• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Waverley Hotel High Street taken in 1968, unrecognisable from today, love the Ansells sign on the front of the hotel, and there is a smaller one down the side of the building. A close look shows a variety of signs from all different ages. Also note the two men in flat caps bottom left how have just met!!

Waverley Hotel High Street - 68.jpg

1937/8 Morris Eight Series 2, pierced steel wheels, not wires as on earlier cars.

1953+ Vauxhall, Velox I think. Cresta would’ve had spats over the back wheels, Wyvern was plainer.
Didn't the "Cresta" have the "Sabrina" over riders, if you know what I mean!

As a hobby I take all those packets of negatives and boxes of slides that you your parents or grandparents have stuffed at the back of the cupboard, scan them put them onto a memory stick and return them - the reason? to gather images such as this which would never otherwise make the light of day. The Boys Brigade and Church photos from yesterday came the same way.
Western Loco at Snow Hill Station love the newsagents clock and general bustle, lot better than todays Snow Hill.
PS Happy to have the conversation .

Snow Hill Station.jpg

thats a great shot of the new crown and cushion steve or as it used to be called the little crown and cushion due to the large one that was almost opposite also gone...yes up until sunday the shops including the new crown had been demolished... i did take some photos but not had time to post them as yet...i would imagine the remaining 5 shops and possibly the bank on the corner with aston lane has gone by now

lyn

Still very similar
I have started to scan " Business premises " this is 57 - 59 - Soho Road in 1975, love the look of the buildings, window frames attic eaves and the porch over the door, also note the bracket on the front of Albion Traders and the foreign interloper on the car front.

View attachment 154512
Similar today above the ground floor

As a hobby I take all those packets of negatives and boxes of slides that you your parents or grandparents have stuffed at the back of the cupboard, scan them put them onto a memory stick and return them - the reason? to gather images such as this which would never otherwise make the light of day. The Boys Brigade and Church photos from yesterday came the same way.
Western Loco at Snow Hill Station love the newsagents clock and general bustle, lot better than todays Snow Hill.

View attachment 154510
steve what a wonderful attitude you have towards preserving birminghams historical photos...a few years ago my brother bought a shed load of slides off someone who took photos during the 60s and 70s even though he does not have a pc and no idea how to get them off the slides ..he just wanted them...during the next few days i will have a word with him just to confirm i have my facts correct and if i may i will get in touch with you via private message

lyn

steve what a wonderful attitude you have towards preserving birminghams historical photos...a few years ago my brother bought a shed load of slides off someone who took photos during the 60s and 70s even though he does not have a pc and no idea how to get them off the slides ..he just wanted them...during the next few days i will have a word with him just to confirm i have my facts correct and if i may i will get in touch with you via private message

lyn
More than happy to assist Lyn , as I said , you might have 100 photos of Aunty Nellie and Uncle Frank but everyone occasionally takes a photo of where they went these are the ones that make it all worth while.
My Uncle died and left a host of pictures this was among them -worth sorting through him and his wife!!

20160302211551_11.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 154510

The clock reminds me of a brief encounter !

Waverley Hotel High Street taken in 1968, unrecognisable from today, love the Ansells sign on the front of the hotel, and there is a smaller one down the side of the building. A close look shows a variety of signs from all different ages. Also note the two men in flat caps bottom left how have just met!!

View attachment 154509
Thank you so much for this photo. I now remember how New Meeting Street used to look from this angle. All I have to do now is try and remember the name of the “beatnik” cafe I frequented in 1966. Much appreciated. Regards,

More than happy to assist Lyn , as I said , you might have 100 photos of Aunty Nellie and Uncle Frank but everyone occasionally takes a photo of where they went these are the ones that make it all worth while.
My Uncle died and left a host of pictures this was among them -worth sorting through him and his wife!!

View attachment 154517

What a great picture.

“The Royal Albert Bridge is a railway bridge which spans the River Tamar in England between Plymouth, Devon and Saltash, Cornwall. Its unique design consists of two 455-foot (138.7 m) lenticular iron trusses 100 feet (30.5 m) above the water, with conventional plate-girder approach spans. This gives it a total length of 2,187.5 feet (666.8 m). It carries the Cornish Main Line railway in and out of Cornwall. It is adjacent to the Tamar Bridge which opened in 1962 to carry the A38 road.”

View attachment 154517
cheers steve i will be in touch as soon as i have spoken to my brother and find out exactly what he has got

lyn

View attachment 154517
Thanks for this one Steve, my wife used to live in a road close to here almost under the bridge and when I started to collect postcards, I started to co.llect cards of the bridges and the Saltash ferry which preceeded the road bridge I now have about 300 and this would have made a good one with the lorry. There are three or four modern colour cards taken from the same angle. I also crossed it the day it opened on a dark stormy autumn night.
Bob

Bits and pieces day today - If like me you have been looking at Tates Photos on Made in Brum - Old Photos you will have seen #5776 - Compare that view with this one taken on the corner of Bulls Street and dale End in 1970, lot of building work and temporary wires going everywhere.View attachment 154508
I spy the entrance to The Hole in the Wall pub. Spent many an hour in there. Quite often lunch times with an oppo that worked in a camera shop in Martineau Square. Happy days.

NoddKD

Today we are back on street scenes, views from an location that are not necessarily there today.

New John Street West / Barr Street 1968, bit a contrast from the background to the new pavement at the front, and the industrial building just sat there. Nice selection of cars in the car park and one Jaguar to break the empty road.

New John Street West Barr Street - 68 x.jpg

Last edited:
Kingsbury Road 1971 - heading towards Minworth, before the railways bridge, hard to believe that this country road is the same location as today worlds away, only give away are the chimneys from the factory in the distance.Kingsbury Road - 71.jpg

Last edited:
Back