• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Beehive Warehouse - Masshouse Lane 1971, iconic, derelict building looks like its shedding plaster work, I cannot imaging walking down that fire escape but I believe it was around for many years after this. Can I point out the lamp bottom left on the picture

Beehive Warehouse  -  Masshouse Lane- 71 x.jpg

This one is over the road from the Police Station where we were the other week -Edit - Incorrect see reply from mikejee below

Bristol Road South from 1968, leafy suburbs, seems a lot quieter, with only a few cars. Love the three storey house on the left and again those historic cars.
Bristol Road South - 68.jpg

Last edited:
Finally Pershore Road Stirchley 1972 - I have a selection from around here of just hoardings - nice to recall the adverts but doesn't tell you much else - this is one of the better ones but again the selection is a bit sketchy, the finest point thought is the cast iron Urinal - the saviour to many after a session!!

Pershore Road Stirchley - 72.jpg

This one is over the road from the Police Station where we were the other week - Bristol Road South from 1968, leafy suburbs, seems a lot quieter, with only a few cars. Love the three storey house on the left and again those historic cars.

View attachment 154558
Steve
This is further along on the same side , not over the road. You can just see the police station in the distance, and too the right of it is Kalamazoo (now Reynolds & Reynolds)

Bits and pieces day today - If like me you have been looking at Tates Photos on Made in Brum - Old Photos you will have seen #5776 - Compare that view with this one taken on the corner of Bulls Street and dale End in 1970, lot of building work and temporary wires going everywhere.View attachment 154508
This, as near as I can get, is the same corner today.

Attachments

• Bull Street Dale End -2021.JPG
    Bull Street Dale End -2021.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 32
Waverley Hotel High Street taken in 1968, unrecognisable from today, love the Ansells sign on the front of the hotel, and there is a smaller one down the side of the building. A close look shows a variety of signs from all different ages. Also note the two men in flat caps bottom left how have just met!!

View attachment 154509
Lake Carpets were on the corner of Albert street and New Meeting Street. This is the corner of Albert Street now.

Attachments

• Waverley Hotel High Street - 2021.JPG
    Waverley Hotel High Street - 2021.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 28
I noted on a forum that the row of shops on Birchfield Road by the station had been demolished, not a very good shot but this is what it used to look like in 1977, shop signs and posters stuck everywhere and a muddle of roof heights and styles.

View attachment 154511
This is the last streetview - notice all the cranes working in the area.

Attachments

• Perry Barr -2020.JPG
    Perry Barr -2020.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 28
Today we are back on street scenes, views from an location that are not necessarily there today.

New John Street West / Barr Street 1968, bit a contrast from the background to the new pavement at the front, and the industrial building just sat there. Nice selection of cars in the car park and one Jaguar to break the empty road.

View attachment 154555
This is the junction of Barr Street (on the right) and New John Street today. I think the building on the right might be the one in the photo

Attachments

• New John Street West Barr Street - 2021.JPG
    New John Street West Barr Street - 2021.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 19
Beehive Warehouse - Masshouse Lane 1971, iconic, derelict building looks like its shedding plaster work, I cannot imaging walking down that fire escape but I believe it was around for many years after this. Can I point out the lamp bottom left on the picture
index.php
The building was around for many years after 1971 ... below shows it in 1987 ... :)
In October 1987 a long queue stood by the Inner Ring Road near Moor Street Station. People had been offered the chance to walk though the reopened tunnel between Moor Street and Snow Hill stations and hundreds turned up.
index.php

View attachment 154557
Difficult to judge where this was exactly but this is Masshouse Lane in 2019 - (2020 had a bus blocking the shot).

Attachments

• Beehive Warehouse  -  Masshouse Lane- 2021.JPG
    Beehive Warehouse - Masshouse Lane- 2021.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 32
This one is over the road from the Police Station where we were the other week -Edit - Incorrect see reply from mikejee below

Bristol Road South from 1968, leafy suburbs, seems a lot quieter, with only a few cars. Love the three storey house on the left and again those historic cars.
View attachment 154558
Buildings on the right are still there. View taken from wrong carriageway as there was a bus outside the buildings.

Attachments

• Bristol Road South - 2021.JPG
    Bristol Road South - 2021.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Bristol Road South - bus.JPG
    Bristol Road South - bus.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 26
I don't know this road at all but this is the only railway bridge I came across.
Hi Janice, Know this Road very well, used it for many years. It was the main route we used when visiting my parents from Burntwood to Sheldon. It is the usual route for us when going into Brum too. Obviously not used it of late because of lockdown. Many thanks.

Last edited:
The building was around for many years after 1971 ... below shows it in 1987 ... :)
Couple of comments. Masshouse Circus, what a mess that was! Planned in the days when the car was meant to be 'king' and, of course, Birmingham was one the country's top 'motowns'. I read that had the planners had their way, even more of the city would have been dreadfully developed including the monstrous inner ring highway that we can see in the photo. Colmore Row would have been wiped out though, they did a pretty thorough job on Great Charles Street.

I've long heard about the Beehive and now know where it was. I often used to wonder what that isolated building I could see form the bus was. Another travesty was the demolition of, I think it was called, Triangle House which became a car park for the La Tour Hotel or whatever that is now called. Anyway, a bit of trivia that I'd guess most will have heard but's worth repeating, was that a certain Jeff Lyne of ELO fame worked with Robert Davis, better known as Jasper Carrot, at the Beehive before they found more worthwhile and rewarding careers!

Finally, I did the walk through the tunnels between Moor Street and Snow Hill and must be in that queue somewhere. What a great experience it was with the fee going to charity which was brilliant. I'm sure no one will disagree that thank goodness Moor Street, because it was outside the inner ring road survived. It's such a shame that Snow Hill couldn't also have been saved.

So much of the old Birmingham was destroyed in the 1960s in the name of 'progress'.

Firstly a couple for jimbo - hope they are close enough to you !!
18 High Street Harborne 1965
From left to right , leg of dog, Smoke room of the pub - imagine, sign for the gents, Moggie, scooter, nice shaped frontages, sign on side of building, lamppost and Shell garage

18 High Street Harborne - 65.jpg

We now move on 15 years, 70 High Street Harborne 1980, first we have Bejam remember them? Building with the turret and the back of a Fleetliner bus. Next is a building with the shaped front - church hall? and a garage which would sort of fit with the previous picture - someone will tell you.

70 High Street Harborne - 80.jpg

This is Washwood Heath Bus garage from 1980, a selection of busses scattered around, and the old garage itself, on the left is the sign for "AND" , there is also a lampost with almost a spire and a nice selection of vehicles - I thing we spoil our car spotters at times.

Washwood Heath Road - Garage  - 80.jpg

1191 Stratford Road in 1969, worth a zoom in , looks quite modern off to the distance, then the Morris van coming towards us, railway bridge, lawn mower repairs and supplies and a selection of cars - nice MG and a very battered Herald, which brings us to Cateswell Cafe with its neon sign in the window.

1191 Stratford Road - 69.jpg

Firstly a couple for jimbo - hope they are close enough to you !!
18 High Street Harborne 1965
From left to right , leg of dog, Smoke room of the pub - imagine, sign for the gents, Moggie, scooter, nice shaped frontages, sign on side of building, lamppost and Shell garage

View attachment 154696

1966 Griffiths Jones and Co. certified accountants, at 18 High Street.

10 Pershore Street again from 1980 one of those places we all passed, USDAW offices, sign for Bath Passage, metal framed windows on Laurence Brothers and the usual pedestrians in the rain.

View attachment 154699
How soulless this all looks, I know it is wet and in black & white, but somehow you know you would not want to holiday here. Keep them coming.

Bob

Back