• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street City Centre Birmingham

I thought the section nearest High Street was damaged during WW2 and the section with scaffolding was demolished (if so it must have been demolished around the time of the photo). But could be wrong on this. Viv.

I thought the section nearest High Street was damaged during WW2 and the section with scaffolding was demolished (if so it must have been demolished around the time of the photo). But could be wrong on this. Viv.
A couple of John Ball's pictures from early 1960's from the other direction.

Attachments

• Screenshot (58).png
    Screenshot (58).png
    672.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot (57).png
    Screenshot (57).png
    452.4 KB · Views: 30
Here we have a very lively New Street scene from Charles Radclyffe's Birmingham 1840. KE Grammar School to the left and Christ Church spire in the distance. No right turn for Corporation Street as it had yet to be cut through.

School boys in mortar boards dotted about, two buying - possibly pies or buns (?) - from the lady to the left. One lad walking along reading a book or paper. Cabs for hire in the middle of the street. A crouched lady selling something or possibly begging, but she's managed to get the attention of a passer-by. What a busy scene. Viv

Screenshot_20230627_184813_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Here we have a very lively New Street scene from Charles Radclyffe's Birmingham 1840. KE Grammar School to the left and Christ Church spire in the distance. No right turn for Corporation Street as it had yet to be cut through.

School boys in mortar boards dotted about, two buying - possibly pies or buns (?) - from the lady to the left. One lad walking along reading a book or paper. Cabs for hire in the middle of the street. A crouched lady selling something or possibly begging, but she's managed to get the attention of a passer-by. What a busy scene. Viv

View attachment 181339
Does anyone know anything about the source of this document? Is 'Charles Radclyffe, Birmingham, 1840' its title and publishing date?

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about the source of this document? Is 'Charles Radclyffe, Birmingham, 1840' its title and publishing date?
Possibly commissioned for the Rev Lee of KE Grammar School but not sure. The book of views is for sale on eBay for £300 - so pretty rare. See below. Viv.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230628_143933_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628_143933_Chrome.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230628_143944_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628_143944_Chrome.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230628_144402_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628_144402_Chrome.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
19th Century New Street at, what I think would be the junction with High Street. I think the building to the left of the first image is the same building as the building to the right in the second attached image (1840). (Although the balcony looks more rounded than the 1840 image). Would this be where the Rotunda is today ? Viv

Screenshot_20230629_190308_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20230701_080216_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Lots to see in this view looking towards High Street. The edge of the Exchange Building to the right and KE Grammar School further along with a line of buses nearby. A nice row of street lamps along the left-hand side. And a man in a suit outside a first floor window on the left !

Maybe someone can date this by the vehicles.

Viv.

Screenshot_20230702_075324_Yahoo Mail.jpg

You may not normally notice this building near the top end of New Street. It has a few nice details giving clues to its age, including one of the original doors. Even the top floor balconies have survived. It was built on the site of the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists building. The drawing below is from 1913. Today, the word "Medicine" can be seen over one entrance. The building has the name New Street Chambers. Viv

Screenshot_20230708_182938_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230709_063225_Maps.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230709_063256_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230709_063256_Maps.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230709_063309_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230709_063309_Maps.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The RBSA still occupied a couple of rooms in the building for some time, I have been inside to a few of their shows - this was probably in the 80's - nice rooms.
I think they are in a building in the Jewellery Quarter now.

This brave scaffolder seems to be very much at home towering above New Street in 1954. There's the Exchange Building across the road to his left, with the view behind him up towards the Town Hall. Wonder what building he was working on ? Marshall and Snelgrove - or had that gone by 1954 ? Viv.

Screenshot_20231025_210856_Chrome.jpg

This brave scaffolder seems to be very much at home towering above New Street in 1954. There's the Exchange Building across the road to his left, with the view behind him up towards the Town Hall. Wonder what building he was working on ? Marshall and Snelgrove - or had that gone by 1954 ? Viv.

View attachment 185440
I would guess,Marshall & Snelgrove

ArchitectNorth, Robin & Wilson
Date Built1938 but not finished until 1956
LocationNew Street
Description
Built as a department store for Marshall and Snelgrove. Converted in 1970, by the architectural practice of Ted Levy, Benjamin and Partners, into a hotel. The conversion included the addition of a mansard roof. In 2011 there are retail outlets at street level. An O2 branch sits in the location of the former Marshall and Snelgrove entrance. The Britannia Hotel, offering 214 bedrooms, occupies the upper floors. Its entrance is on the side down an alleyway.

Source: https://manchesterhistory.net/archi...a department store,addition of a mansard roof.

Last edited:
I can't place where this was on New Street. (The late Phil posted this on the other Birmingham history forum site). I remember the one in High Street. Maybe it moved to High Street,. Photo might be around 1950s.

Screenshot_20231030_055403_Chrome.jpg

That building is King Edward House. I recognised it by the Midland Red bus shelter and then checked the windows on the first floor. I remember Littlewoods on the Big Top site as a good place to have lunch.

That's the one I remember Janet. It must have moved from New Street by 1948 then. Thanks. Viv
By 1969 that area had been rebuilt and this is the Littlewoods store I remember. which is basically where boots is now, Chelsea girl used to be on the corner where Burger king is. It is the same building structure from the 1969 picture

Attachments

• littlewoods.jpg
    littlewoods.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 19
An very busy scene looking down New Street from Victoria Square (I think). To the left (level with the first bus) would have been Rowans, alongside which would have been Christ Church Passage. The building to the immediate left would have been the Galloways building. No date for this one, but it would be post -1930s.

Screenshot_20231113_203759_Chrome.jpg

thats a great shot of new st viv....a thriving busy full of great architectural buildings...it would sadden me to post a todays view

lyn

I think it's a view that holds up fairly well, Lyn. The buildings down to Christ Church passage have gone but the remainder are a lot cleaner at least...

sorry mark i cant connect your view to the old view...need more convincing that todays view hold up well with viv older photo but then i always do lol

lyn

Last edited:
sorry mark i cant connect your view to the old view...need more convincing that todays view hold up well with viv older photo but then i always do lol

lyn
Lyn, If you look at the building level with the back of the Sandon Road bus, you will see that the corner is cut away and that is the first building on the left in the present day photo. The buildings on the right are also unchanged except for the ground floor shop fronts..

Yes, there's a lot of interesting buildings at this part of New Street. I see Rowans is now a Nandos but most of the late 1920s shop cladding has been retained. It looks very modern but dates back nearly 100 years ! Pity they didn't keep the original windows. A shop design at the forefront in the 1920s. Also we tend not to see beyond the ground floor (often quite ugly or characterless) shop front. You just need to look up above them to discover a wealth of interesting architecture of different styles and different periods.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231115_192214_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20231115_192214_Maps.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20231115_192236_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231115_192236_Samsung Internet.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back