• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

There was a solicitor called John Wilkes Unett who had lived in Birmingham and Smethwick. He owned lots of land in Smethwick so I presume the streets were named after him.

St Phillips Cathedral Colmore Row, The Unett Memorial.

City St Philips Unett Memorial.jpg

The memorial inscription reads,

ALMA

INKERMANN

SEBASTOPOL

THOMAS UNETT, C. B.
LIEUTENANT COLONEL OF THE 19TH FOOT
BORN IN BIRMINGHAM
ON THE 12TH OF NOVEMBER 1800
WAS MORTALLY WOUNDED
AT THE SIEGE OF SEBASTOPOL
WHILE LEADNG THE BRITISH COLUMN
TO THE FINAL ASSAULT ON THE REDAN
ON THE 8TH OF SEPTEMBER 1855.
HIS FRIENDS AND FELLOW TOWNSMEN
DEDICATE THIS OBELISK
TO HIS MEMORY
AS A RECORD OF THE NOBLE EXAMPLE
OF ONE WHO CHOSE THE FOREMOST PLACE
IN THE PATH OF DUTY
AND MET DEATH
WITH THE CALM UNDAUNTED SPIRIT
OF A CHRISTIAN SOLDIER

Reproduced from The Victorian Wars Forum.

Last edited:
Hi can anyone remember a cafe on new town row Aston in 1964-69 or on st Stephens street from 1969-1972? Any information will help please

cracking photo carolina...bhatti i cant be certain but it could be the one in vyse st

lyn

Hockley Station was the other side of Icknield Street from the present Jewellery Quarter Station. I can remember wondering into the site through an open gate in Pitsford Street in about 1990 and although the buildings had gone the platforms were still there and the there were unguarded holes in the platforms with the steps down into the subway. I don't know the date of this photo but I remember the station as a four platform station which is not obvious from this photo.

Here is the scene in the two directions after demolition of the station buildings. I took these in the 1970s

Attachments

• 0A.jpg
    0A.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 3A.jpg
    3A.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 99
David. I only ever visited the station after services were ended, but the c 1955 and 1918 map show only two passenger platforms. There were others under the goods shed canopy (on the bottom left hand corner of the map), but these were purely for goods and a bit apart from the passenger station

Attachments

• map c1918  showing hockley station.jpg
    map c1918 showing hockley station.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 45
  • map c 1955 showing hockley station.jpg
    map c 1955 showing hockley station.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 45
Each physical 'platform' has two sides for trains, hence four platforms (i.e. numbered 1. 2. 3 and 4, serving tracks coloured red below.

Attachments

• Hockley.jpg
    Hockley.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 39
The maps show only three through platforms as the most northerly does not show the tracks continuing to Snow Hill. How I remember the station is that at weekends I used to spend hours on both New Street and Snow Hill although I was never a train spotter in the way of noting loco numbers. On Sunday afternoons having travelled into Birmingham by Corporation bus, I would spend time on Snow Hill Station and then catch a 4.00pm train to West Smethwick Junction and get a Midland Red bus home. At 4.00pm on Sundays there was a double departure with a steam loco hauled train to Malvern from platform 5/6 and a DMU to Stourbridge from platform 4. These two trains would run side by side to Hockley where the DMU would stop but the steam train would continue to its first stop at West Smethwick switching from the main line to the Stourbridge line at what is now The Hawthorns station. I would travel on either train as the whim took me on the day. When I described this journey to the boys at school they did not understand why I would ever travel on the DMU in preference to the steam. I explained that from the DMU I could watch the steam train.

This answers Bhatti's question above.
Note to the moderators. Do you think these posts should be copied to a suitable Railways thread?

[
There was a solicitor called John Wilkes Unett who had lived in Birmingham and Smethwick. He owned lots of land in Smethwick so I presume the streets were named after him.

QUOTE="Astoness, post: 430263, member: 2686"]dennis howell tries out his loud hailer at the back of his coventry road committee rooms dated 1961

and 2 pics of church lane aston dated 1969

img638.jpg
[/QUOTE]
dennis howell tries out his loud hailer at the back of his coventry road committee rooms dated 1961

and 2 pics of church lane aston dated 1969

img638.jpg
lodge road hockley dated 1961

img611.jpg

miller st newtown under demolision dated 1967

img610.jpg

wheeler st date 1966

img612.jpg

wheeler st dated 1966

img613.jpg
great photo's from the age of steam, looks to be around 1964/65 period.Paul

When I look at all these old brick houses in your pictures Lynne, it saddens me to think there are people still having to live in them. Up the back yards, dirty looking streets outdoor tiolets, rooms so small you can hardly move around in them. They should all be Bulldosed and new ones built for the people of Birmingham inner cities to live in.
Bless you All. Wallyb.

wallyb71, I was under the impression this type of housing you refer to as long since gone. Where about in Birmingham are they situated ? I lived in a back to back for a few years in Aston when leaving the RAF in 1956, but the whole area was demolished in the 60's and I think by the 70's/80's all sub standard housing had been either demolished or modernised, indoor toilet and bathroom fitted, central heating, double glazing etc ... My daughter and Husband bought a terraced house in Fashoda Rd, Selly Park built in 1904 and brought it up to standard and lived there 25 years before moving to West Heath, I regularly visited them and was impressed in the way they improved it, it as now been turned into students lodgings. Eric

wallyb71, I was under the impression this type of housing you refer to as long since gone. Where about in Birmingham are they situated ? I lived in a back to back for a few years in Aston when leaving the RAF in 1956, but the whole area was demolished in the 60's and I think by the 70's/80's all sub standard housing had been either demolished or modernised, indoor toilet and bathroom fitted, central heating, double glazing etc ... My daughter and Husband bought a terraced house in Fashoda Rd, Selly Park built in 1904 and brought it up to standard and lived there 25 years before moving to West Heath, I regularly visited them and was impressed in the way they improved it, it as now been turned into students lodgings. Eric

Hello Eric, I was referring to all the housing I saw in the pictures that Astoness posted from the Sixties, But as you say most of all the housing from back then has been replaced. Thanks for your reply.

good evening alli worked on quite few mods in the seventies and eighties,
they were in quite a state I wonder if they are still in good shape or are they just as bad now as they were? from what I've seen on the google street cams some of the areas are a not very nice.

I had a cupcake or an ice bun every day from Wimbushes. Ours became 3 Cooks or Braggs or Greggs.One after the other.With a pull down front and no door so th pigeons come in.

This brought back memories as Wimbush used to have a main bakery down Kyrwicks Lane, Sparkbrook. Or at least it was reached by going down that way. In the late 1950s, local kids, including me and my older sister, would check out their yard for stale buns and cakes that had been left outside. Looking back, I suppose the workers left them there for us. We considered them a real treat!

Regards, Ray.

This brought back memories as Wimbush used to have a main bakery down Kyrwicks Lane, Sparkbrook. Or at least it was reached by going down that way. In the late 1950s, local kids, including me and my older sister, would check out their yard for stale buns and cakes that had been left outside. Looking back, I suppose the workers left them there for us. We considered them a real treat!

Regards, Ray.

I tell a lie! The memory playing tricks again. It wasn't a Wimbush bakery down Kyrwicks Lane, it was Hawleys bakery that provided us kids with the stale treats. Ah, happy days.

Regards, Ray

yeh remember that,we used to pass it going to pictures alhambra picture house i think.
,used to be opposite on moseley road

yeh remember that,we used to pass it going to pictures alhambra picture house i think.
,used to be opposite on moseley road

That fits with my memories too, Bhatti. The Alhambra was thereabouts and was a Saturday morning venue.

Back