• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lodge Rd Hockley (the Flat)

Not quite the flat, but nearby - My dad had his hair cut - and dragged me to have mine done at a Barbers called Jack Sabin.
certain he was on Icknield St, before Key Hill Cemetery (Where the petrol station is now??), which was facing The Flat.

Anyone recall him ??

newspaper cutting dated 1867...i wonder if when the old baptist church was demolished they found the time capsule that was buried underneath the stone that was laid containing a glass bottle with newspapers of the day and some silver coins..if so where is it??

New Baptist chapel in Lodge Road, hockley.jpg

I have merged several posts into one at the beginning of this thread as all the images in the early posts have been lost. The list of lost images is in post #1. Some of these may have been posted in later posts. But if anyone has kept (and can remember the original photos !) please let me know and I shall re-post them where they belong. Many thanks. Viv.

A reminder that in the past everything did not come to a standstill when it snowed. :D
Tram (appears to be 283) built in 1908 got a top cover sometime between 1911 and 1925. Most of the class of cars were withdrawn 1930 to 1937 but those fitted with bow collectors for the Lodge Road route lasted until closure of the route in 1947 being replaced by bus route 96. The 32 route should have closed in 1939 but got a reprieve due to WW2.
6e1cc3fc633a2a4d61a0349b67dc70f8.jpg

I have merged several posts into one at the beginning of this thread as all the images in the early posts have been lost. The list of lost images is in post #1. Some of these may have been posted in later posts. But if anyone has kept (and can remember the original photos !) please let me know and I shall re-post them where they belong. Many thanks. Viv.

I am surprised that I could find little discussion on the website of people who worked at Woolworths on the Flat. There was a reasonably big workforce there, mainly females, including the girl I went on to marry! I was a stockroom boy who worked there part-time in the mid sixties when I was doing my A levels.

A reminder that in the past everything did not come to a standstill when it snowed. :D
Tram (appears to be 283) built in 1908 got a top cover sometime between 1911 and 1925. Most of the class of cars were withdrawn 1930 to 1937 but those fitted with bow collectors for the Lodge Road route lasted until closure of the route in 1947 being replaced by bus route 96. The 32 route should have closed in 1939 but got a reprieve due to WW2.

Rr Great pic , travelled that route both ways many times , reasons being my Sister lived off Lodge road , then courting my girlfriend now my wife who lived this way also

I thought Burleys butchers was Hudsons. Im not sure but I thought there was another shop after Miss Woolies which was Mrs Hudsons (wife) shop which sold baby clothes etc. Also, there was Harris's dry cleaners up from Gees China Shop

Would LOVE a photo that included Hudsons the butchers ( am a distant relative).

hi the shop is still there well at least the building is...here is a street view...cant be certain but i think it was either the shop on the left or right think it could be the one on the right pale green shutters because the map does not show an entry..the no of hudsons butchers was at no 19a as shown on this map...click on link for the streetview

lyn

hudson butchers lodge road 19a.jpg

Last edited:
Hi again, I dont have an exact photo of it but I can show you where it was. The shop next door was owned by Mrs Hudson and it sold baby clothes, knitting wool and patterns etc. The other photo shows which I think is Mr Hudson 1607367684877.png
1607367887417.png

sorry here is the link to todays view...thanks carolina i agree the shop was where you say trouble is with the awnings down we cant see the name above the shop but its better than nothing...

You guys rock. The Hudsons originally came from Leamington Hastings near Rugby ..... but that's another story.

hi rombalds always happy to help...did you see the link on post 523 i posted to see todays streeview ok

lyn

please excuse the pun but just to put a bit more meat on the bones this from kellys directories...the photo on post 252 shows spencers greengrocers with the christmas decs above the shop which took up numbers 22.23 and 24 so the red arrow is about right for hudsons

18 Marsh & Baxter Ltd.ham & bacon curers
19 Melias Ltd. food distributors
19A, Hudson Arth. H.butchr
20 Hinks Mrs. Annie, draper
21 Woolley Miss Doris, confectioner
22, 23 & 24 Spencer H. (J.V. Clewer), greengrocer
25 Mytton J. E. Ltd.butchers

I think Pearks was also between Heaton and Icknield Street
I worked at Pearks on the flat after school, cutting the cheese and butter, cleaning up and delivering the groceries and also taking ham hocks to the Soho road shop, I got knocked of the bike by a No 8 bus in Icknield street and after that they did away with the part time kids.I got an after school job in the Quarter after that. The butchers next door killed their own animals and sometimes on a Monday night when they were being delivered a sheep would escape, that was fun catching it.

I’m tracing my family tree… my grandparents and my mom lived at 41 Lodge Rd from the late 50s until the late 60s when they moved
to Erdington. Does anyone remember the Mills family? Marj and Fred, and their 12 children.

Hi Folks, I had my photo taken at Du Barry's when I was about 5 (I took some convincing - I was told it was quite painless and nothing to worry about, and nothing like going to the dentist) I don't remember there being one of their shops on the Flat but there is the evidence, what can't speak can't lie.
Du Barry also had studios in the Gt Western Arcade in the city and I think that's where I was taken for my pic - so how can I decide if their studio on The Flat should be included in my 50s plan? (Which, interestingly, seems to develop forward 3 paces and 2 back) - the car in shot is a Vauxhall Cresta PA first produced in 1957 which is 3 years after my pic was taken in 1954, that only partly helps because the car could be up to 2 years old, therefore dating the shot as possibly 1957 onwards.
My gut feeling is The Studio on The Flat appeared after 1959 when I left the area and should not appear on my plan - what do you think?

Lyn - My considered opinion: Your twin-set came from Gray's, which I'm pretty sure wasn't there in the 50s. so I can rule it out of my enquiries.

Carolina - Another valuable snip-it of info' do you know if the shop was there in the 50s?

Peg.
There was a Du Barrys on the Flat,it was a ladies hairdressers,my mom went regularly in the 50s

Not sure about the exact location of this 1977 photo, but perhaps someone can advise. I think it's a photo taken from Camden Street (or at least nearby). I think the tower block is Dorset Tower looking at the colour photo of its demoliton in 2010. Edit, subsequent information suggests the tower block in the B&W photo is Norfolk Tower, that shown in the colour photo is Dorset Tower.

In 2007, the council decided to sell the land along with land behind Spring Hill Library to Tesco for the construction of a new supermarket. Demolition work on Dorset Tower began in 2009 using high reach removal equipment. The supermarket was completed in early 2011 - modern photo below of Spring Hill library - viewed from the Spring Hill Roundabout - where once Dorset Tower would have been visible to the left.

Screenshot_20240421_100608_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240421_122200_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240421_124137_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421_124137_Maps.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
my first instinct was lodge road (the flat) viv. but not certain at the min.....here is st view 2009. the block of flats was demolished in 2017..2nd st view shows edge of the library

Last edited:
hi viv i am now pretty certain your photo is taken on lodge road (the flat) if you look at your photo the shop on the left painted white above has got 2 small pinnacles either side of the shop sign ..now look at my not very good photo of same view..you can just make out the pinnacles and the above is painted white..this is an earlier photo when the shop was a chemist the block of flats in your photo would not have yet been built instead there was a pub on that ground..my photo also shows the zebra crossing in your photo

index.php - 2024-04-22T115002.042.jpg

Last edited:
hi viv i am now pretty certain your photo is taken on lodge road (the flat) if you look at your photo the shop on the left painted white above has got 2 small pinnacles either side of the shop sign ..now look at my not very good photo of same view..you can just make out the pinnacles and the above is painted white..this is an earlier photo when the shop was a chemist the block of flats in your photo would not have yet been built instead there was a pub on that ground..my photo also shows the zebra crossing in your photo

View attachment 190847
Lyn, do you know by chance when the block of flats were built & how my people occupied it? I remember Lodge Rd and am wondering where all of those people shopped and how many had cars? At the end of 1962 when I left there were more and more cars and parking was becoming very problematic, sorry for getting off topic.

Here's one answer to your questions from Wiki Fandom:

Dorset Tower

Dorset Tower was an 18 storey tower block on Camden Street on the Boulton complex in Soho, Birmingham. Built in 1971, it was 52 metres tall. It was of a large concrete panel construction contained 36 one bedroom and 70 two bedroom flats; 106 flats in total. It covered an area of 0.5 hectares/ 1.2 acres.

Back