• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Yes I used to type up on Banda sheets back in the late 50s/early 60s. I worked as a temp and was sent to most of the big firms in the area. I mostly remember using the Banda sheets at GKN in Smethwick where I went to regularly. The sheets made your fingers purple.
I used to produce letters on the banda and gestetner machines that the secretaries had typed I always thought the banda fluid might be nice with tonic and a slice of lemon. I expect it was poisonous. I also often messed them up and a nice secretary from the 'top floor' would come and rescue me, the layers had to be aligned and I often got them crinkled up. I noticed they used pink correction fluid on them. I used to jam the franking machine too and get red ink all over me and red and black changing typewriter ribbons.
The newspaper bundles used to be tied with twine then not the dangerous unbreakable plastic they brought in. One of the secretaries broke her arm catching her foot in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
what a smashing photo carolina...just look at the good old no 8 lol looks to me as though its just heading away from the tunnel as we used to call it..not seen this one before:)

lyn
I can hear the bottles rattling, over cobbles. Don't hear that anymore. You knew the milkman was coming.

We've still got a local milkman who delivers bottled milk............from his Mitsubishi truck, he delivers to my next door neighbour, mine is also still delivered but in the same containers you get in the supermarkets.

We've still got a local milkman who delivers bottled milk............from his Mitsubishi truck, he delivers to my next door neighbour, mine is also still delivered but in the same containers you get in the supermarkets.
No shake, bottle rattle and roll then?

hi folks time for a few more from me...

would love to know where abouts in unett st newtown this shop was and who the 2 ladies and the little girl are..
buying and selling war saving certs at a general store dated 1940View attachment 86773

This is the first photo of Unett Street that I've seen - thank you.
It may not be the exact location, but very good to see.

My g-g-grandfather Edwin Forester, lived at 39 Unett Street in 1851 with the Cattle family, after he arrived from Shrewsbury.

Was Unett Street named after someone or somewhere? I ask as I I knew someone with that surname. They thought their name to be of foreign origin and I have never heard of it since. They pronounced it unit like a shop unit.

Col. Thomas Unett b.1800. at 6, The Square ie. by what was Lewis's. Served in Crimean War. His father was a landowner around Hockley and Aston. I think it was the father John Wilkes Unett who had the road named after him. Is there a connection with the John Wilkes Booth who had a plaque in the Old Square underpass, with regard to assassination of President Lincoln.

Last edited:
Col. Thomas Unett b1800 6, The Square ie. by what was Lewis's. Served in Crimean War. His father was a landowner around Hockley and Aston. I think it was the father John Wilkes Unett who had the road named after him. Is there a connection with the John Wilkes Booth who had a plaque in the Old Square underpass, with regard to assassination of President Lincoln.
Thankyou

There was a solicitor called John Wilkes Unett who had lived in Birmingham and Smethwick. He owned lots of land in Smethwick so I presume the streets were named after him.

St Phillips Cathedral Colmore Row, The Unett Memorial.

City St Philips Unett Memorial.jpg

The memorial inscription reads,

ALMA

INKERMANN

SEBASTOPOL

THOMAS UNETT, C. B.
LIEUTENANT COLONEL OF THE 19TH FOOT
BORN IN BIRMINGHAM
ON THE 12TH OF NOVEMBER 1800
WAS MORTALLY WOUNDED
AT THE SIEGE OF SEBASTOPOL
WHILE LEADNG THE BRITISH COLUMN
TO THE FINAL ASSAULT ON THE REDAN
ON THE 8TH OF SEPTEMBER 1855.
HIS FRIENDS AND FELLOW TOWNSMEN
DEDICATE THIS OBELISK
TO HIS MEMORY
AS A RECORD OF THE NOBLE EXAMPLE
OF ONE WHO CHOSE THE FOREMOST PLACE
IN THE PATH OF DUTY
AND MET DEATH
WITH THE CALM UNDAUNTED SPIRIT
OF A CHRISTIAN SOLDIER

Reproduced from The Victorian Wars Forum.

Last edited:
Hi can anyone remember a cafe on new town row Aston in 1964-69 or on st Stephens street from 1969-1972? Any information will help please

cracking photo carolina...bhatti i cant be certain but it could be the one in vyse st

lyn

Hockley Station was the other side of Icknield Street from the present Jewellery Quarter Station. I can remember wondering into the site through an open gate in Pitsford Street in about 1990 and although the buildings had gone the platforms were still there and the there were unguarded holes in the platforms with the steps down into the subway. I don't know the date of this photo but I remember the station as a four platform station which is not obvious from this photo.

Back