• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

To wet your appetite here is a close up from a street scene showing a few adverts on the wall above the shops, as a clue J.A Turtle was a newsagent in this road, with Mortimer Bros. at no. 25.

View attachment 158078
Shivam is at 4 Cannon hill road in 2016, where Turtle's newsagents were. Almost all the buildings in the street have been so modernised (or rebuilt) that it is impossible to tell where the older view was taken

4 cannon hill road 2016.jpg

A view of Bristol Street from on high, nice selection of busses parked and a fledgling Bristol Street Motors. Church been built in the distance. Interesting selection of properties still standing on the left as you look at Bristol Street, soon to be swept away. Small pockets of old properties are still remaining in this view.

View attachment 158077
We’ve been round this area a few times !

A6AA7944-A659-4644-9ED7-9531A91C2872.jpeg

Another random hoarding on the Pershore Road from 1972, like the owning over the shop, with the White Lemonade advert on the wall, next door is V Jones , Motor Books Manuals and paperbacks - which may give a clue to what number Pershore Road. Note also the cast iron channelling taking the rain water from the downpipe to the gutter across the pavement.
EDIT see #2,048 for mikejee's details on location including plan - thanks Mike

Hoardings Pershore Road - 72 -3.jpg

Last edited:
This is an intersting picture - one shop in a row of terraced houses - cannot tell if it is still trading looks a little run down but an amazing selection of adverts in the windows and the attached to the walls. The address is 64 Holliday Road, 1975. Love the leaded windows in the houses but the fronts vary with a small bay upstairs with one support, square bay with two supports then no bay but arched windows to match the front porch.

64 Holliday Road - 75.jpg

Before I forget here is the answer to the quiz picture posted last time I was on, I love everything about this picture and it is one which will allow for many visits to study, from the cars to the shop fronts, the cobbles to the first and second floors and including the men we presume sell wallpaper to the gent in front of Mortimers.
EDIT: Thanks to mikejee - #2,055 and RobT -#2,056 for location and details.

Test279.jpg

Last edited:
Another random hoarding on the Pershore Road from 1972, like the owning over the shop, with the White Lemonade advert on the wall, next door is V Jones , Motor Books Manuals and paperbacks - which may give a clue to what number Pershore Road. Note also the cast iron channelling taking the rain water from the downpipe to the gutter across the pavement.

View attachment 158226

This is 1159, 1161 Pershore road, as shown in c 1950 map

map c1950 1159 and 1161 Pershore road.jpg

This is an intersting picture - one shop in a row of terraced houses - cannot tell if it is still trading looks a little run down but an amazing selection of adverts in the windows and the attached to the walls. The address is 64 Holliday Road, 1975. Love the leaded windows in the houses but the fronts vary with a small bay upstairs with one support, square bay with two supports then no bay but arched windows to match the front porch.

View attachment 158228
64 Holliday Road B21 Handsworth
Shop gone, but some front walls the same

62 holiday road.PNG

Last edited:
Before I forget here is the answer to the quiz picture posted last time I was on, I love everything about this picture and it is one which will allow for many visits to study, from the cars to the shop fronts, the cobbles to the first and second floors and including the men we presume sell wallpaper to the gent in front of Mortimers.

View attachment 158229
Is the answer invisible street ? there appears to be no answer

View attachment 158229
There was a J.A. Turtle (Newsagents at 91 Court Road, Balsall Heath) in 1967 ish.

View attachment 158229
The block of buildings close by is 21-37 Ryland St. No 21 in 1962 Kellys is J.A Turtle and 25 is Motirmer Bros

map c 1956 Ryland st showing  21-37.jpg

View attachment 158229
Is it Court Road??
1968 phone book entry
1624316998068.png
Edit: I have answered my own question - it can't be as 91 is wrong if Mortimers is 25.

Last edited:
As we have just been on the Hagley Road I thought I would drop in a shop from the area - this is 355 - 363 Hagley Road in 1972, interesting balconies and also note the shape of Arnolds Stores which has one frontage that stands infront of the other. I like the clock on the front and the roof lines, apologies for the ghost signs on the pavement, felt tip is a bit more difficult to remove than chinagraph. Is that a Maxi parked on the road?

355-363 Hagley Road - 72.jpg

I was going to say finally a bit of colour but the best I could manage are the cars and telephone boxes around the frontage - the building is that pollution colour many buildings have / had , the BMI and Library, I am sure you can tell me the location, I was trying to work out where you were going to need a NO Entry sign - seems to be stopping driving across the pavement !! Not sure of the year either.

Test157 1.jpg

Another wall this time High Street Harborne in 1979, couple of doors down from " the Plough"? I dont know the area so not sure if there is a "and Harrow" Interesting building across the road and van coming towards us. I think we had a photo some time ago from this area.
View attachment 158280

The pub is called just "The Plough". The small car park / loading bay in the foreground belongs to the old bakery which can be seen to the right of the photo. If memory serves correct I think it was "Hughleys bakers". For a time after the bakery closed down it was used as a car storage and valeting facility for All Electric Garage Group which had showroom and premises further along Harborne High Street at the junction of Greenfield Road. The old bakery being long demolished and replaced with modern office buildings.

Back