• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lower Tower Street

My great grandpa, Henry Birch (Big Harry in A Walk Down Summer Lane) was living in 21 Court 3 140 (180?) Lower Tower Street when he married Adeline Merritt in December 1905. She was listed as a spinster but how spinster-y she was is up for debate as my great aunt Gladys was born 7 months later ;)

Hello - I've just come across this site during my research of my mother's family (Dudley) . According to the 1851 census my 3rd great grandfather - James Dudley - and his wife Ann (nee Bolton) lived at 13 Lower Tower Street and he is listed as a publican. Can anyone help me fill in anymore details ? I'd be grateful for anything to ensure I am on the right track with my maternal ancestors. Thanks. My mum was born in Ladywood, Birmingham to Daniel and Emily Dudley.

James Dudley is listed as a beer retailer in a number of directories, and these are listed below, though it should be noted that the date is publication date, and could refer to one or two years earlier than this:
1841 White Horse , Steelhouse Lane
1845, 1849, The Old Tower beerhouse at 13 Lower Tower St.
He is not listed anywhere in the 1855 edition

Me again.
Just did some map research online ... it was definitely Lower Tower Street - I remember the names of the other streets in the vicinity. Also my Mom, Ada's daughter, gave me an early address of 78 Lower Tower St but I didn't realise it was also the shop address.
I think I do remember a shop on the corner. I think there was a girl I think it was Loraine

nice map oldun and is interesting as it shows ward st and some of the new summer st houses

thanks

lyn

A small general store on the corner of lower tower st, A.Hicks prop. (my maternal grandmother)

Does it get a mention?

Thanks
Hi 2dogs, I have a mysterious great grandfather, a Henry Edward Hicks, he lived in Aston/Nechells but disappears from the records prior to 1871. Been searching for his family for 35+ years and even done several DNA tests to see if I can find his family history. He married and Alice Ames, just wondered if any of this rings a bell with you and if there were any connection. Mike

Hi 2dogs I remember the shop in Lowert Tower Street. My Grandad lived at 67, there was a pub called the Crown. I remember the shop which I remember calling it Hickies, I was quite young. I remember a girl who I thought lived there. Her name Lorrain, Povey I think.

Hi everyone, my 2nd great-grandfather (James Wakeling) and family lived at 17 Ct 6 House Lower Tower Court (1861) and my 3rd great-grandfather before that (1841) (but no house number).

hi sue have you seen the map on post 149 as it shows court 17....also there would have been no numbering of houses in 1841

lyn

My Grandparents were the publicans at the Crown in Lower Tower Street, I'm not sure of the exact dates but I believe that it would have been 1946. Their names were Lily and Victor Norcott. I will try and sort some photos out as I have quite a few of the pub.

The electoral rolls online do not listed every year, but Victor & Lily Norcott are listed at the Crown in 1945 till 1952. Not in 1939 or 1955.

hi sue and welcome....it would be great if you could post your photos of the pub as they will make a welcome edition to this thread...many thanks

lyn

hi sue and welcome....it would be great if you could post your photos of the pub as they will make a welcome edition to this thread...many thanks

lyn
Thank you for the welcome. I'll sort the photos out at the weekend. I believe that I have one of a group in front of the glass windows at the front of the pub. My Grandfather had organised a fishing trip and before they left the group posed for a picture. There may be some people that members may recognise.

Thank you for the welcome. I'll sort the photos out at the weekend. I believe that I have one of a group in front of the glass windows at the front of the pub. My Grandfather had organised a fishing trip and before they left the group posed for a picture. There may be some people that members may recognise.
Hi Sue my granddad, 1 aunt and 2 uncles lived over the road from yhe pub. They lived at 67 Lower Tower Street. They lived there untill 1963ish. Every weekend we went to see them. Me and my sister stayed every Sat. night.

Hi Sue my Granddad lived at 67 Lower Tower Street.
Hello, below is the Crown fishing club 1949 to 1950. My Grandfather Victor Norcott is in the middle behind the trophies. My Grandfather Victor and my father Stanley in front of the Crown and last photo my Dad on his bike in front of the Crown. Sue

Attachments

• D1AA70E0-0AFC-45AC-B7CB-28C98BFB14D3.jpeg
    D1AA70E0-0AFC-45AC-B7CB-28C98BFB14D3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • DA3B5547-043F-4F92-A9E9-F210FF81A6E5.jpeg
    DA3B5547-043F-4F92-A9E9-F210FF81A6E5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 5A964CF9-29F5-4991-9F79-D9C5969C3C84.jpg
    5A964CF9-29F5-4991-9F79-D9C5969C3C84.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
hi sue what wonderful photos you are so lucky to have them and so are we...i will get the first photo turned around the right way for you in due course...thank you

lyn

hi sue what wonderful photos you are so lucky to have them and so are we...i will get the first photo turned around the right way for you in due course...thank you

lyn
Hi Sue have looked at the photos they are so nice to have. I will look again. I dont know if it is just wishful thinking but I think I could make 2 of them fit my family. xx

A small general store on the corner of lower tower st, A.Hicks prop. (my maternal grandmother)

Does it get a mention?

Thanks
I remember a shop we called it Hickes it would of been between 1953ish to 1965ish. I remember a girl called Lorain, I thought she lived there.

Back