• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old building Query

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
This photo was posted on another website, and captioned as a building in Lichfield Street, sited BEFORE the Birmingham Law Courts were built in Corporation Street....can anybody vouch for that?

Attachments

• 309521550_10223675281363610_7996816970450401675_n.jpg
    309521550_10223675281363610_7996816970450401675_n.jpg
    757.4 KB · Views: 22
Sign appears to say moved to the opposite corner Aston St, which was the opposite corner. Map from 1839, building (?) marked with pink dot...

z - Lichfield St.jpg

Another puzzler...when they say MOVED to Aston Street....the building in BrummieGeof's post shows it exact....surely they woudn't move it brick by brick.etc....?

The building in the pictures is the same from 2 different angles - yours corner of Lancaster St and Lichfield St, BrummieGeoff's corner of Lancaster St and Steel House Lane. The main frontage was on Lancaster St, sides going down the other 2.

I'd guess it was knocked down when Corporation St was built and they moved to a different uilding.

As MWS suggests, the building was probably demolished as part of the Corporation Street development .... I believe the photo I posted was taken by James Burgoyne as part of a series to record views that would be lost when Corporation Street was cut through town.

Re. photo in post #4, what are oil and colourmen ? Is to supply oil and paints ? They’re also ‘Druggists’ so could it be some sort of chemical processing ? Viv.

Last edited:
........... I believe the photo I posted was taken by James Burgoyne as part of a series to record views that would be lost when Corporation Street was cut through town.
For those interested there’s a thread about James Burgoyne’s Birmingham photographs here :

Viv.

Re. photo in post #4, what are oil and colourmen ? Is to supply oil and paints ? They’re also ‘Druggists’ so could it be some sort of chemical processing ? Viv.
Oil and colourmen were suppliers of all sorts of chemical products, including oils, paint materials, dyes etc

I think the Steelhouse Lane photo shows a pub in the foreground .... on the corner of Lancaster Street. Does anyone know the name of that pub ?

1889 map has the George and Dragon on the corner of Steelhouse Lane and Weaman St.

The Castle is the corner on the 1889 map but that would have been a little further up on the mentioned photo, that corner has been demolished.

Tried to overlay the earlier road layout over the 1889 map, not great but it shows how far the Castle was from the corner...

0 - Lichfield St.jpg

If the date 1881 is correct, then I do not think it was then a pub, . The 1880 directory does not list one around that position./ But the 1879 edition (which probably refers to 1878) shows the Old Star at no 70 Steelhouse Lane, which would be about the right position.
Having said that, the licence of the Old Star was transferred to Edward Pickmore on 7.8.1879; then to W.Francis on 5.8.1880; to Michael McInnis on 7.10.1880; to Alfred humpage on 7.10.1881. Having said that , there was a clearout sale of furniture and bar equipment reported there on 7. 5.1880. There was an advert of sale of materials from the Old Star and adjoining buildings advertised to occur on 24.10.1881.
There seems to be some arguments as to the working of the licensing system referred to in the report below

Birm post.7.12.1881.jpg

Last edited:
The attached 1887 map shows a pub on the corner of Steelhouse Lane and Lancaster Street .... the site of the Castle PH in the previous map.
However, I initially thought that the lamp attached to the building in the foreground of the Steelhouse Lane photo was the type often seen on pubs of that era .... but now I look more closely I think it has "Lancaster St" written on it. Did they use lamps like this as "street signs"?
1887 Steelhouse Lane.jpg

Last edited:
Back