• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street City Centre Birmingham

Just noticed there’s a pedestrian crossing in the photo #420. The pedestrian underpasses can’t have been developed at this point, including the outside escalator next to Lloyd’s Bank (underneath the Rotunda building). Viv.

A common view of New Street c1905. But this postcard was produced by Lewis’s of Bull Street. They must have had printing interests. Viv.

View attachment 174433
There were at least two other Lewis's involved in making and selling street scene photos in Birmingham: the photographer's George Lewis and the unrelated Thomas Lewis. However, I've not seen any evidence that either ever worked out of Bull Street.

Oh of course, I’d forgotten about the Lewis photographers. It would most certainly have been them and not the retailers. Thanks. Viv.

Not sure of the date, possibly 1920s/30s. I’m sure someone will know from the vehicles. Bennett’s Hill is to the left. Viv.

CF854589-0AFA-4212-8223-82D6ADCFEB06.jpeg.

Attachments

• 69C786E9-DE25-4645-AC19-92C0CDE0F4B8.jpeg
    69C786E9-DE25-4645-AC19-92C0CDE0F4B8.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 20
[Amended the picture was in fact Dudley Street, Wolverhampton c 1900. The front piece is New Street c1890 and added.]

New Street c1890. Cover of West Midlands : a pocket album by Hardy, Clive (2003)

897D1863-A5B4-402A-8825-AD68F5C99378.jpeg

Dudley Street, Wolverhampton (below)

7E02764A-1E27-4F9B-84DA-52821E81BDA3.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s an unusually large sign sticking out of the second building on the right. Can’t read the inscription. Great photo Pedro, features being enhanced by the colouring I think. Viv.

Last edited:
Fiddled with it, sign seems to say Freeman Hardy & Willis. the 1890 and 1892 Kellys do not lists the firm in New St. Only in Bull ring, Smallbrook St, and Great Westerb arcade. so perhaps the date is a bit off

new st.1890A.jpeg

This may have been posted before, but this has been coloured and used as the front cover.

New Street c1890. Cover of West Midlands : a pocket album by Hardy, Clive (2003)

View attachment 175754
This doesn't look like Birmingham. There was only one Hyam's & Co store in Birmingham in the late 19th / early 20th century and that was in New Street opposite King Edwards School. This is not a photo of that store. Perhaps it is a photo of one of the others Hyam's stores, outside of Birmingham.

Hyam's did have a branch in 40-41 Dudley Street, Wolverhampton.
(Sources:
1. lookandlearn.com website entry for Messrs Hyam & Co. 'Illustration for 'Progress and Commerce',1893.
2. British Newspaper Archive, Leeds Mercury, Sat 28 Feb 1925 which refers to the closure and sale of the Wolverhampton & Birmingham Hyam's stores).

Last edited:
This doesn't look like Birmingham. There was only one Hyam's & Co store in Birmingham in the late 19th / early 20th century and that was in New Street opposite King Edwards School. This is not a photo of that store. Perhaps it is a photo of one of the others Hyam's stores, outside of Birmingham.

Hyam's did have a branch in Wolverhampton (source: British Newspaper Archive, Leeds Mercury, Sat 28 Feb 1925 which refers to the closure and sale of the Wolverhampton & Birmingham Hyam's stores).
You are right. Misread Front Piece for Front Cover. Will change.

Hyam's did have a branch in 40-41 Dudley Street, Wolverhampton.
(Sources:
1. lookandlearn.com website entry for Messrs Hyam & Co. 'Illustration for 'Progress and Commerce',1893.
2. British Newspaper Archive, Leeds Mercury, Sat 28 Feb 1925 which refers to the closure and sale of the Wolverhampton & Birmingham Hyam's stores).
Google search on Dudley Street, Wolverhampton returns this photo dated c1900, © Francis Frith

Fiddled with it, sign seems to say Freeman Hardy & Willis. the 1890 and 1892 Kellys do not lists the firm in New St. Only in Bull ring, Smallbrook St, and Great Westerb arcade. so perhaps the date is a bit off

View attachment 175756
That flag further up on the right above Cowin (which I had thought was just a derogatory Black Country term:grinning:), at first I had thought it was Ketchup and now it looks like Watches. Great photograph, in any case. I love the chap with the cap (centre right), he looks very purposeful doesn't he?

A view showing the Waterloo Bar (right) on New Street, alongside Christchurch Passage. By 1927 the Waterloo Bar site would have been developed for Rowans Ltd, a clothing outfitters store.

And a glimpse of Pattison’s confectioners to the extreme right at #68. Viv.

View attachment 173921
Rowans , New Street 1927,

Attachments

• 386D0F7E-4694-4BF1-A359-0E1547C47E67.jpeg
    386D0F7E-4694-4BF1-A359-0E1547C47E67.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 29
We see many New Street photos like this one, but each one adds some little detail that gives the street interest. This time I'm intrigued by the delivery van on the right. It seems to have shelving. Is it a bread or cake delivery van ? I wondered if the awning says 'Pattisons', but can't be sure. If it was then maybe the van was delivering cakes/confectionary etc to Pattisons. Think the photo might be 1920s/30. Viv.

Screenshot_20230410_093123_Chrome.jpg

This is a view of New Street from its junction with Worcester Street looking towards the junction with Corporation Street.

There was a Pattinson's at No.7 New Street which would be on the right of New Street. So this might be a Pattison's delivery.

We see many New Street photos like this one, but each one adds some little detail that gives the street interest. This time I'm intrigued by the delivery van on the right. It seems to have shelving. Is it a bread or cake delivery van ? I wondered if the awning says 'Pattisons', but can't be sure. If it was then maybe the van was delivering cakes/confectionary etc to Pattisons. Think the photo might be 1920s/30. Viv.

View attachment 179475
What a Grand Town Birmingham was!

Hi Richard,

Wasn't it just!

Although I was born in Suffolk, I spent 67 years in Birmingham, and
loved it as it was in the 50's and 60's. I now live back in East Anglia,
and often think of those happy days spent there.

At least, I still remember it as it was, - memories remain for ever, but
nothing escapes change!

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Richard,

Wasn't it just!

Although I was born in Suffolk, I spent 67 years in Birmingham, and
loved it as it was in the 50's and 60's. I now live back in East Anglia,
and often think of those happy days spent there.

At least, I still remember it as it was, - memories remain for ever, but
nothing escapes change!

Kind regards
Dave
Yes, change is inevitable, if only we could keep those wonderful times in a bottle to have forever! But we do have those memories……

I think this must be a 1950s view (a glimpse of the Theatre Royal awning to the left - demolished by 1956). Viv.
View attachment 180434
Goodness, did not realize that it was demolished in 1956! I went there a half dozen times, I think for pantomimes with my mother. They were a good day out. Getting on the 29 at Snow Hill to Handsworth, late at night (at least for me). Sometimes I got baked potatoes or hot chestnuts before the bus came.

A lot of street furniture on display in this view. Simple road signs and a couple of single traffic lights (or were these for pedestrians crossing ?). Marshall and Snelgrove building looks very clean. It looks to me like late 1950s/early 1960s (but definitely no later than 1965 as the Exchange Building is still there - right).

Viv.

Screenshot_20230604_185826_Chrome.jpg

A lot of street furniture on display in this view. Simple road signs and a couple of single traffic lights (or were these for pedestrians crossing ?). Marshall and Snelgrove building looks very clean. It looks to me like late 1950s/early 1960s (but definitely no later than 1965 as the Exchange Building is still there - right).

Viv.

View attachment 180860
This photo is by Ben Brooksbank and was taken in 1957 looking down New Street from its junction with Stephenson Place.

In the distance you can make out what looks like the scaffolding on the front of the old Hyam's building, prior to its demolition.

(Source geograph.org.uk)

(Usage rights: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/)

Last edited:

Viv.

View attachment 180860
Burton Tailors, went there many times!

This photo is by Ben Brooksbank and was taken in 1957 looking down New Street from its junction with Stephenson Place.

In the distance you can make out what looks like the scaffolding on the front of the old Hyam's building, prior to its demolition.

(Source geography.org.uk)

(Usage rights: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/)
I thought the scaffold was around the then new "big top" site?

Back