• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lodge Rd Hockley (the Flat)

Shera

true brummie
i have found some photos on flicker of this area. dont know whether theyve been posted before. my moms step father owned a grocery shop on "the flat" so she is very pleased to see the photos

i think i will have to put them on one by one as im having difficulty.

Moderators note. The following images have been lost from this thread, although members may have since reposted these in later posts.
lodge rd hockley. all saints church and school
kent terrace, lodge rd. hockley
Lodge road hockley again!
hydraulic pub on corner of lodge rd.

Last edited:
Keep posting them please, as I use to live just up the road from the vaults. Maggieuk will be pleased to see them as well.

Terry

i was so pleased to find them maggie. moms stepdad and his brother had a grocery shop there. their name was snape ( alfred and jerry). i expect it was before your time though, but if anyone remembers them please let me know

Brilliant photos! Well done for finding these and going to all the trouble of posting them.....very much appreciated!

Great photos Shera thanks for posting them I have really enjoyed looking at them. On the last one I notice a Spencers sign on the floor do you know if the workmen (ladders) are putting it up or taking it down?
There is a small Spencers shop already - were they moving into the larger shop next door do you think/know?
Polly

hi polly, unfortunately i dont know anything about them except that they are dated about 1960.

Spencers had a really big shop more like two in one..they sold fruit and veg and i dont know of the fruit shop in the pic so they must have been moving there

wow chris....what little gems you have posted...ive certainly not seen these before...thought you would be pleased to see them maggie...

many thanks chris..

lyn

i showed my mom the pics today and she knew straight away that her stepdads shop was the one next to spencers, so it is the one that has the ladders up against it. she said when she was there in 1930`s/40`s the name was Snape. they were more wholesale grocers than an ordinary shop and supplied spencers plus loads of other shops around bham. a few local people did go into the premises though to buy groceries.

ive checked on the 1936 kellys and sure enough, next door to spencers greengrocers is no 24 lodge rd. snape, wholesale grocer, so im so pleased to have found a picture for her.

chris...thats wonderful...isnt it just a good feeling when you find a pic that means so much to someone....

lyn

What great picture's there. My mom used to work at the Vault as a cleaner, and my old school was All Saint's. Anyone remember the butcher's on The Flat where they used to slaughter the animal's ?

What great picture's there. My mom used to work at the Vault as a cleaner, and my old school was All Saint's. Anyone remember the butcher's on The Flat where they used to slaughter the animal's ?

As kids we used to watch the animals being offloaded the vans. Sometimes we asked the butcher if he had any pigs bladders so we could blow them up and use as footballs, yuk the things we did. I also went to All Saints, left there 1958. Can't remember that much about it except the headmistress Miss Cole and the deputy head, Mr Manning was it? I think one of my teachers name was Miss Lewis. I can remember a lad being caned by Mr Manning, it was done on the stage in front of the whole school. I don't know what his crime was but it sure was effective, never saw that happen again.

Terry

Shera Thanks so much for starting this thread..who would have thought it but.. because you did .i have just spoken to someone i last saw 50 yrs ago Thanks again

oh how lovely maggie. im very pleased. i have been searching for photos of the flat for my mom for ages and it brought back all her memories when she saw the pictures. she had a big smile on her face.
shes now nearly 86yrs and was there from late 20`s to 1940 so its a long time ago!

maggie...thats great news.....ohh the power of pictures and this forum...

lyn

Hi Shera, what a treat to see these pics, I lived just up from the abby vaults in Park rd, and I remember saving something like a tanner a week in the post office savings book at lodge rd post officewhen I was a liitle un, also I used to work at Scribbanses and I bought my first pint in the Hydraulic one lunch time when I was 17 (1959)

Thanks for posting these .... Frank

Victor, it was called Mytton's when I had my hairdressing shop there in 1970's. I was opposite and my shop was called Dubarry's. We used to have a laugh with the butcher especially when we had hot pants as our uniform. There was a big green grocers next door to them called Griffins, I think he was called Harry. I had a little boutique next to me one side and a bookies the other, I can remember a chemist just up the road and the post office. I used to do most of the shopkeepers hair in those days, and the landladies of the pubs near by, I loved it there I had such a laugh the story's I was told, them were the days
My place was down the bottom by those cars on the left on pst 10 about 5 or 6 shops down from the chemist

Last edited:
Victor, it was called Mytton's when I had my hairdressing shop there in 1970's. I was opposite and my shop was called Dubarry's. We used to have a laugh with the butcher especially when we had hot pants as our uniform. There was a big green grocers next door to them called Griffins, I think he was called Harry. I had a little boutique next to me one side and a bookies the other, I can remember a chemist just up the road and the post office. I used to do most of the shopkeepers hair in those days, and the landladies of the pubs near by, I loved it there I had such a laugh the story's I was told, them were the days
My place was down the bottom by those cars on the left on pst 10 about 5 or 6 shops down from the chemist

Pictures please.

Terry

hi patty..wish i had a quid for everytime i said that...talking about lodge road i dont know if anyone would remember this shop...it was a little clothes shop and was on the left hand side coming from key hill..i well remember buying with my first wage a twin set..for the guys who dont know what that was its a matching short sleeve top and cardigan...

lyn

If you look behind Wendy you can see Lyn in hotpants. ( 60s night )

lol mike..i cant beleive you did that and just because you are extended admin does not exclude you from a hit on head..well i would if this thread allowed the smilies...just take it as done lol

lyn

Patty ........... the butcher , are you referring to Walter Smiths butchers next door
to Griffins ?? if so i have memories of the flat during 1968/69/70.
ragga ........

Back