• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lower Tower Street

#93 shows Hamburgers the scrap metal dealers, I met Dick & Randolph Turpin (the boxers) there, when they collected scrap for their business in Leamington Spa. Dave.

Hi Dave .
My family lived at 64 from 1939 to about 1958 my half brothers Jim, Mick and Phill Cannon. would have known them I am sure. I think the Kalou family lived in the court back of 64. I was born in 1960 my brothers 1944, 1946 and 1947.
john

hi john would any of your family have used the crown pub in lower tower st in 1956

lyn

this is one of those photos that you hope someone will spot a rellie or even yourself...fingers crossed this is a cracker...

customers outside the crown pub lower tower st 1956

Attachments

• img967.jpg
    img967.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 96
Hi Lynn. Can I ask where you got the photograph from? The woman on the far right is my mother holding my eldest brother Jim. I have a copy of the same photograph. I always thought the pub was the Barton's Arms, but was never sure.
Regards
John.

hi john have just spent some time looking at a full on pic of the crown and i think you could be right about it not being this pub..the windows are different...i guess it could be the bartons..will go and look at the bartons arms thread to see if we can confirm this for you....i got the pic from the birmingham lives history fair yesterday it was on postcard size and on the back it says its the crown lower tower st which is quite strange as you did live there i believe.. do you know who took the photo

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
I agree it does not seem to be the Crown . Below is a photo of it . On the pillar by the door (red rectangle) all the stones go right across the pillar. In the picture in post 107 there is one place where it is divided into two blocks with a line down the middle . The bottom of the window seems to be higher (green rectangle) than in post 107, and there is just two layers of bricks below the window in post 107, whereas in the Crown ( blue rectangle) they go down to the ground.
That said, I think the pillar by the door in 107 is much narrower than that at the Barton Arms

Crown_inn__lower_tower_st_with_details_marked.jpg

and i agree with you mike it does not appear to be the bartons either....if you look at the group photo where the windows end is a run of tiles...the bartons and the crown do not have this...

john was your mom living in lower tower st in 1956 which is the date of the photo??

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn. The family were living in Lower Tower street in 1958. The photograph was given to me by my cousin. It was found in his mothers effects after she had died. The man sat in the front I believe is Patrick McDonnell. On the reverse it was dated 26/04/1946). In my photograph there is a pram which would have been my other brother who was born feb 1946. which seems to confirm the date. It also says it was taken outside a pub in summer lane.Lower Tower street..jpg

right john so on my photo its dated 1956 and on yours 1946 and on yours its says its a pub on summer lane..have i got that right..if so we need to look at photos of all the summer lane pubs which i have...

lyn

any lost photos on this thread have now been reposted...many thanks to ex pat pete for emailing his lost ones...i shall try and tackle the tower st thread next

lyn

My Nan was born at No 4 Court 2 Tower St 1897...Elizabeth Jennings...Married Michael Crowe.
Hello leonardjob I would like to ask if the Michael Crowe your Nan Married was the son of Michael Crowe that lived in 87 New Summer St, if so he would
be my mothers uncle Jane Crowe my mom was born in ward street. Hope you not mind me asking
pommie

thanks alan...at least the photos are still there...very often FB just delete them :mad: of course i do have them in my files minus the watermark

lyn

Back