• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lower Tower Street

2dogs

A small general store on the corner of lower tower st, A.Hicks prop. (my maternal grandmother)

Does it get a mention?

Thanks

2dogs,Hi and welcome to the forum,Kelly's 1949 shows,Mrs Ada Hicks grocer at 78 Lower Tower Street.

Colin

Me again.
Just did some map research online ... it was definitely Lower Tower Street - I remember the names of the other streets in the vicinity. Also my Mom, Ada's daughter, gave me an early address of 78 Lower Tower St but I didn't realise it was also the shop address.

John, thanks for the "snip". Does it give any more info?? ... street name ??

78 Lower Tower street it also lists a local pub you might be able to get a photograph which might show dwellings do you need any more info
i-e different years just look at the Kelly's we have and let me know John H

Yes, I seem to remember the pub was on the corner across the road from the shop tho as a 5 year old I don't remember ever going there.
What do you mean by ..."...just look at the Kelly's we have ...."
Are they available online somewhere?
Cheers

John is suggesting you might want to look in one of the many other years we have a Kelly's Directory for..........

close up of the corner shop on the corner of tower and ward st..

Attachments

• Newtown lower tower st.jpg
    Newtown lower tower st.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Blitz

Hi Astoness, these were taken up our yard TOWER STREET 1953 The Queens Coranation !! 1953
Had a big party tables all down through the yard every one making and baking as Irememeber we all had a great time

Any body got any ideas on the people names my Mother is the third from the left

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
hi pete hope you see this thread if you have any pics of upper or lower tower st we would love to see them..i have posted some of lower tower st on here....

cheers

lyn

hi pete what brilliant pics..you are so lucky to have them...thank you for posting them...

lyn

Hi Pete, I've had a good look at your photo,I thought my gran was in it but,sadly its not her, I'm so disappointed. The only man in the pic is
named Ted Maiden,a lovely man.
Lynne.

Hi all, thanks to the people on here that have uploaded pics into this thread. I am researching my family tree and have found some members of my family lived in lower tower street in the early 1900's. Does anybody by any chance know if any of the pictures shown here show number 88 lower tower street?

It is in the distance, if it was still standing, but , looking at the picture, no 88 is about behind the lorry with either a skip or a car on the back, the first vehical on the right hand side of the road.
mike

Hi mike, thanks. I have seen other pics on here of lower tower street do you know of any that maybe closer?

hi tezowl....the only pics i know of lower tower st on the forum are those ive posted on posts numbers 12..13 and 14...if there are some more anywhere i would love to see them if they can be located...

lyn

Yeah sorry astoness the others i was talking about are on the other page of this thread not another one.

thats ok ..i was panicing a bit then as thought i had missed some pics of tower st as they are very hard to come by....:rolleyes:

Hi Astoness, Your photos of lower tower st brought back a few memories, my cousin lived at the back of the first house down with Southwells on the side. I stopped there on the night before we went to the Isle of Man ,with the settlement in about 1952/3. I also used the pub further down same side a few times. My stepsisters lived up an entry facing the settlement in Tower st ,Annette Joan and Lillian Lewis. Mick Mcgrath

Back