• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Oscott Colleges (old Oscott And New Oscott)

My great aunt told me the story of the windmill and she lived at the farm from c 1910 and the mill was not in existence then because the grindstones that used to grind the cirn were used as flower pots

I can now see Oldford Farm in the middle of the map surveyed in 1887. There was another mill at Perry Barr, and Upper Witton Mill on Hawthorn Brook, so maybe there could be others at an earlier date.

Holdford mill at that time had become Ludlow’s ammunition works.

2854A037-279A-40F9-A185-4CA3F6BBA41C.jpeg

The new Gatling Gun Co. purchased Holdford Mills at Witton from the liquidators of the National Arms and Ammunition Co in 1889.
C0D04CA8-FB39-45B8-9115-AB102CA687AD.jpeg
The massive explosion of 1870 occurred at Messrs Ludlow, neighbours to the factory of G. Kynoch and Co (Lion Works, Witton), possibly a licensor to Ludlow. Later in December 1870 there was a fatal explosion at Messrs Kynoch.

Last edited:
April 1917, Birmingham Daily Post.

In 1917 some portion taken from Oldford Farm for Ammunition Works (Post 101) Probably for the war effort?

9060D571-AB0A-4F19-BAFD-D7731C6E2763.jpeg

Back