• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Just remembered that this journey was via a car so adds more logic to it - next is the old cinema on Dudley Road, corner of - but just cannot make it out - sure someone will know.

View attachment 179118
The Dudley Road Picture House was opened in 1912.
Closed in 1932, when the Grove Cinema was opened.
Then it became Hawley's Dance Studio
Today, I think it is now a snooker hall - sorry could not make out the name of the road.

Next we have a rather vague description of Chester Road Castle Vale for the following pictures - this one is on the approach to Spitfire island although now there are not so many high rise buildings.

View attachment 179347
The flat in the centre of the picture is Concorde Tower, all the other flats has now been demolished except for two, which is Topcliffe Hose and Chivenor House, which both these flats are attached to the schools. the waste ground is where the petrol station is today.

Following on the same roll we now move to Broad Street, I know I have posted an image of this location but more of the Antiques shop, this show both the shop and the church - taken in 1973 and both now long gone. Was anything of the church saved ? it seems from this angle there were plenty of carving and glasswork that would seem a shame to jump consign to a skip.

View attachment 180129
I remember this antique shop, my mum and nan used to love a mooch in there.

The Gunmakers Arms is 123 Gerrard St.
With regard to the WEPB file, they save showing as jpg/jpeg but will not open in my (rather old) photo program. They can be converted at https://ezgif.com/webp-to-jpg, where the site says that the program: WebP is a relatively new image format with good compression and image quality, but not all web browsers and image viewers support it yet. It apparently shows transparency, though not sure exactly what that means
With regard to this problem of mine, it would appear to be due to some changes in chrome :

Post 442. My wife and myself was going to buy a new build in Gunmakers Walk in 1976 not long after we got married, but lucky for us we were offered a similar type of house on the Aldridge Road Great Barr close to Shady Lane, we snatch their arm off, Gunmakers Walk is to left of the pub,

Next picture we have is titled Farm Street / Wheeler Street, as we can see this is not a corner so do the two roads run into each other at this point? Small shoe repair shop - interesting building to the left with a large chimney and a selection of interesting cars on the road. Taken on the 27th March 1961.
Brummy Lad provided the following "This is No. 263 Farm Street, S Young (shoe repairer). "
20230123204105_10.jpg

Last edited:
23rd March 1967 is when this photo was taken and my information says it is the old West End Suffolk Street, I can see that is called the West End Ballroom, I assume is was always a dance location? Just one figure walking up the street I imagine it was a lot busier Saturday nights!

View attachment 180130
Steve a great venue for the Mods in the 60's , sprung wooden floor so I hear .

this picture is titled Brough standing in Farm Street Aston 4th April 1955, love the advert down the side of the building, and the line of cars / vans in the road, can anyone add to this description?
Additional from Astoness: the building is Broughs Builders Farm Street
20230123204222_02.jpg

Last edited:
Finally we come to the end of roll 128 and an interesting one - I have 36 descriptions and unfortunately 37 pictures - I dont think it is me as I have seen more pictures than descriptions before - so this leads me to the picture, a large church building with a bus stop outside next to
Websters, a shop with the blinds down, seems to be a hardware store? On the left is a building with fine arched leaded window with an opening in the middle - over to you.
We have the following information from Brummy Lad :
Kellys in 1967/68 has Websters ( Hardware) at 307 Wheeler Street
The church is the Congregational Church top-end of Wheeler Street
also "Just realised there are 3 photos of the top end of Wheeler Street showing the church and Websters on:
www.leroux.co.uk/aston"
Thanks
20230123204222_03.jpg

Last edited:
This next image is of the Waverley Hotel Dale End, another location much changed , I can see the sign for the Top Rank Suite further down Dale End but of greater interest is the Carpet shop does such a thing exist in the city centre these days? Seems a shame all this was removed for the concrete of today
View attachment 180131
Yes Steve I've discussed the the Top Rank with a friend that was around at the time , it opened up as The Birmingham Suite . Talk on the street was it was the replacement for the recently closed West End . Alas you could never replace the West End , with that white elephant sad to say .

this picture is titled Brough standing in Farm Street Aston 4th April 1955, love the advert down the side of the building, and the line of cars / vans in the road, can anyone add to this description?
View attachment 180278
steve that is definately broughs builders farm st think i am correct in saying they then moved not far away from the corner of south road by hockley flyover but what i would like to know is what was the building to the left of it...i have never seen this photo before..i have looked at broughs many times from the playground of farm st school but for the life of me i just cant recall the building on the left...i guess it could have gone by the time i went to farm st school..maybe someone could look in kellys directory for me...thanks..some of the white building to the right of broughs is still there but most of it was demolished...todays st view below..what i find amazing is that after all these years my old dentist is still there on the far corner with villa st.. its in part of the building that used to be the peoples dispensary we have quite a few photos of that on the farm st thread..on the other corner of farm st and villa st out of shot in your photo would have been the white swan pub again we have photos of this on the farm st thread

lyn

Last edited:
Finally we come to the end of roll 128 and an interesting one - I have 36 descriptions and unfortunately 37 pictures - I dont think it is me as I have seen more pictures than descriptions before - so this leads me to the picture, a large church building with a bus stop outside next to
Websters, a shop with the blinds down, seems to be a hardware store? On the left is a building with fine arched leaded window with an opening in the middle - over to you.
View attachment 180279
if someone could kellys check to see if websters was in farm st steve towards the corner with villa st then i think this would have been hockley hall..the bus stop would have been the no 8 which in those days came straight over from icknield st into farm st did a left at the corner of farm st and villa st up villa st and then did a right up nursery road..in later years the route cut out that part and instead the no 8 came out of ickneild st into hunters road and then did a right into nursery road..

lyn

Next picture we have is titled Farm Street / Wheeler Street, as we can see this is not a corner so do the two roads run into each other at this point? Small shoe repair shop - interesting building to the left with a large chimney and a selection of interesting cars on the road. Taken on the 27th March 1961.
View attachment 180275
As far as I can see Farm street and Wheeler street are at right angles

farm wheeler.jpg

As far as I can see Farm street and Wheeler street are at right angles

View attachment 180280
thanks rob.... steve from memory wheeler st started at new john st west and crossed farm st...it was never a continuation of farm st..again from memory i think the pub on the corner of wheeler st and new john st west was call the redhouse and we do have a photo of it on the new john st west thread...but please remember this is all from memory but can easily be checked out

lyn

if someone could kellys check to see if websters was in farm st steve towards the corner with villa st then i think this would have been hockley hall..the bus stop would have been the no 8 which in those days came straight over from icknield st into farm st did a left at the corner of farm st and villa st up villa st and then did a right up nursery road..in later years the route cut out that part and instead the no 8 came out of ickneild st into hunters road and then did a right into nursery road..

lyn
Hi Lyn, can find no Websters on Farm Street but there is this entry for Wheeler Street (Kellys 1967/68)
1684056228150.png

View attachment 180279
It's the Congregational Church top-end of Wheeler Street

Attachments

• congregational-church-wheeler-street.jpg
    congregational-church-wheeler-street.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 15
View attachment 180275
This is No. 263 Farm Street, S Young (shoe repairer). Another view of this can be seen on post #209 of the Farm Street Hockley thread.

Attachments

• farm-st-#263.jpg
    farm-st-#263.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 17
Back