• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Library Of Birmingham 2013

B

BernardR

Thought it was about time the 'Library of Birmingham' was moved from 'News and Events' now it is open.

Please use this thread to discuss queries; as well as for tips on carrying out Birmingham History and Family Research. Comments on visits and visitors photographs which will help folk get around also welcome.

IMAG0636.jpgIMAG0637.jpgIMAG0640.jpg

Linda got better photos as I only took my phone so I may try to pinch some of hers to post.

Re: New library.

Some of the Library Parish Registers for Birmingham are now on line on Ancestry with the images. It will save going to the Library to find and copy them. Alan.

The views from the Secret Garden on floor 7 are amazing. I don't like heights but there is a high handrail with a glass-sided wall so it doesn't seem so frightening for someone like me who doesn't even like going over bridges! I think I will take a streetmap next time to be sure I've spotted the right landmarks like St. Paul's Churchyard. It's very windy up there, the flowers are lovely.
I want to go in the glass lift one day....I'm getting braver!! The travelator was an experience too.
rosie.

Some of the Library Parish Registers for Birmingham are now on line on Ancestry with the images. It will save going to the Library to find and copy them. Alan.
Many thanks for that Alan just the sort of info that is needed.

We both signed up to on-line access and though we have not used it yet the procedure was simplicity itself.

The views from the Secret Garden on floor 7 are amazing. I don't like heights but there is a high handrail with a glass-sided wall so it doesn't seem so frightening for someone like me who doesn't even like going over bridges! I think I will take a streetmap next time to be sure I've spotted the right landmarks like St. Paul's Churchyard. It's very windy up there, the flowers are lovely.
I want to go in the glass lift one day....I'm getting braver!! The travelator was an experience too.
rosie.
If you make it to the Glass Elevator [Lift] then remember it has doors opposite - my wife was a bit surprised when we reached the top and the door opened behind her. I should have told her really. Tip - Take a compass. I looked over towards Barr Beacon but could not see GG Jean waving back.

Thanks for opening new thread.

So far I've got the lower ground floor up (on my Flickr).

Think it is for children's and music related books.

It looks peaceful down here

I am coming back to UK in a few weeks, just for a few days and intend to visit the Library. Can anyone tell me if I can just turn up and wander around there please?

Free entry. Explore. Might be a queue, but might be as long in a few weeks.

Use the new thread.

Level 1: Business, Learning & Health

People can set up their laptops / tablets in here. But the library also provides their own PC's to use.

Am not too sure about free wifi though. As I could only get weak or fair on my phone! (I was on the balcony / garden outside)

I see the building as a magnificent homage to the printed word but not a library. Floors are not listed by subject rather they are presented as abstract states such a "Study Zone" and "Relaxation Area", the rotunda thing looks superb but most of it is accessible only library staff ( these are the shelves that seem to have been arranged by colour) and some shelving is accessible to no one as they extend past the floored area into space.
I love the building but I am not sure what it is for.

I think that in our current age Libraries will have to continually evolve to compete with the Digital alternatives hence the increasing move to encourage the younger members of our society. I grew up using the Library at 'Yardley Wood' and much preferred what I saw in the 'Library of Birmingham' to what I recall as a dry and dust unwelcoming space.

Only time will tell as to whether folk use it or not.

I didn't see any members of the public around the Book Rotunda (the steps)

Then again maybe some were up there!

Level 1: Business, Learning & Health

People can set up their laptops / tablets in here. But the library also provides their own PC's to use.

Am not too sure about free wifi though. As I could only get weak or fair on my phone! (I was on the balcony / garden outside)
Free Wifi works but you have to sign in with a few details (email, name). There's something about better access if you have a library card although I don't see where that is available through wifi.

Thanks for opening new thread.

So far I've got the lower ground floor up (on my Flickr).

Think it is for children's and music related books.

It looks peaceful down here
All fiction is on the lower ground floors along with the music/DVD library. I'm not sure if anything else is available on loan.

Went this afternoon for the second time. Good views from the secret garden and went into the Shakespeare room.

Had a look at a couple of electoral rolls but the mechanical bookcase kept breaking down - I don't know whose idea that contraption was. Fairly busy so didn't look at much else and am hoping at some stage the archive room will be accessible for unbooked visits.

I have spoken to the staff their and they seem very happy with the first two weeks, Ok they know that there are problems with the lifts and some of the shelving but they have had over 150,000 visitors so far and all the cafes, souvenir shops and galleries have coped well expect that some time next week the first book will be loaned out.

Free Wifi works but you have to sign in with a few details (email, name). There's something about better access if you have a library card although I don't see where that is available through wifi.

Even the wifi at Broadway Plaza requires that! (I didn't even bother to set up the Broadway Plaza ones).

My phone picked up so many different ones. The BT was weak. Some of the other ones were marked as fair (but I was outside on the balcony overlooking the car park and city centre gardens!).

O2 Wifi doesn't even need a password! But the library doesn't have that one!

All the escalators were working, other than the travelator going down from level 4 to 3 (had to walk down that one!)

Up to the 4th floor.

Level 4: Archive & Heritage

This was as high as I got, before the Saturday 5pm closing announcement went out!

So will have to go again to get higher!

A couple of video clips I made at the new library.

View from the Discovery Terrace. From the library, City Centre Gardens to Baskerville House and back!
[youtube]9GX-I-VpvNI[/youtube]

Book Rotunda
[youtube]TxtNng3vZkw[/youtube]

No problem Viv!

Hope to go back soon to check out the upper floors, and maybe find the café's inside (somehow missed them last time).

Here is a panoramic view from the back (taken from the Discovery Terrace), overlooking the Civic Centre towers, City Centre Gardens to Baskerville House.

Just the gardens and the towers

Thanks for posting your photos and videos Ell, my Husband hasn't been able to go yet so he has enjoyed them too!
In my booklet, the Cafes are on the Ground floor on the right as you go in, and on the third floor (Discovery Floor) but this one is for peak times only. Also there are vending machines for cold drinks and snacks in the "Lounge areas".
rosie.

Thanks for posting your photos and videos Ell, my Husband hasn't been able to go yet so he has enjoyed them too!
In my booklet, the Cafes are on the Ground floor on the right as you go in, and on the third floor (Discovery Floor) but this one is for peak times only. Also there are vending machines for cold drinks and snacks in the "Lounge areas".
rosie.
That is correct Rosie - we took advantage of the Café when we called - very helpful and good views particularly from the upstairs seating which is alongside the side that faces Baskerville House.

Back