• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paradise development 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds lovely "leading through the heart of Paradise Birmingham " ! We live in hope. Viv.

The new road layout of Paradise Circus seen at the weekend.

New crossing replacing a subway!

Looking back at the museum on Great Charles Street Queensway

View from Cambridge Street near Paradise Circus.

You would need to be a fast reader to read that road directions sign, especially if you were a visitor to the area.

I used to thoroughly dislike walking through there to work and especially going home again in winter. This was in the early 1980s. The shop units remained unfinished for years and I don't remember any being taken on. There was all sorts of rubbish blown in there and it was a place you just rushed through to get where you wanted to. Viv.

You may need a pair of hiking boots or your own Sherpa if you ever decide to use the new walkway

For those who are not aware horsencart is referring to the walkway across the Paradise site replacing the old walkway that went under the old library (past McDonlands and Wetherspoons) between the BMAG and Centenary Square.

This new walkway is due to open on 10th or 11th November when the current route through Fletchers Walk closes on the 11th November.

However seeing as how the new walkway starts (outside BMAG) and ends (in Centenary Square) in the same places (and on the same levels) as the old one did I cant see how it can be any more steep than the previous walkway.

Remember there was quite a climb up the slope or steps on the old walkway before you got to the level where the old library was.

Didn't seem like much of a slope. It all seemed a bit flat!

Centenary Way opened today!

Some highlights from this morning (11/11/2017)

Hello Ellbrown,
Thanks for all your recent photographs of the Paradise development. Can I just check, as an out-of-towner, that if I wanted to walk from New Street Station to the Hall of Memory and Broad Street, that when I reached the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery I could turn onto the new Centenary Way to reach my destination? Last time I was in Birmingham, several months ago, I used Fletchers Walk, but that of course has now gone. Is there another route by going down Navigation Street and turning right (what was Suffolk Street); but it might not be suitable for pedestrians? Thanks for your help. Dave.

The Hall of memory is currently closed at the moment and surrounded by a huge high fence (so you cant get near it) because much of Centenary Square is a building site as it is being redeveloped.

The best way to get to Centenary Square / Broad Street is to use this new pathway (it replaces the previous route that went under the library)

So from New St station you walk up to Victoria Square, then go past the entrance to the BMAG, then bear to the left following the new path and it takes you straight to Centenary Square. You then carry on walking to get to Broad St.

Note going along Navigation St is NOT the best way to get to Broad St as they are doing a lot of work over the other side of the A38 (for the Arena Central Development) so many of the paths over that way (by Alpha Tower etc) are now blocked off.

There are a number of maps showing various routes on this web site here

https://www.paradisebirmingham.co.uk/access/

There is a HUGE amount of work going on in that area (the Paradise development, the Arena Central development, the Centenary Square redevelopment, and the new tram route, so finding your way around up there is a nightmare.

Hello Ellbrown,
Thanks for all your recent photographs of the Paradise development. Can I just check, as an out-of-towner, that if I wanted to walk from New Street Station to the Hall of Memory and Broad Street, that when I reached the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery I could turn onto the new Centenary Way to reach my destination? Last time I was in Birmingham, several months ago, I used Fletchers Walk, but that of course has now gone. Is there another route by going down Navigation Street and turning right (what was Suffolk Street); but it might not be suitable for pedestrians? Thanks for your help. Dave.

As Guilbert said above the Hall of Memory is blocked off. I've not yet seen any cyclists use the new Centenary Way but assume that they could.

Alternatively to Centenary Way, you can walk up Holliday Street (from Suffolk Street Queensway), then turn onto Bridge Street (towards Broad Street).
Or you can get onto the canal towpaths at Gas Street Basin, then walk towards Brindleyplace (head through the Broad Street Tunnel - remember to duck if you are tall - low ceiling).

Head over the footbridge towards the ICC, or exit Brindleyplace towards Broad Street (near The Brasshouse pub).

Hello Ellbrown,
Although you will get very little help at New Street station, quickest way to Broad Street is get to Debenhams on Smallbrook Ringway walk down to the bus stop on the bridge and catch a 22 or 23, use your bus pass, when you come back take the 29 and enjoy a city centre tour. See my post on day trip
Bob

Some views from above at the Library of Birmingham from yesterday (Friday).

One Chamberlain Square

Two Chamberlain Square

Centenary Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back