as far as i can see the building going up now will not be any more pleasing on the eye than what was there before just looks like yet another block of concrete with no shape to it...will reserve total judgement until completed..never know i may be suprised and end up eating my words:D

lyn

Chamberlain Square completely blocked off. Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery is open. Follow the pedestrian diversion via Eden Place and Edmund Street.

hi ell your pic 3..is that the remains of the old library on the right or is it new build..poor old chamberlain square will never be the same now...what a mish mash it now looks

lyn

It's the remains of a building that was in front of the library near Centenary Way.

It was a restaurant called Woktastic.

Although I don't think they had a new venue in 2015.

1 Chamberlain Square seen from the no 127 bus.

The Town Hall hidden from view again!

The Town Hall was still visible back in April 2017

Another look at 1 Chamberlain Square, this time from the steps of Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery.

You can see that the old steps of Chamberlain Square are having the paving stones lifted or replaced.

This was the same view a month and a half ago.

And what is 1 Chamberlain Square going to be? Yet more offices that are dead by 6:00pm? If so, it is just another copy of Manchester.

Maurice

And what is 1 Chamberlain Square going to be?

https://www.paradisebirmingham.co.uk/one-chamberlain-square/

One Chamberlain Square, designed by Eric Parry Architects, is an elegant, curvaceous eight storey building at the very heart of the development, fronting both Chamberlain Square and the proposed Northern Square.

The 172,000 sq ft building effectively uses a variety of materials to complement the existing listed architecture whilst presenting a contemporary finish.

A large roof terrace on the sixth floor offers spectacular views across the city, while a series of restaurants and retail units sit at ground level.

Benefitting from the latest facilities and amenities, the open and efficient floorplates vary from 16,000 sq ft to over 23,500 sq ft and offer a range of layout options.

PwC will be relocating its 1,400 strong Birmingham team to 90,000 sq ft on the top four and a half floors in early 2019.

There will be shops at ground level.

If Reading is any guide (and this is before the idiocies of Brexit) many of the offices will be empty.

1 Chamberlain Square seen in the rain.

From the Victoria Square side still blocking access to Chamberlain Square and the Museum & Art Gallery from this side (you have to enter the museum via Eden Place and Edmund Street).

The road that used to be part of Paradise Circus Queensway, before I headed into Fletchers Walk.

Views from the Secret Garden at the Library of Birmingham. BM & AG being exposed (after the library demolition last year) wasn't to last.

One Chamberlain Square

Two Chamberlain Square near the Chamberlain Memorial hasn't really gone higher than the basement level at the moment.

Birmingham, like many other councils, is short of money. Maybe a lottery/sweepstake could be organised to raise funds based on the date that No. 1 Chamberlain Square will be demolished! Yes I know it not imminent but based on the city's frequent re-development the result should be known and announced within the next twenty years. :D

Traffic was chaos today as there is a diversion off Broad Street down Bridge Street towards Holliday Street. 126 bus can't turn right anymore and doesn't go to the Market area. Several of us didn't know!!
rosie.

thanks for the heads up rosie...not everyone would know that...no wonder i avoid the city centre unless i really have to go there

lyn

On the NXWM site

https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/i...change-in-birmingham-from-sunday-15th-october

Due to the closure of the right turn from Broad Street to Suffolk Street Queensway to enable tram extension works, the 126 will be unable to serve the markets area of the city. From Sunday 15th October, buses will divert to terminate at Colmore Row.

Towards Birmingham, buses will change to operate along Broad Street, Bridge Street, Holliday Street, Suffolk Street Queensway, Paradise Circus Queensway, Great Charles Street Queensway, Snow Hill Queensway, Colmore Circus Queensway and Colmore Row. Buses will terminate at the first stop on Colmore Row (stop SH1).

From Birmingham, buses will operate from Colmore Row (stop SH1) via Newhall Street, Edmund Street, Margaret Street, Great Charles Street Queensway, Paradise Circus Queensway, Broad Street and then as now to Wolverhampton.

Existing stops in Birmingham city centre between Broad Street and Upper Dean Street for the markets will no longer be served.

Customer wishing to travel to the markets area of Birmingham may connect on Broad Street to services 22, 23, 24 or 29 to Smallbrook Queensway (at the end of the Bull Ring tunnel, outside the entrance to New Street Station) and use the spiral staircase to access Edgbaston Street. Customers can alternatively change to service 16 at Snow Hill Queensway to access the markets area directly.

We are very sorry for the disruption this change will cause to our customers. We know that the markets are of Birmingham is a popular destination for many and we have considered a number of options to allow access to the markets to be maintained.

The closure of the right turn at the end of Broad Street has been enforced and buses will be unable to access the Holloway Head area and markets from Broad Street as a result.

We considered diverting buses along Bath Row to allow them to reach Holloway Head but current roadworks along Holloway Head are causing significant delays to traffic travelling that way and would cause unacceptable disruption to the 126.

Thanks Rosie. I had told my sister to catch the 126 in Smallbrooke Queensway on Friday night when she gets off the train as I will be unable to meet her that evening. I have had to tell her that she will have to walk up to Colmore Row

From the steps of the Museum & Art Gallery. This entrance is still open, but you have to walk around Eden Place and Edmund Street to get to it. Or use the Edmund Street entrance near the Gas Hall. Saw barriers on Edmund Street (contractors car park in the middle I think).

The new (old) walkway will be open by Mid? November, this will mean that the Fletcher's Walk will close so that work can start on the former School of noise (Music) can be demolished they are in the building at the moment gutting it ready for it to be demolished

Thanks Ell and Horsencart for the update. In my opinion, the demolition of Fletchers Walk won't be a loss. Viv.

I hate to think what "Paradise Birmingham" will lolok like when you can walk through it in november

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back