• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lower Tower Street

Re: The Blitz

Hi Astoness, these were taken up our yard TOWER STREET 1953 The Queens Coranation !! 1953
Had a big party tables all down through the yard every one making and baking as Irememeber we all had a great time

Any body got any ideas on the people names my Mother is the third from the left

Thanks so much for posting this! My family lived at 77 and my mum was born at home there. On this photo she and her sister recognise their aunt Eileen (centre) and their grandmother Julia (far right). Loved seeing this photograph (it's not one that we'd seen before).

I know my Grandad lived at no. 67 Lower Tower Street up until about 1962 and there was a pub called the Crown almost opposite.

Lyn
I agree it does not seem to be the Crown . Below is a photo of it . On the pillar by the door (red rectangle) all the stones go right across the pillar. In the picture in post 107 there is one place where it is divided into two blocks with a line down the middle . The bottom of the window seems to be higher (green rectangle) than in post 107, and there is just two layers of bricks below the window in post 107, whereas in the Crown ( blue rectangle) they go down to the ground.
That said, I think the pillar by the door in 107 is much narrower than that at the Barton Arms

Crown_inn__lower_tower_st_with_details_marked.jpg
I This pub is not the Barton Arms. It does say Crown on the sign. I think I remember Henry Corbets moving to the bottom of Lower Tower Street and Newtown Row. Lindym

hi lindym...yes we know its not the bartons...if memory serves me right we were discussing another photo further on up the thread which could have been the bartons...

lyn

This pub is not the Barton Arms. It does say the Crown on its sign and it does look a bit like I think I remember it looking to mr a very long time ago. I think Corbets moved to the bottom of Lower Tower Steet and Newtown Row. Thank you all Lyndym

Sorry Lyndym

no problems lindym sometimes even i forgot what we have talked about on a thread lol... i always advise our new members to read a thread from the first post that way you dont miss anything ...are you having a problem because this is the lower tower st thread...just let me know

lyn

A small general store on the corner of lower tower st, A.Hicks prop. (my maternal grandmother)

Does it get a mention?

Thanks
Hi 2Dogs I find this very confusing on how to reply. I do remember Hicks, me and my sister went in it on Saturdays when we went to see our Grandad who lived at no.67 facing the Crown Pub. from Lindym

Hi 2Dogs. I remember Hicks. me and my sister went in it on Saturdays when we visited myn Grandad who lived at no.67 facing the Crown Pub.

no problems lindym sometimes even i forgot what we have talked about on a thread lol... i always advise our new members to read a thread from the first post that way you dont miss anything ...are you having a problem because this is the lower tower st thread...just let me know

lyn
Not sure what thread I should begin with or where it is. Sorry.

Thank you for showing these pictures of Lower Tower Street , can't wait to show my sister. So pleased. Thanks to all who showed pictures.x

Hi there. Hope you don't mind my interrupting your string, which I have enjoyed reading. I am an Australian, and during the COVID lockdown in Melbourne, I am researching my wife's ancestors who lived in Lower Tower Street in 1851. Can anyone kindly describe what the street might have looked like then? The family were William Stevenson (age 27, coach trimmer), wife Elizabeth nee Dibbin (age 30, dressmaker) and two young children, William and Sarah. According to the census, they lived at 4 Court 11 H Lower Tower Street, which seems to be between #10 and #13 in the street. William and Elizabeth later migrated to Australia. Their family story is most interesting and I am hoping that someone can add to it by describing life in 1851 Lower Tower Street. Best wishes

Hi Ian I am interested in Lower Tower Street, I lived there end of 1951 with my Mom,Dad, sister, we moved in with my Grandad,two uncles and my Aunt. It was small I was a tiny baby, my sister nearly 4. We lived at 67. Toilets were shared up the yard. There was a washing building which I remember being called the Brewery where the washing was done. There was a Pub over the road called The Crown. We had a big tin bath. It sounds bad but I only have happy memories. We moved out when I was about 15months old but my Grandad was there until about 1963. We used to go down every week and me and my sister stayed over Saturday night. I remember some Sundays in the morning he would shout Chimney on fire and we would wait for the Fire Engine to arrive before we could go back in. I remember only nice people. Hope you find what you are looking for. Good Luckxx

Hi there. Hope you don't mind my interrupting your string, which I have enjoyed reading. I am an Australian, and during the COVID lockdown in Melbourne, I am researching my wife's ancestors who lived in Lower Tower Street in 1851. Can anyone kindly describe what the street might have looked like then? The family were William Stevenson (age 27, coach trimmer), wife Elizabeth nee Dibbin (age 30, dressmaker) and two young children, William and Sarah. According to the census, they lived at 4 Court 11 H Lower Tower Street, which seems to be between #10 and #13 in the street. William and Elizabeth later migrated to Australia. Their family story is most interesting and I am hoping that someone can add to it by describing life in 1851 Lower Tower Street. Best wishes

hello ian and welcome...if you start at the beginning of this thread there are quite a few old photos of lower tower st your ancestors would have been familiar with these sights...i will ask our map expert to post a map for you showing exactly where house no11 court 4 was

lyn

I only have a large scale map of lower tower st from the late 1880s. Court 4 is marked on it in red. However it can be seen that there are nt 11 houses in it, and it must have been rebuilt after 1851. The position is however correct

map c 1889 lower tower st showing court 4.jpg

Thank you lindym for the story of your time in Lower Tower Street. Thank you lyn for reminding me of the old photos on the string, and thank you Astoness for the excellent map showing where my Stevenson ancestors lived. In regard to the map, the 1851 Census refers to only 6 dwellings in Court 4, numbering them H7 to H12, with numbers H1 to H6 being in Court 3. This suggests to me that the building in the map may well be the one my ancestors lived in and had not been rebuilt. You have all been very helpful. Cheers

Back