• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Oscott Colleges (old Oscott And New Oscott)

Thanks Topsy. This must be referring to New Oscott College. Looking at Google, there's a College Farm Drive nearby, so assume College Farm was somewhere there, close to the college and trees. You can see the burial grounds at the bottom of the photo.

The burial ground on Lyn's map showing Old Oscott still remains a mystery then.

David, how interesting. Can people visit New Oscott or is it closed to the general public? Viv.

View attachment 74299

Viv no closed to the public, Viv in your pic the graves are also 11 o`clock,, marked with all the paths Dave, will look if I have a general pic of the Grave area.

I would imagine it is open to the public, here is the entrance, it is off Court Lane.

Terry

Attachments

• hawthorn brook way (Medium).jpg
    hawthorn brook way (Medium).jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 16
I would imagine it is open to the public, here is the entrance, it is off Court Lane.

Terry

Yes that part open to the public, but not the main building, a few pics near the entrance, a good view point of Brum also on the grounds

Attachments

• 1st April 2008 1.jpg
    1st April 2008 1.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 20
  • 1st April 2008 2.jpg
    1st April 2008 2.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Oscott College Cemetery.jpg
    Oscott College Cemetery.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for the photos Terry and David. When the New College was built it was on top of a hill, surrounded by trees, like an island. So yes David, it must have (or at least once had) a very good view. I don't think there was much else around it, pretty well open, heathland. The members of Old Oscott settled into the New College in 1838, the college being consecrated by a 7 hour ceremony! The Old Oscott College at this point became a prep school, retaining its close links with the New College. The move to the New College was because they'd outgrown Old Oscott, but not too long after the transfer they received a lot of donated artifacts, which they found quickly filled up the additional space created by the move. Viv.

The Pics of New Oscott College on Chester Road are very good. They recently had an open day as part of the PUgin anniversary year, and I was fortunate to get in!
It is now one of only 3 catholic training Colleges for Priests in England & wales - the other 2 are in the South. Although a capacity for about 70 trainees, aonly about 53 at present. Staff is about 30. Course is 6 years long!
The Catholic Cemetey is open during normal cemetey hours, and is accessed off Court lane, via a cul de sac with new housing.
I only became aware of the cemetery some years ago when my cousin was buried there. I now of others who have their plots reserved - Purely R.C.
It is nicely kept and has a fantastic view of Birmingham, but is fenced off from the Training college usually.
The Old Oscott cemetery at the oldOrphanage sounds intriguing - I've heard of Maryvale but never visited - Time for a ride out!
Brian

Have you all seen the picture posted on the Various street pictures thread #137. New Oscott College on the horizon.

I did wonder Rob but couldn't work it out! The times I've been to Perry Common library and never even noticed it. Thanks for that. Viv.

ive only just twigged that it must be st marys college oscot that i can just see from from bedroom window..will have a better look in the morning...

Can you see it Lyn?!!

I've had a bit of a Streetview stroll this morning around Old Oscott and I think the Old Oscott/St. Mary's/mission/prep school/orphanage building is still there. Or at least some part of it. I found these. Just look at that school bell! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330345884.314388.jpg School bell on wall

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330345906.150198.jpg Old Oscott Hill

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330345928.600219.jpg Behind the houses on Templeton Road

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330345983.881987.jpg Old gate through wall

560791fc-75e4-d042.jpg
3 storey college building 1794 - 1838. I think Old Oscott Hill is to the right. Don't know what the building is near the top of the hill.

hi viv..ive zoomed in on me camera as much as i can on this one...you will have to save this to your files and zoom in again but if look to the right of the black central heating chimney im sure thats the college...

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pics of New Oscott College on Chester Road are very good. They recently had an open day as part of the PUgin anniversary year, and I was fortunate to get in!
It is now one of only 3 catholic training Colleges for Priests in England & wales - the other 2 are in the South. Although a capacity for about 70 trainees, aonly about 53 at present. Staff is about 30. Course is 6 years long!
The Catholic Cemetey is open during normal cemetey hours, and is accessed off Court lane, via a cul de sac with new housing.
I only became aware of the cemetery some years ago when my cousin was buried there. I now of others who have their plots reserved - Purely R.C.
It is nicely kept and has a fantastic view of Birmingham, but is fenced off from the Training college usually.
The Old Oscott cemetery at the oldOrphanage sounds intriguing - I've heard of Maryvale but never visited - Time for a ride out!
Brian

Hi Brian. The history is interesting, especially as it's not as accessible as other places. I agree Maryvale/Old Oscott does look very intriging too:

The site of Maryvale has been in Catholic occupation since the Middle Ages. Formerly 'Oscott House', it came to the Church in 1702 at the bequest of Father Andrew Bromwich who had inherited this property from his family. From 1794 to 1838 it was the home of Oscott College, the first Seminary to open in England after the reformation. During this time the historic Chapel of the Sacred Heart was inaugurated. I think this is the interior of the chapel. Newman (later Cardinal) was supposed to have lived here, his rooms being next to the Chapel with a window which opened to look down on the interior. Wonder if that's the window to the left? Viv.

560791fc-7bb2-dd0f.jpg

hi viv..ive zoomed in on me camera as much as i can on this one...you will have to save this to your files and zoom in again but if look to the right of the black central heating chimney im sure thats the college...

college004.jpg

Amazing Lyn. I can see it. Isn't it shocking that both of us know the area pretty well and it's only now we're really finding out about it! And you were right, it's kept me out of trouble alright for the last few days. Found it very interesting. Be good if we can sort out that Old Oscott burial ground too. Thanks Lyn. Viv.

i thought it was the college viv..well ive only been in kinstanding for 12 years but there is a lot of history to it thats for sure..must admit i am find the buriel ground a tad confusing at the min..would love to sort it out though...

Hi Lyn. I've a developed a bit of a theory over the weekend, but don't quote me! I think the burial ground might be to the right of this pic a little further up the lane. Streetview doesn't reach that far as it's closed off to traffic. It looks like pedestrians have access.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330351859.379519.jpg House to left

560791fc-9081-7455.jpg

House to left and through the barrier I think is the burial ground to the right.

I'm re-posting your map because it explains a bit about my theory!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330351900.028032.jpg

If you look below 'Burial Ground" on your map you'll see the letters " L. B" Now that's, I think, where my Streetview photo was taken. It's off Old Oscott Hill, I think it's also called Old Oscott Hill. Following that lane up past the house on the left would, I think, bring you to where the burial ground is/was. See what you think, but like I say, just a theory. Viv.

Aerial view. I think the burial ground is where the puple marker is, behind Maryvale Institute.
560791fc-90d7-b958.jpg

hi viv...i am inclined to agree with you as it does not look like the ground has been built on...i see a gateway for pedestrians so i think i may try and take a look tomorrow...shall i go armed with me metal detector lol..

That would be great Lyn if you get time. You might want to take ropes and crampons too, it's hilly round there! Now any treasure is shared, right?! Viv.

lol viv....that walkway looks scary to me just right for a buriel ground..wouldnt it be great if there was some sort of plaque to say that it was just that....doubt if we will that lucky though...hopefully i will get there tomorrow armed with camera and me spy tactics...lol

school lane on my map viv is obviously what is now oscott school lane...very confusing around there as we have old oscott hill..oscott school lane and old oscott lane...the mind boggles lol

anyhow i would like to get there tomorrow but if not it will be this week for sure..

If I can refer back to my previous posts regarding the missing burial ground, I think its possible, from the position of the ground on the map, that the college could well have been built upon it. if so then would'nt they have erected a memorial to record it. which brings me back to my previous thoughts, to the left of the college, by the clump of trees is a light coloured square. If you zoom into this with google maps you can see the shadow of a cross on the structure in the centre. This is only accessible from within the college grounds itself. A better view is obtained using Bing Maps Birdseye view.

Keep looking
Goffy

hi geoffy when i go to take a look i think i will try and make some enquires...

lyn

Lyn, If you go down Old Oscott Hill the turning is to the right. It's between Maryvale Institute and Maryvale Primary School - don't go as far as Oscott School Lane. The turning to the house and burial ground is also caled Old Oscott Hill on Google. Even more confusingly there's a turning by Our Lady of the Assumption Church near Cardinal Wiseman College, also called Old Oscott Hill. So just make sure you take the turning further down the hill by the primary school and Institute. No wonder nobody knows about it!

See what you mean now Goffy, I can see the memorial is almost next to Cardinal Wiseman College on Google, off to the left behind the church. I feel it's more than likely a burial ground connected to the Old College/school/orphanage or hospital marked on Lyn's map.Viv

yes viv i know where it is now...i wonder what this memorial is then next to card wiseman...i think that needs investingating as well...i always thought that buriel ground could not be built upon but i guess it has happened in some cases...dont worry we shall sort it it...everyone else can be the brains and i will do the leg work just point me in a direction lol..

Last edited:
Hard to tell Lyn, but you might be able to get to the memorial from alongside the church by Cardinal Wiseman's. Might be worth a try. Viv

There is an entrance to that, what we think might be a memorial, but its from cardinal wiseman college grounds, and that is behind a gated entrance, but there may be another way in to the opposite corner from the wooded area can't quite tell from the ariel views
best of luck

goffy

Morning Lyn. I can manage to get lost with a Satnav!

On the opposite side of the road to Old Oscott College but a little further down Old Oscott Hill was a farm called Manor Farm. It was a whopper! Here's a photo. In the drawing of Old Oscott College (St Mary's College 1794 - 1838) you can see some clergymen walking through a gate. This could possibly be land belonging to Manor Farm. The farm was a 3 storey building and has a few church- like features. There was certainly some money to be made around this area from farming. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330417236.290744.jpg

Popped over to Maryvale, Old Oscott this morning after speaking to a chap whilst at the Pen Museum.
He had been there often - they train members of the laity for their mission in the church, and hold many, many seminars and lectures, etc to which he had been to many. They do a lot of educational work with teachers and advisers for R.C. Schools
It was the home of John Henry Newman for a few years after becoming a Cathiolic in 1845, who named it Maryvale. It is now home to an Order of Nuns (originating in Sweden), and they have quite a bookshop - mainly Theology - and a guidebook!
There is no burial ground - SORRY - although ina vault beneath the Sacristy and Oratory of St mary's Chapel (added in 1819) are the remains of the Rev. Thomas Potss, President of the College, who died 5/12/1819.
Outside is a plaque commemorating the scattering of ashes of John Joseph Elliot - see pic.
Any Nuns that passed away were buried in the Cemetery at New Oscott.

The entrance is alongside the infant school - Visitors are allowed - uncertain about tours. Photography outside was not an issue.

Maryvale_entrance~0.JPG Maryvale_memorial.JPG s_Mary.JPGMaryvale_-_Old_Oscott.JPG Maryvale_2.JPG The place has been a home, Mission Centre, College, Religious House, Orphanage, Catechetical Centre for over 3 centuries!

hi bri thanks for all that info and the pics....this is most interesting..

lyn

That's great Brian. The pictures are excellent, we now have an up to date view of the building to compare. It looks like this is still the 1700s building then.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330451849.047157.jpg Brian's photo of Maryvale (St Mary's or Oscott) College

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330451925.227642.jpg Drawing mid 1800s when it was known as St. Mary's College

Note: New Oscott College also took the name of St. Mary's College.

Viv

Back