• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Great pictures. The one of Aston High Street makes me wonder if anyone has a photo of the High Street near Six Ways showing Fawcett's Ironmongers before they built the new Birchfield Road. It was at number 10. Richard Tatt

hi richard somewhere on the forum i posted a cracking pic of 6 ways also showing alma st under demo..i am just wondering if fawcetts may have been on it..but do you think i can locate it..will have to do a search for you in my files will post if i find it

lyn

Great pics Lyn, cant believe how narrow some of the streets were, I'm sure they were wider when I was a kid.

lynne i know what you mean...everytime i go down the old end and stand on the corner of nursery road looking up villa st i cant believe just how small it is yet growing up there it seemed to take ages to walk up villa st...

Great photos Lyn. I set myself the task of looking at finding products or services that have now virtually disappeared or gone altogether. (Yes I know I should be doing more important things!!) Here's a few:

Stove enamelling
Nylons
Hosiery Department
Tobacconist
Ironmongery

The world has changed.

Love the photo of Temple Row. Werff! I remember them but not on that site.They had various shops in the 60s. It was always a shop that Mum and I went in when we went into Town. Must have had a fair few items of clothing from there. Think it mostly sold 'Separates' (another retail word that's disappeared). And for those younger members who don't know the meaning of separates it was tops and bottoms I.e. cardigans, blouses and skirts and trousers. Hence the meaning of Lewis Separates, another popular shop in the 50s/60s.

Viv.
image.php

From when were all discussing Arcades a few years ago

Thanks Richie. Looks like Werffs sold more than 'separates'. They seem to have coats and jackets in the window. Don't remember them selling coats as I never had one from there. Maybe they were too expensive.

This arcade (Windsor) later became North Western Arcade. But the 'Windsor' name continued in the offices above Rackhams/House of Fraser. When I worked in the offices it was called Windsor House. Viv.

Smashing pictures Lyn here's a couple of mine , the Mermaid looking very gothic , another Werff shop on Coventry Road around the 1900s ,a couple of nechells baths Nechells PaRk Road

Attachments

• %the mermaid.jpg
    %the mermaid.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 137
  • %coventry-road-small-heath-c1910 before the Coronet was built.jpg
    %coventry-road-small-heath-c1910 before the Coronet was built.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 133
  • % college road board schools 1.jpg
    % college road board schools 1.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 120
  • %Nechells park road villa & baths e.jpg
    %Nechells park road villa & baths e.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 125
  • %nechells park rd baths.jpg
    %nechells park rd baths.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 115
cracking photos bernie....thanks for posting them and i agree with mike...that is the best one i have seen of the mermaid

cheers

lyn

What a lovely photo of the old Mermaid Hotel. That is how I wish to remember it. It was still rather nice when I played in the resident band there, in the very early 1950's.

Eddie

A great shot of Windsor Arcade. I see the window cleaner has left his ladder, against one window, and his bucket and leathers outside another window. Maybe gone for a cup of tea.

Eddie

Great picture of Temple Row, in April 1951 istarted my first job in the block after leaving school . It was for a firm called E Alec Coleman a firm of estate agents.

I find that traffic flow amazing. Cars driving around each side of the bollards, and a bus facing them, ready to drive out from the station bus shelters. If I recall it right, Colmore Row was 'one way', but the station bus service was allowed to turn down Snow Hill.

Eddie.

The car following the coach to go past Snow Hill station appears to be a Triumph Herald. That was the first make of car that I drove. Dave

Just past the station, at the top of Livery Street, was a Civic Radio Shop, where my mum & dad bought me my first radiogram, for my 21st birthday.
Eddie

I have the feeling that the car following the coach is a Triumph Vitesse. The slight sloping back suggests it.

I am not sure of the photos date as during my time in Birmingham (pre 1954) I do not think traffic coming up Snow Hill (from the Hockley direction) could not turn right into Colmore Row, that movement was achieved from Livery Street. I cannot be accurate, however, as at that time I was below the driving age. :biggrin:

The bus in front of Snow Hill station - facing the opposite direction to the other traffic - would be on it way to Dudley or Wednesbury (or maybe a short working just to West Bromwich) and was a West Bromwich Corporation bus. This traffic reversal was a continuation of the former tram routes which also departed from Snow Hill station frontage. The off loading point for these services was around the corner at the top end of Livery Street. I guess with the reconstruction and road building of the city centre areas caused many road layouts to be changed from time to time.

Bernie,

Many thanks for posting my old Infants and Junior Schools. I'll add that to my database if I may. I left there in July 1947.

Maurice

Hi Radiorails. Agree it could be a Vitesse as my car did not have a sloping back. The Triumph Herald was introduced in 1959 and the Vitesse in 1962, so the picture should not be earlier than 1959 (If a Herald) or 1962 (if a Vitesse). Dave.

Cliff Deeley, the bandleader at the Tower Ballroom, was always submitting, to Birmingham City Council, his ideas for changing the traffic layouts around the city centre. It was his pet hobby.

Eddie

Hi Radiorails. Agree it could be a Vitesse as my car did not have a sloping back. The Triumph Herald was introduced in 1959 and the Vitesse in 1962, so the picture should not be earlier than 1959 (If a Herald) or 1962 (if a Vitesse). Dave.

Screenshot (36).jpg Vitesse Convertible, not sure if this is correct photo as it does not have the Vitesse radiator which was more V shaped

Paul is correct about the Vitesse style whilst the car shown in the Street photo is of an early Herald Coupé 948 a version not carried on into the 1200 series. The Herald and Vitesse rooflines were common.

Welcome to the Triumph Herald Archive

1959 was a key year in the motoring world, seeing the launch of the Austin Mini, the Ford Anglia and the Triumph Herald. Over 100,000 948 Triumph Heralds were made from 1959 and beyond its production life of 1961 with knock down kits being exported around the world. The 948 Triumph Herald was available as a Saloon and a Coupe, then later as a Convertible.

triumph-herald-coup_25C3_25A9-11.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine also Dave - it served us very well for many a year. Trying desperately to recall its Reg'n No but only got as far as '95** VC' so far. Coventry registered cars often had the 4 numerals and two letter plates.

Back