• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mother and Baby home Moseley

Hi
Try your local adoption council and exlpain to them. I am informed that the home's records were lost and or given to other homes and hospitals but I found mine after much trial ringing all these homes etc at my adoption council. They should have been sent there to whever your adopted parents lives and which court handles the adoption. If that makes sense.
Nico

Hi There,
I was born at The Grange , 42 Park Hill Moseley in 1963. Since, naturally, I was illegitemate, all the details have kind of been drip fed to me over the years. From putting the pieces together, I understood that my birth mother got 'caught' ran away, then was brought back to Birmingham to face up to her responsibilities. I was raised in the family by two great aunts and my great gran and my 'mother' was there in the background but having a fairly single life. I knew nothing of my origins until I was 16.Sounds incredible, but its true! Lorna, my birth mother told me the type of place I was born in and wove a story about how the place was run by Catholic nuns who were judgemental and cruel to the young unwed mothers there. She also told me that she had to perform chores until the birth of me. Sounded awful, especially hearing it for the first time at that age. She said that the babies there were up for adoption and went on to describe another pretty harsh scenario when that process took place. I have no idea how much of it was true and how much was fantasy, although any truth I could discover from someone who had been there in whatever capacity at the time would be most welcome. The story goes that my blood family decided to keep me which is how I came to be raised largely by my wonderful aunt. She gave me a fabulous chance in life and I buried her just a couple of years ago. Despite this one always hankers after more, strange eh? Going through Auntie's things, I found a 1963 diary and written in a sort of code was the address of The Grange, 42, Park Hill. It was quite a moving experience. She had written down the numbers and times of the three buses she had to catch from Dudley to visit. Its how I discovered the place. Whats even more poignant is that the first photograph of me is of Auntie holding me as a newborn baby. Clearly, that was taken in The Grange. When I located the place and pulled-up outside (who knows why?), I had the oddest feeling that I had been taken there as a small child. I am pretty certain.
So, I guess thats my story and what I would really appreciate is contact from anyone who could shed some more light on any of the above- was it a cruel and harsh place? Was it run by Catholic nuns? Would there have ben any reason to take me back there, possibly to show how secure and settled I had become- my birth mother took me, I am certain.Any information would be gratefully recieved. All the best, Nigel.
Snap, Nigel. You should hopefully get your own records from where the, area court which predcided on your adoption where your parents were living. They should hold somthing. My BM hated Miss Helmuth but the nurses and sister were lovely. It was Anglican. It was called Lahai Roi before ot as the Grange. Miss Helmuth named it. Her Heart was in the right place I am sure but she was very pious and judgemental with Victorian values. Why don't you join up to the forum I would feel more comfortable talking to you that way on a private message. Any rode up, Lahai Roi comes from the bible and it means tears of the living well. A woman was cast out in to the desert after being raped and pregnant with another man's child. She was found by a prophet who claimed that her tears should form a well which should never dry up to reminf the world that it was she who was to blame. For her (so called) Sin. Even the bible was pious. I liked the sound of that though.
Good luck with your search.
Nico

I started this thread back in 2007 when a friend asked me if I could help her mother inlaw who lives in Birmingham.
I was reminded of it when I got a PM from Nico, thanks Nico.
Without finding the records and because the mothers name was unusual I was able to find the birth family,
I advised the lady to go slowly as the siblings may not know of their mothers past.
The birth mother had sadly died but she had told her children that she had given birth to a daughter, fathered by an American serviceman
and had her adopted, so they were aware she existed.
The siblings were eager to meet her which they did in a pub near Coventry ,where the family all lived,they got on well with her but in the end
the lady thought they had nothing in common coming from 2 different backgrounds so didn't meet up with them again.

I started this thread back in 2007 when a friend asked me if I could help her mother inlaw who lives in Birmingham.
I was reminded of it when I got a PM from Nico, thanks Nico.
Without finding the records and because the mothers name was unusual I was able to find the birth family,
I advised the lady to go slowly as the siblings may not know of their mothers past.
The birth mother had sadly died but she had told her children that she had given birth to a daughter, fathered by an American serviceman
and had her adopted, so they were aware she existed.
The siblings were eager to meet her which they did in a pub near Coventry ,where the family all lived,they got on well with her but in the end
the lady thought they had nothing in common coming from 2 different backgrounds so didn't meet up with them again.
Didn't realise the post was so old Alberta. I came across it whilst looking on Google and the link took me to the BHF site surprisingly.
Yes you have to go carefully as you could alienate everybody. I keep bumping in to people in the same boat as I was. I think it is more like an Ark! Norcap were very helpful to me as were the books by John Pickersgill - Looking for the Real Me, and Blue Eyed Son by Nicky Campbell, anyone affected by adoption from whatever angle can find solace in these.
Best Wishes
Nico

I was born in Moseley in 1952 (possibly the Sorrento Maternity Home) and adopted through the Church Of England. I vividly remember Sister Hellmuth coming to visit and my mother (adopted) always helping me to tidy up my toys.

Hi i know this is a thread dated 4 years ago..but wondered if you had found any info re..lahai - roi. mother and baby home. The home was not roman catholic.. it was run by Angican nuns.. and miss winifred hellmuth is stated on my adoption papers to identify me at court for my adoption.... there is a book at Birmingham City Archives Library written by her about the home... but im struggling to find any other information about the home and its records... they seem to have been distroyed.

Has anyone seen the book written by Miss Winifred Hellmuth that is in the Birmingham Library Archived. She also wrote her autobiograph, but i cant find that.!.. im going to see if i can upload some pics of the pages i photocopied at the library of her book
I have got some info on the home I was there in 57. Nico

I was born in Moseley in 1952 (possibly the Sorrento Maternity Home) and adopted through the Church Of England. I vividly remember Sister Hellmuth coming to visit and my mother (adopted) always helping me to tidy up my toys.
I wonder does anyone remember a Miss Young or a Miss Green in Miss Helmuth's time.Propbably nurses. Mrs Yaxley wife of the vicar of St Anne's may have been a friend of theirs as she upbraided the congregation for looking down on the so callefd fallen women, of the Lahai Roi.
My sister was born in Sorrento as was Carl Chinn off the radio. Are there any Raddlebarn babies out there? Nico:sneakiness:

I don't know if I am doing all this right ! I have recently found out I have a half brother on my Mothers side who was born in this Mother and baby home does anyone know what I can do to try and find him ? All my immediate family have long passed away so no one to ask any details, skeletons in the cupboard and all that !!!!

The only details I have is

Born 22.1.1947
Boy - Named Stephanie Butter (adopted)
Mother - Marjorie Butter

I am so desperate to find my half brother please if you can give me any guidance get in touch

Thank you, Jane

I was born there on 21 April 1952 and adopted via, I was led to believe, the Church of England - they may hold some records re your brother. Best of luck Reggie x

hello jane..can i suggest that you contact birmingham social services...if your half brother was adopted and they dealt with it then they will most definately have his records still on file and will act as as go between to link you up should he wish that to happen... which could take some time...i know this from personal experience within my family...at least its a starting point for you and good luck...

lyn

I don't know if I am doing all this right ! I have recently found out I have a half brother on my Mothers side who was born in this Mother and baby home does anyone know what I can do to try and find him ? All my immediate family have long passed away so no one to ask any details, skeletons in the cupboard and all that !!!!

Born 22.1.1947
Mother - Marjorie Butter

I am so desperate to find my half brother please if you can give me any guidance get in touch

Thank you, Jane
Hello Jane,
Your local adoption service should be able to help you or the local social services. If the child's mother or her family are still about you might be gain information. When a birth certificate says adopted, the child will have either been legally adopted by its new parents or legally adopted by the man who becomes the husband of the child's mother should she subsequently marry.
Best Wishes
Nico

I came upon the Birth Adoption Register recently trying to help a friend and some of my own still unanswered questions. ukbirth-adoption register.com Also Norcap who helped me in my search should be able to guide you. Best Wishes, Nico.

Born 22.1.1947
Mother - Marjorie Butter

Thank you, Jane

Wouldn't Stephanie be a Girl as opposed to a boy ?

I was born at lahai-roi in October 1953.

I have an adoption certificate with my adopted parents names and my adopted name, but also managed to get a copy of my original birth certificate, stating my birth mum was a 16 yr old unmarried mum, Jessie Fairbrother, from Leicester.

Adopted at 3 months old, all the paperwork is signed by Miss W Hellmuth

My birth mum would be 76/77 now, so its possible she could still be living.
When my adoptive parents died I did go thru a phase of loneliness and thought about looking for my birth mum (which is why I have copies of my adoption papers,) but after a couple of months I realised finding her could open a can of worms that neither of us really want opening.

The biggest problem I have is when seeing doctors; their first question is often, "is there a history of heart problems in the family" to which can only reply, "I have no idea".
It would be nice if there is a way of finding out a health history without going thru the full birth mother search.

Ian Sinclair

hello ian and welcome...it must have been very difficult for your birth mom...at the age of just 16 so very young...only you can decide if to search for her but on the subject of finding out about the health history i can only suggest that you contact the health authorities in leicester giving them the information that you have as they maybe able to help and advise...

all the best in whatever you decide to do

lyn

I don't think you will be able to get get any info of your birth families health issues as this will be data protected as I believe that, looking at records ,your mother later married and she is still living.

We cannot discuss this any more on this thread as we do not give out information about living persons.

I have tried to send you a private message but your profile does not allow messages, you can go to your profile and alter this.. Alberta

Last edited:
I don't know if this topic is closed but you can try the UK Birth Adoption Register, or Gro Gov maybe you can pass this on Alberta. Norcap will definitely be abe to advise what is best. I have some pamphlets of the Lahoi Roi and Winifred helmuth too but I won't be around for a while. My can of worms is very intersting that I opened. Best Wishes. Nico

Hi Astoness,
Thank you for your reply.
I agree, whether by choice or forced upon her, it couldn't have been easy for my birth mum, especially when shipped 50 miles from home to a place with no friends and unfamiliar surroundings at such a tender age and stressful time.
Unmarried motherhood had such a stigma back in the 50's that I can fully understand why I might have been put up for adoption.

Ian

Back