• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mother and Baby home Moseley

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lahai-roi, 42 Park hill,Moseley.Opposite St. Annes church.
Was this a mother and baby home in 1940s.

Alberta,Kelly's 1949 shows 42,Park Hill as Lahai-Roi Rescue Maternity Home as a nursing home,and names a Miss W.M.Hellmuth S.R.N.,S.C.M,by 1968 (Kelly's again) it was known as Grange Rescue Maternity Home

Colin

42 Park Hall

a bit more info

Kelly’s 1940 42 Park Hall
Moseley
Miss E M Adams
Nursing home
1943 no information regarding a nursing home
1946 Birmingham and Midland
Bible College
Conference centre
The Reverend George banks
1949 Laihai Roi Rescue Nursing Home
1950 and 1956 same
1964 The Grange Rescue Home
1974 The Grange Rescue Home

Last edited:
Thank you John,Just the information I need.Now all I have to do is find out where the records for the home are kept.I suppose birmingham library might know.

Sorry ,thank you Colin also.

I am seeking information about the Nursing home for a friend,her mother in laws birth information ,in her adoption file, states that a Miss Hellmuth was the midwife who delivered her.She was the child of a young unmarried girl and was later adopted.She was interested in finding out what the place was like where she was born.
We thought it may have been Roman Catholic but unsure of that now.

Hi There,
I was born at The Grange , 42 Park Hill Moseley in 1963. Since, naturally, I was illegitemate, all the details have kind of been drip fed to me over the years. From putting the pieces together, I understood that my birth mother got 'caught' ran away, then was brought back to Birmingham to face up to her responsibilities. I was raised in the family by two great aunts and my great gran and my 'mother' was there in the background but having a fairly single life. I knew nothing of my origins until I was 16.Sounds incredible, but its true! Lorna, my birth mother told me the type of place I was born in and wove a story about how the place was run by Catholic nuns who were judgemental and cruel to the young unwed mothers there. She also told me that she had to perform chores until the birth of me. Sounded awful, especially hearing it for the first time at that age. She said that the babies there were up for adoption and went on to describe another pretty harsh scenario when that process took place. I have no idea how much of it was true and how much was fantasy, although any truth I could discover from someone who had been there in whatever capacity at the time would be most welcome. The story goes that my blood family decided to keep me which is how I came to be raised largely by my wonderful aunt. She gave me a fabulous chance in life and I buried her just a couple of years ago. Despite this one always hankers after more, strange eh? Going through Auntie's things, I found a 1963 diary and written in a sort of code was the address of The Grange, 42, Park Hill. It was quite a moving experience. She had written down the numbers and times of the three buses she had to catch from Dudley to visit. Its how I discovered the place. Whats even more poignant is that the first photograph of me is of Auntie holding me as a newborn baby. Clearly, that was taken in The Grange. When I located the place and pulled-up outside (who knows why?), I had the oddest feeling that I had been taken there as a small child. I am pretty certain.
So, I guess thats my story and what I would really appreciate is contact from anyone who could shed some more light on any of the above- was it a cruel and harsh place? Was it run by Catholic nuns? Would there have ben any reason to take me back there, possibly to show how secure and settled I had become- my birth mother took me, I am certain.Any information would be gratefully recieved. All the best, Nigel.

My understanding of this is that it was a private home for unmarried mothers that arranged private adoptions but i could be totally wrong.
A relative of mine went out with a girl in the very early 70s a few weeks after they had been going out she told him she was pregant.he knew there was no way the baby was his.To cut a long story short she went into this home and had a baby that was adopted.This was arranged by her parents i think she was about 17 or 18 at the time.
If it was a private home then i dont think the library will have recorords.
jeoffry

Hi Nigel,

I spent a lot of time at this home in the autumn of '67, and yet my memories of the place are very sketchy. My very best friend went into the home to have her baby, and he was adopted from there. He was a beautiful baby boy, with a full head of black hair, and he would be 41 now! I knitted him all sorts of things, and I think I wanted to adopt him myself. I worked in Bradford St. at the time, so took the bus to the home most nights to visit her. It was a serious time for all the girls in there, but they all supported one another, cried together and laughed together. I don't recall anyone being cruel to my friend or to any of the girls. And I'm sure I would have remembered if that had happened. I wished I could remember more. I know I have always wondered what happened to my friend's boy. Wonder if he had ever tried to find her. I wish I could lodge my information somewhere in case he did, as she emigrated to Australia.
My mom was born in 1917 and was illegitimate, and it affected her all her life. I hope that is not the same for you.

All the best Ann

Hi Ann,

Thats really interesting. An authentic source is wonderful. I am 46 now and fairly successful in all of the key areas of my life but there is always a little bit missing I guess. Its certainly not my key focus but it resurfaces from time to time. Thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate it.

Nigel.

Nigel,

I'm glad if it helped in some small way. The 'always a little bit missing', I think applied to my mom too. Her mother died in the flu epedemic, before mom was two, and so she was brought up by another family. She didn't know until she was in her teens that they were not her 'blood family'. Since her death, I have found out so much about her real family, that I wish I could share with her.
Wishing you all the best.
Ann

hi

i was born at the Grange in August 1962, interesting to here what it may have been like. i hope the version of it being a nice place is true.

i was adoted from there at 6 weeks old, i have aways thought it must have been hard to look after a baby for that time to then have to say goodbye. in my case it was a good decison, i have had a wonderful life. curious about the past but never felt like a piece has been missing.

amanda

I was born in Lah-roi mother and baby home in Feb 1963. Anyone else out there who was born in the place or adopted from it around the same time? I've read all the previous threads but I'd be interested in knowing more if you think you can help.

I was an unmarried mother in the Grange Moseley in 1965. I was only there for six weeks but I remember it well. It was a very difficult time of my life. The Matron there was great but the Cook was terrifying. We all had chores to do - light the fires, help with the meals and cook. It was very cold in the main lounge which seemed enormous and the dining room was FREEZING. I remember the staircase which was very grand and, of course, I remember the nurseries.

The ante natal mothers lived on the top floor where the servants would have lived in Victorian times - there were two dormitories - the one I was in housed six girls. Lots of memories - mostly sad, but there were some fun times to

Thanks for your reply Chris. I know this is an odd question but was there a skylight above the staircase at the very top of the house? I have a recurring dream of a big old wooden house, no carpets, with a big old mahogany-type staircase, big old banisters, and a skylight shedding a rather grim greenish light down over the stairwell. I'm 47 now and all my life, this image has interrupted pretty much every dream I have. If I didn't live so far away, I'd just knock on the door and go and have a look around. I'm sorry if this rakes up sad memories for you.. but I really appreciate your reply.

I was born in this home in 1950 and was adopted. I don't have any recollection of it but on finding my birth mother she said it was a terrible place and that they were made to do all the chores right up until the birth,and were not allowed any rest after the birth.

My first post , am seeking any help to find where my mums baby was born. She has no tangible memory of this period of her life ( sad) . Years involved 1947-48 , sent to Birmingham , she remembers the name Alton Towers, but I think that was for the benefit of her siblings. Were babies born mothers surnames on the birth certificates- or registrars. Have been told I cannot acess Newcastle upon Lyme registrars or Alton Towers so anyone knowing where to look up these. Any other unmarried mother rescue homes- have Egbaston. Is St Agnes- Rosemundy in Birmingham area. Quite dim as live in Australia - do I have a big sister or brother in England ???? Her name is Josephine.... C

hi janetsim when I applied for my original birth certificate it had my mothers surname on it i got it from st catherines house in London all adoption records from birmingham were taken there in 19970. I think they may have now moved them to Q National Archives Record Office. Alton Towers is just a theme park now.

I was an unmarried mother in the Grange Moseley in 1965. I was only there for six weeks but I remember it well. It was a very difficult time of my life. The Matron there was great but the Cook was terrifying. We all had chores to do - light the fires, help with the meals and cook. It was very cold in the main lounge which seemed enormous and the dining room was FREEZING. I remember the staircase which was very grand and, of course, I remember the nurseries.

The ante natal mothers lived on the top floor where the servants would have lived in Victorian times - there were two dormitories - the one I was in housed six girls. Lots of memories - mostly sad, but there were some fun times to
Were you there in March 1965 & if so, did you know a slim, blonde, 19 year old girl named Wendy who had a baby girl named Kay.

Hi chriswilshaw

Were you @ The Grange in March 1965 & if so, did you know a 19 year old blonde girl named Wendy who had a baby girl named Kay towards the end of March?

Back