• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lodge Rd Hockley (the Flat)

peg all i can recall is that if i did get my twin top from glarrys and im pretty sure i did it was near to the corner with park road...where the new houses are...
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4...4!1sQpIE_Mpw_cMiii2CKY4hHA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Fantastic ariel shot Lyn - thank goodness for the odd recognisable landmark (Pentecostal Church & Icknield St School); looks like my house in Heaton Street is 4th parking bay from the left in the industrial unit opposite the school entrance.
From your geographical note I'm guessing you got your twin-set from the shop near Pope's.

Peg.

P.S. Something irrelevant: I thought the Hole in the Wall had been there since the beginning of time, but it seems in the early 1900s it was a chemist - Heath's (Info' from another site, have not checked for accuracy.)

hi guys
Glarry,s was on the very corner of lower park road which is the road coming from the railway station
heading up towards the lodge road known as the flat before crossing over to continue up the upper park road
opperiste duro wines stores and Glarry,s fashionions was in fact the family of The plotnecks family
whom started at auchlineck square known as five ways edgbaston there huge shop of the international clothing
right on the very corner of five ways house way back as the early 1900,s
they also made there dezign clothing of fashion down the back of the midland red bus station at digbeth
thats where they started at five ways with the high priced clothing for the wealthy in the early 1900,s
and may i tell you that it was there grand father mr plotneck whom created the company namel Allied carpets business
way back in 1800/1900,s and they are of the jewish religion faith, they had a very huge house in edgbasto next to the cohens the
Jewlers whom married into the well known johnson brothers family of today and the well known jacobs
best wishes Astonian,,,,

hi guys
Glarry,s was on the very corner of lower park road which is the road coming from the railway station
heading up towards the lodge road known as the flat before crossing over to continue up the upper park road
opperiste duro wines stores and Glarry,s fashionions was in fact the family of The plotnecks family
whom started at auchlineck square known as five ways edgbaston there huge shop of the international clothing
right on the very corner of five ways house way back as the early 1900,s
they also made there dezign clothing of fashion down the back of the midland red bus station at digbeth
thats where they started at five ways with the high priced clothing for the wealthy in the early 1900,s
and may i tell you that it was there grand father mr plotneck whom created the company namel Allied carpets business
way back in 1800/1900,s and they are of the jewish religion faith, they had a very huge house in edgbasto next to the cohens the
Jewlers whom married into the well known johnson brothers family of today and the well known jacobs
best wishes Astonian,,,,
Is that yet another address, on The Flat, for Glarry's?! Who'd have thought a twin-set could be at the centre of such intrigue!

Peg.

yes i noticed that carol...it seems that my twin set is causing some excitement on this thread:D it could have been glarrys or greys i got it from but i know for certain that i got it from one of those shops along that stretch that were demolished near to the junction with park road...thinking back the year would have been 1970/71..i remember it well...during a lunch break at my first job after leaving school (vyse st) taking a stroll down to the flat to purchase my much wanted twin set..i went back to work feeling very grown up:)

lyn

Last edited:
The more I see of these old street 'photos in the various threads reminds me of the saying about Britain being a nation of shopkeepers. :D

Obviously shops changed over the years. View attachment 115230
Hi Folks, I had my photo taken at Du Barry's when I was about 5 (I took some convincing - I was told it was quite painless and nothing to worry about, and nothing like going to the dentist) I don't remember there being one of their shops on the Flat but there is the evidence, what can't speak can't lie.
Du Barry also had studios in the Gt Western Arcade in the city and I think that's where I was taken for my pic - so how can I decide if their studio on The Flat should be included in my 50s plan? (Which, interestingly, seems to develop forward 3 paces and 2 back) - the car in shot is a Vauxhall Cresta PA first produced in 1957 which is 3 years after my pic was taken in 1954, that only partly helps because the car could be up to 2 years old, therefore dating the shot as possibly 1957 onwards.
My gut feeling is The Studio on The Flat appeared after 1959 when I left the area and should not appear on my plan - what do you think?

Lyn - My considered opinion: Your twin-set came from Gray's, which I'm pretty sure wasn't there in the 50s. so I can rule it out of my enquiries.

Carolina - Another valuable snip-it of info' do you know if the shop was there in the 50s?

Peg.

yes peg i agree..think it must have been grays..the shop window looks about right from what i remember

lyn

Depends, of course, on the size of the livestock. However, I would not be surprised about some of the expediencies our forbears took and used when going about their daily toil. :eek:

Peg apparently there was a pet shop in the early 70s by Grays and run by Middletons. Is this the one you were thinking of?

Peg apparently there was a pet shop in the early 70s by Grays and run by Middletons. Is this the one you were thinking of?
Thanks Carolina, I read about it somewhere when checking out details for my plan of The Flat (almost finished) as it was the 70s I can exclude it from enquiries, the plan is based on c1955.

Peg.

P.S. As Princess of The Flat you may be ale to assist in another little mystery - more about that in a post to follow shortly.

Hi Folks, my Plan of The Flat c1955 is complete apart from one minor detail which, surprisingly, Kelly's doesn't explain, for some reason there is no mention of 8 Lodge Road. It fell between George Mason (7) and Joseph Harris (9). Obvious explanation is it was just absorbed by one of the shops but usually when this has taken place Kelly's makes it clear that has occurred. If it was a private dwelling Kelly's would state that. Any ideas?

Peg.

dont think kellys give private dwellings peg..i guess no 8 could have just been a redundant shop at that time..what kellys years have you checked ?

lyn

I can say that in the early years of my mothers growing up she was born 1926 and used to go there at that church
Which was in those days a baptis church as i have prevuiosly said in early years on this forum
my grand mother used to take my mother with her to that church for meetings every week along with other relatives
as they beleived in it my mother told me of her stories at that church
i used to go to ickneild street school for donkeys years and i would walk down there passing it until i left ickneild street and a little before your time peg thou; yes it changed it name to the pento way back in 1956 as i recall it
in my school days i used to stop and look at it regular thinking of the stories my mother told me of her growing up
and attending that church
i also came down heaton street regular to my aunt and uncle and the two cousins the phelps often some times daily
and my father worked at charles harris there for donkeys years util he died in 1958
we used to come to the factory my mom and myself
i used to get the bus down the monument road from springhill as well because i had alot of friends around the area and when grown u[
drank in all those pubs and i to knew alot of the traders and courted and snogged girls in those door ways
i will not mentionion there names in case you know there names
some from abbey street and some from park road and incidently my grand fathers brother george had the two coffee shops
way back in the thirty /fortys he sold the one on the flat and kept the one on the very corner of park road until later years
i think it was early fifty befor he died i think it was good old days peggy darling i say
and yes it has change name again and sprunce the both sides of the church
many times we have swaggered around that flat and shanks pony back up to springhill
best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,,,

dont think kellys give private dwellings peg..i guess no 8 could have just been a redundant shop at that time..what kellys years have you checked ?

lyn
Hi Lyn, The Plan is based on The Flat 1955, that's the Kelly's I've used, contains details I estimate valid around April 1955.
Mike's map suggests 7 & 8 were amalgamated into one place.
Hi Alan, thanks - jigsaw now complete, The Plan will be posted shortly.

Peg.

Back