• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Library Of Birmingham 2013

OK - Tried to send you a message but failed. I have moved your post to here which you will see is currently a closed thread. Let me know if the contents of that thread answer some of your comments please. Also could you do a search for Birmingham library or central library when you should find a number of threads that may answer you.

Accessed free wifi today, when I used the Library Cafe for the first time. Had to give my name and email address, and other than that it is free!

wifi lob.jpg

I made it to the glass lift today, forgot Bernard's warning, #5, about the doors opening behind! A lady was leaning against them and they moved. (Very slowly though.)
Beautiful views today in the sunshine.
rosie.

The Skills Show is on at the NEC from 14th to 16th November 2013.

They were at the Library on Saturday the 9th November 2013.

National Express coach

Filming visitors inside the library. Saw this going on while I relaxed on the mezzanine level having a coffee and deli sandwich.

While there last Saturday, I noticed that they were changing some windows on the Discovery Terrace

Surprised that they have had to replace some of the windows so soon!

While there last Saturday, I noticed that they were changing some windows on the Discovery Terrace

Surprised that they have had to replace some of the windows so soon!
Not so surprising I feel with such a large building. I recall when they built the 'Rootes Building' at Warwick University they had tiles popping off and had to keep people away until fixed.

I always seem to see them doing something to fix something! On a previous visit to the Discovery Terrace, half of it was blocked off, so I had to go back inside, and go to that side door, to access the back of it!

This was on 21st September 2013.

I love this picture, Kelly, a great screensaver!!!!!! Must try and get there one evening to see it, incorporate it with the German Market.

In the previous Library there was a War Memorial at the top of the first escalator. I wondered if it was placed in this one or moved somewhere else?
rosie.

I don't recall seeing a war memorial in the new one. But they transferred over the old busts and foundation stones and plaques to the 9th floor (outside the Shakespeare Memorial Room).

You can get a good view from the Discovery Terrace of the big wheel and the ice rink.

I didn't have time to check it out from the Secret Garden, but the view from the Discovery Terrace is fine.

You can also see the Christmas Market from up here as well!

Thank you ellbrown, I haven't made it to the 9th yet.
Last time I went they were just putting the wheel up and it felt strange to be higher!
rosie.

I only went as far as the 3rd floor yesterday (as didn't have much time there).

If you make it to the 9th, there is an amazing skyline view, and of course the Shakespeare Memorial Room!

I only went as far as the 3rd floor yesterday (as didn't have much time there).

If you make it to the 9th, there is an amazing skyline view, and of course the Shakespeare Memorial Room!
What's in the Marquee ell, is it ice rink related?.

I do not have a clue as to what the going price is for such a website Viv might be interesting to find out. Not sure what the deal is with Gov't (local and national) and Capita there just have to be better and more capable companies out there in this particular field than them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been discussed on Radio WM this morning with Adrian Goldberg with Paul Tilsley. Very controversial. Still being discussed if you want to listen in or comment. Jean.

Back