• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lodge Rd Hockley (the Flat)

hi
This is a larger photo than whats on #121 so it shows more detail.

Image12_The_Flat_Hockley.jpg

Regards stars

Stars. you really are a star with these great pics you are putting onto the Forum. I remember this cafe and milk bar so well, and used to go down there on a Saturday for tea and toast.

Hi My dad Sam cotterill lived in Lodge road in his youth. dont know where exactly but will look in 1911 census as he was born in 1910.
His dad was also named sam and his mother was Rebecca nee wager

Re the cycle shop next to Clements, I was 15 and riding my bike home for my dinner from work, (I worked at Lench's in Gt Hampton St) it was wet and I needed to stop a bit quick, the brakes slid on the rim cos of the water, then it caught fast and guess who went over the handle bars, I broke my wrist, one of my friends John was on his Bro inlaws scooter saw it all, i felt a real clot.hmmm wonder if john will read this?.

I think that was the shop my dad bought my Sun cycle from. I fell off that as well !!! (My own fault).

taken today.....norfolk tower now gone...ford st is to the right park road south to the left..have to say i am never sorry to see the demise of a tower block..

lyn

OLD END 27.12.16 001.JPG OLD END 27.12.16 002.JPG OLD END 27.12.16 004.JPG OLD END 27.12.16 005.JPG

Last edited:
it looks even worse in the flesh carolina...so sad to see its decline from how we remember it

lyn

Hi ladies
I have to entirely agree with both of you it was an complete eys sore it should have not been built in the first
case complete waste of our tax payers money what as happened to ford street any think left of it
why do they want to keep my old school standing for ;it should have been demoed many years ago
when i was a pupil there
so the houseing estate at the top of lodge road the resideneced will have a big walk down if they fancy shopping down there
but saying that it looks like there is a ghost town effect of the good old shopps whats left
if i am correct the first shop on the picture on the left hand is HV Smiths the bread and cake shop thatswithinits self
would be a listed building , yes i know its not but its been there for decades
my cousins and aunt winnie and harry phelps lived down ford street along with my friends of old whom moved from kingedwards road ladywood to those newer littl houses they built
sad as it may be or sound its the best thing the council have ever done
happy new year folks Alan,,,, Astonian;;;;;;;

The Inner Circle take away caught my eye of course, reference to the number 8 bus. Sad to see it all looking so desolate.

Simon

My shop in the 70's was the one in between the boutique and betting shop, looks all bricked up above wonder when this was taken as I think it would have been there for a long time as the lady I bought it off had had the shop for a long time it was called dubarry's, I gave it up and don't know what happened to it or if it stayed a hairdressers
Some fantastic shots here,
Inner Circle 8 bus - part of my journey to and from school each day (1960-65).
Woolworths - spent half of my Heaton St life (1949-59) loitering around the toy counter.
Holckley Pentecostal Church - although I didn't attend I have family connections with an ex-minister and his wife
Smiths cake shop - finest egg custard tarts I'v ever tasted.

Corolina - Pitch blocks.
Can't find the thread you mentioned them on (I have looked for all of 5 seconds), sounds an odd way to build a road, my knowledge of The Flat only dates back to the time it was a properly made-up road, sounds pretty dodgy those blocks on an open fire - all that molten tar.

Peg.

Last edited:
PegMonkey, the pitch blocks are mentioned in the thread "City Centre Photographs", around #961 onwards. They were on Northbrook Street and Dudley Rd. too. My husband had to collect some for firewood and stored them in the cellar for his Mother. My great grandfather came from Buckinghamshire to be a Birmingham Pavier!!
rosie.

Hi Folks, the 1955 General Election brought a business opportunity to me and my mates (or so we thought). My mate Ray was a few years older than me (I was 6) and the entrepreneur in the group, his idea was:
We'll put a Vote Labour Poster on your go-cart and I'll make a placard, then we'll go to the Labour Party Offices on the Flat and negotiate a deal, we'll offer to parade around the streets for appropriate remuneration, what do you think?
My reply:
I'd rather play football in Icknield Street School Playground, the school is closed for polling.
But I was told: Business before pleasure, Peg, every time, we can play football anytime.
So we made a fortune, right?

We should have gone to play football like I wanted to in the first place!

Regards,
Peg.

Blimmey peg is that Hmv cake shop still there operating its been there for donkeys years even before my time
many years than i count , even when i was six and our dad was working at charles Harris the bakelight moulders
way back in the fifty early sixty there was a kid on the run from borstal wont name him thou
he was an irish lad , but that not the problem by mocking him
but it was very late in the night and he was starving if you can recall
they had a round edge glass w indow on your right had of the door as you go in
they displayed there mock wedding cakes in it, he thought it was real nd smashed the glass
then he got caught by a copper from keyon street and took back
I also have alot of memories of the flat in more ways and one reason my grand parents ran the coffee shop on the corner of park
in the early years and i have courted one hell of alot of girls nd snogged them in many of the door ways down there
our kid and myself used all those pubs most nights of the week
my mate was from the italian whom parents ran the coffee shop on the flat in the late sixties
and they bought if my grand father,s brother and i had alot offriends one end to the other
those were the days my friends young and free and wild , cor , like you oi wish i could turn back the clock
but saying that i do not regrett it i married the girl of my dreams and i beleive your pattern of life is made out for you
i was actuly thinking about the old days and more so of lodge road
as we came to brum today to go to the registration department to get a copy of our marriage lines
the full one and it had my fathers name on it and it stated he was a bakelight mouler proffession
and i knew he worked there from when and before i was born , and i know he only got the job because my mother grew up
with charles harriss and my mother was a kid as neibours in eversham village thats how he got the job ,
i have met with our sylvia whom is an old member of this forum and she told me her mom worked there as well in the office
and dark and black conditions working in there was
Well peg i stop waffling on as i do and bid you good night Astonian,,, Alan,,,

Back