• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

We have now moved into Chester Street and the premises of GW Peak and Sons, I wonder what they produced?. Interesting building with a small circular window, 10 windows on thew first floor and the delivery door as well as a main entrance with a door in it.
View attachment 179422
I think it was GW Pearce & Sons, think some lettering may have fallen off. They made metal kitchen wares, pots and pans etc

To finish off roll 67 we have a few picture from Sheepcote Street, Page the printer next door to this lovely symmetrical building.

View attachment 179477
This building and the far one still exist in sheepcote street. These are now residential buildings.
images

I think it was GW Pearce & Sons, think some lettering may have fallen off. They made metal kitchen wares, pots and pans etc
Yes it was, i knew a lad that worked there, and have been on the premise's myself changing cutting wheels, with my gaffer at that time, 1971 if i remember correctly.
Pearce's were metal spinner's primarily.
And i often walked home to Hubert street from St Mary's in Whitehouse Street up Chester St, as opposed to walking along Aston Rd when even younger.
Loved the Chester St picture's, the glass on top of the wall to deter people climbing over was quite poignant memory, as i mentioned this practise to my son, many years ago, and he was like, really?, as he had seen or heard of it.
And i have clambered over the coal yard gates a number of times for football retrieval purposes only of course.

Can I refer back to #386, firstly to apologies for my lack of knowledge of what roads went where, My only knowledge of the A45 was the Coventry Road out to the airport and had no idea it ended in Aston.
Secondly for the additional picture extracts and maps and gentle way you pointed out my error!!
Loads of additional information thanks to you all.

Following on the same roll we now move to Broad Street, I know I have posted an image of this location but more of the Antiques shop, this show both the shop and the church - taken in 1973 and both now long gone. Was anything of the church saved ? it seems from this angle there were plenty of carving and glasswork that would seem a shame to jump consign to a skip.

20230123203756_01.jpg

This next image is of the Waverley Hotel Dale End, another location much changed , I can see the sign for the Top Rank Suite further down Dale End but of greater interest is the Carpet shop does such a thing exist in the city centre these days? Seems a shame all this was removed for the concrete of today
20230123203756_03.jpg

23rd March 1967 is when this photo was taken and my information says it is the old West End Suffolk Street, I can see that is called the West End Ballroom, I assume is was always a dance location? Just one figure walking up the street I imagine it was a lot busier Saturday nights!

View attachment 180130
There was both a ballroom and a cinema there. I went to a Saturday afternoon dance (soul music) at the West End, around 1965 I guess, it was a proper ballroom with a sprung floor.
I think the buildings were demolished shortly after the photograph was taken.

23rd March 1967 is when this photo was taken and my information says it is the old West End Suffolk Street, I can see that is called the West End Ballroom, I assume is was always a dance location? Just one figure walking up the street I imagine it was a lot busier Saturday nights!

View attachment 180130
For some reason unknown to me we all went from school to the cinema there in the 60’s to see South Pacific . The cinema was full of school kids.

This next image is of the Waverley Hotel Dale End, another location much changed , I can see the sign for the Top Rank Suite further down Dale End but of greater interest is the Carpet shop does such a thing exist in the city centre these days? Seems a shame all this was removed for the concrete of today
View attachment 180131
Is the carpet shop at the top of the street where the Beehive was?

Still in Great Hampton Street but on the corner of Great King Street, we have this lovely row of shops with the Tailors on the corner , love the dome and again all the buildings are so characterful. Nice selection of cars too and a van on the right. I note there are words underneath the dome any offers?
20230123203756_06.jpg

Still in Great Hampton Street but on the corner of Great King Street, we have this lovely row of shops with the Tailors on the corner , love the dome and again all the buildings are so characterful. Nice selection of cars too and a van on the right. I note there are words underneath the dome any offers?
View attachment 180134
The corner shop is an interesting building. It is purpose built where as the rest of the shops look like conversions. Is Tailors the name of the shop or the type of business?

View attachment 180134

That far up it is Hockley hill, not Gt Hampton St. the corner shop is no 163 and in 1956 Kellys is Davis Barnhard, taylor

View attachment 180134
no wonder i dont seem to recognise that line of shops from the gt king st corner acutally i think it should be hockley hill corner..i think they must have been demolished before i started working in vyse st.. on the right you can just see the curved pavement of what is key hill..below is todays st view well almost as i think hockley hill was widened so the start of gt king st would have been roughly in the middle of the duel carriageway...i think this is the first photo i have seen of this line of buildings

lyn

Last edited:
Staying in Hockley we now have a view down Great Hampton Street in 1951. There is so much to enjoy from this picture from the bicycle propped against the window and the cars to the shop fronts and the architecture above street level.
View attachment 180133
I can tell you that the car outside the M&B is a Morris Eight Series E c.1939

Yes, Beehive was down Albert St, which is to left of carpet shop, New Meeting St to it's right.
The bus terminus for the 53&54 buses used to be down Albert St. On the first floor above the carpet shop there was a ’coffee bar’ in the 60’s. I think the concrete building to the right of Stylos is on the site of the old News Theatre.

no wonder i dont seem to recognise that line of shops from the gt king st corner acutally i think it should be hockley hill corner..i think they must have been demolished before i started working in vyse st.. on the right you can just see the curved pavement of what is key hill..below is todays st view well almost as i think hockley hill was widened so the start of gt king st would have been roughly in the middle of the duel carriageway...i think this is the first photo i have seen of this line of buildings

lyn

Is it Swallow Raincoats building?

Is it Swallow Raincoats building?
hi carolina...the large building in the distance on the left of the photo is the swallow raincoats building and is still there at the corner of well st and gt hampton st..the building on the other corner of well st and gt hampton st that we can see would be the old bank which is also still there but everything else in the photo went a long time ago st view below...lyn

Staying in Hockley we now have a view down Great Hampton Street in 1951. There is so much to enjoy from this picture from the bicycle propped against the window and the cars to the shop fronts and the architecture above street level.
View attachment 180133
Most of what we see in this view was still standing in 2022 ! Looks like the exterior of the Gothic (far right) was being cleaned up in 2022.Viv.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230507_070141_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507_070141_Maps.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20230507_070156_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507_070156_Maps.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back