• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
some time ago my brother was given a load of negatives..some of the photos were taken by the person who gave them to him and some give no locations.. some are photos taken of photos which we may have seen before so a bit of a mixed bag..not knowing what to do with them our member steve kindly offered to take them away and see what was on the negatives..he is now almost ready to start posting some of them on the forum and who knows folks there maybe some little gems hidden there..i will lock this thread until steve gives me the heads up to re open it so that he can make a start...

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks to Lyn for opening the post and allowing me the chance to scan the negatives . I am only going to post one picture tonight as I am still trying to work out the numbering system and tidy images.

This is the Duke of Wellington 355 Monument Road / Leach Street taken on the 4th April 1959, and gives an idea of what the pictures look like - the description is all I have on a type written sheet. Comments and information as usual thanks. Thanks to RobT for the correction.
20230108093623_07.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to Lyn for opening the post and allowing me the chance to scan the negatives . I am only going to post one picture tonight as I am still trying to work out the numbering system and tidy images.

This is the Duke of Wellington Monument Street / Leach Street taken on the 4th April 1959, and gives an idea of what the pictures look like - the description is all I have on a type written sheet. Comments and information as usual thanks
View attachment 178738
SteveBhx, It's 355 Monument Road not street, RobT

This photo appears in the Monument Road thread. It is in post no. 2.

(Sheet A52) As you will know and I will repeat often the details for these pictures are taken from a typewritten sheet, what I post is all I have - if there is no year I dont have one, and any errors I am happy to correct ( Thanks Rob). I am still trying to work out the best way to keep track of what has been posted, over 100 folders with 36 images in each !!
This an Outdoor standing in Peel Street .

20230109210541_01.jpg

Last edited:
This seems to be the same as this photo , which slightly expands information , saying it was closed for trading outside permitted hours 4.12.1955. The 1956 Kellys lists what must be the last trader, Mrs Ellen Blanche McCaughlin

View attachment 178772
Thanks for that information, do you know the source of this photo? These have the same titles on some however the photo, of the photo is often cropped so not all the information was shown if at all.

Thanks for that information, do you know the source of this photo? These have the same titles on some however the photo, of the photo is often cropped so not all the information was shown if at all.
hi steve i think i may have posted these outdoor photos some years ago..think my brothers friend may have taken photos of photos on these ones printed them off and gave some to me which i scanned and posted on the forum

lyn

Outdoor 97 Scholefield Street Nechells 19/7/55 note John Taroni next door (File A52 / 6)

View attachment 178771
This looks like a pub rather than an off licence. Indeed in the 1915 Kellys it is the Freeholders Arms. However in 1915 the brewery asked for the licence to be moved to another site

Birm mail. 7.3.1919.jpg

and in 1920 it applied for the offlicence from another site to be transferred to the site

Birm post 6.3.1920.jpg

Thanks for that information both I am working through the negatives sheet by sheet, there is not one theme on each sheet as you will see any suggestions on postings will be appreciated,

Thanks for that information both I am working through the negatives sheet by sheet, there is not one theme on each sheet as you will see any suggestions on postings will be appreciated,
thanks for your efforts steve..as i said these photos are a mixed bag however i think worth posting...the photos taken by my brothers friend would be from the 70s onwards so who knows what may turn up

lyn

Now this picture was a surprise to me - having often stood on the end of the platform at New Street, (this end was where the electric locos uncoupled there was a small siding in front of the signal box, but usually at the other end watching for locos climbing the hill up to the station) I never knew the car park was a spotting location now known as the Town hall car park this is on Brunel Street. Taken when electric locos existed in the Inter City swallow livery.

20230108092844_04.jpg

This view has long gone - any one know when? The footbridge that stretched the whole width of Suffolk Street Queensway, great view and another that has changed dramatically. Buildings now block the view to Alpha Tower , the view ahead has also changed

20230108092844_06.jpg

thanks steve..the last 6 photos you have posted look to be taken by my brothers friend..looks about the right era when he was out and about with his camera...cheers

lyn

Going to the front of Alpha Tower, ATV / Central studios to the left the buildings to the left of Alpha Tower I watched been demolished when working on the 9th floor of Alpha Tower. also note the gap to the left of Baskerville House - I worked in there too, where the new library now stands

20230108092844_10.jpg

thanks steve..the last 6 photos you have posted look to be taken by my brothers friend..looks about the right era when he was out and about with his camera...cheers

lyn
No problem - I thought I would post a few "modern " ones rather than pubs all the time ;),

From Broad street we go under Broad Street Tunnel ,20230108093357_02.jpg
and come to the site of the construction of the Convention centre. A rather dramatic image that showed what had to be done to create the bustling heart that it now is. Broad Street to the right with steps down , the various " boxes" under construction for the various convention and exhibition spaces that were then wrapped around with the convention centre building.
20230108093357_03.jpg

Finally, this, I assume is part of the ICC / Arena redevelopment - but what and where are we looking? As with all I have posted tonight they are on a negative sheet which the information sheet says 1-4, city views, well we have had more than that and no other information is provided. Over to you - and a plan?

20230108093357_04.jpg

Now we have the route worked out - down Pinfold Street etc we are now on Broad Street looking back towards the Old Library, apart from the Copthorne Hotel everything to the right has now gone.

View attachment 178799
this is why the photos taken by my brothers friend are so important to see steve...his photos probably date from the 70s onwards and if you had not taken up the task of taking them off the negatives would most likely have ended up in the skip

lyn

Back