• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Sorry doesn't time fly when you take your eye off the ball, just noticed my last post was 1st June - so sorry.
So we got to the end of Princip Street and have now crossed the road and are heading back. Not sure if I said before these were taken 22nd January 1993, Main building is Turner machine Tools Limited - but I love the wider street scene , next door is a single storey industrial building but next to that are two residential houses !! view down the road hasn't changed in years.
20230114193516_01.jpg

Moving along we come to 47 Princip Street, the site of M.A.Lloyd metal fabricators, a well painted building that is looking a bit tired, along the road is a taller building with fine metal framed windows and next to that a building that would look out of place in a period drama, large delivery door fine windows and window surrounds. Now if you go to Street view the whole row has bee restored paint removed and a selection of "ghost signs found - amazing.

20230114193516_04.jpg

For this next image we have crossed back over the road and we are looking 24 - 32 Princip Street a fine building, delivery entrances, metal framed windows and sash windows to the second floor. Another building which has been there year - unfortunatly this one hasn't ben so lucky as the previous picture and all the windows have been replaced with modern replacements.
20230114193516_06.jpg

We now move onto Roll 81 same location to start, Princip Street, but back among the first images of the road we had on Roll 80 . I think he walked up one side back down the other and lost track of how far he got.
First up we have 16-18 Princip St, Birmingham B4 6LE, we have half of this view on image #504, here is a better view fine two storey building , main entrance, goods door and two sash windows no the ground floor and 4 sash windows on the first floor. Unfortunatly FIS Loveday Ltd have now ceased trading
20230114194116_01.jpg

Next we return to the two residential properties I talked about earlier,, I assume they have been there for over a century but why they were set among all the industry I have no idea. the brickwork under the eaves is a nice old feature as is the chimney to the two properties. The factory to the left has metal framed windows and the pay and display sign sticks out.

20230114194116_03.jpg

Moving along we come to 47 Princip Street, the site of M.A.Lloyd metal fabricators, a well painted building that is looking a bit tired, along the road is a taller building with fine metal framed windows and next to that a building that would look out of place in a period drama, large delivery door fine windows and window surrounds. Now if you go to Street view the whole row has bee restored paint removed and a selection of "ghost signs found - amazing.

View attachment 181046
bit annoyed steve because some years back i was allowed into this building to take photos but i cant find the thread or the photos at the min..all the old original workshops were still intact then at the back and inside was like stepping back in time..if i locate i will let you know

lyn

Roll 81 was a small roll and this is the last image and a move across town, there are 6 pictures of this photo which is in a frame some taken outside and some cropped this is the best one I feel. This is the Witton Arms - apologies if this has been seen before, taken in 1934 love all about this picture, the iron work, the clock - the lamps and the shop fronts on the right.
20230114194116_08.jpg

I get a message when trying this link that error has occurred, and am told by my laptop that "windows is unable to determine sites proxy settings"

Moving across to the left we have the start of the works to put in the floozie, you can see from this image how much work had to be done to install it and the base of the water feature is in the background. If you look at other pictures of this area from the past its hard to think it is an improvement from all the grass that used to be there,but there are no cars or busses now .
20230111220117_03.jpg

Last edited:
Next image is said to be buildings top of New Street, I have included it as it is an unusual view but also because again it shows what is above eye level, in the foreground the embossed work on the frontage and small details , and above that the little dormer windows, further back are the tall chimneys and at the back are the multi levels of the attics(?) or whatever those rooms were used for.
20230111220117_08.jpg

Moving down New Street and we have the wonderful frontage of Piccadilly Arcade with the symmetry and shape of all the windows and the frontage too. I like the simple wording telling you where it is. The buildings to the left are also interesting with 5 floors above ground level.

20230111220117_09.jpg

First time for a while - Posting Roll 69, these are mainly City Centre around the council house when the area fronting was been redeveloped: First picture if of Christchurch Passage down from Waterloo Street. Taken 28th June 1992.
View attachment 182532
It's amazing that all around Christchurch Passage there's been numerous redevelopment yet it still survives ! Imagine the numbers of Colmore Row and Waterloo Street office workers who've, over the years, used that as a cut-through to New Street. Viv.

I dont think we have moved from the location of the previous picture but are looking further down New Street towards the Midland Hotel. If you view above ground floor level the image could be timeless ( seem to be fixated on "above ground floor " today) But I don't recall Days Corner and I worked in the city centre - how did that happen - especially as it is just up from Hudsons.

20230111220117_10.jpg

We have now turned the corner and walked up Bennetts Hill to what used to be the National Westminster Bank and from the pediment what was the National Provincial Bank. There are a host of carvings all over this building and handrails and gates I also like the lamp in Waterloo Street.
20230111220117_11.jpg

I dont think we have moved from the location of the previous picture but are looking further down New Street towards the Midland Hotel. If you view above ground floor level the image could be timeless ( seem to be fixated on "above ground floor " today) But I don't recall Days Corner and I worked in the city centre - how did that happen - especially as it is just up from Hudsons.

View attachment 182538

Days Corner must have come into use from the fact that it was Days Shoe shop on that corner. Not an official location, probably a Days invention. Viv.

We continue our walk heading back down Waterloo Street to the council House. A nice row of offices on the right with Waterloo Court with its columns first in line. Like the lamps on the road ( both sides). Next property along has a row of wreaths below the eaves.

20230111220350_02.jpg

Finishing back where we started but at the top of Christchurch passage and we have an overview of all the work going on to redevelop the front of the council house. In the distance going down New street are a variety of shop including the Spud U Like !
20230111220350_04.jpg

Back