• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lawrence St Gosta Green

hi violetmargaret
not sure if you noticed on the map (although not marked) there is I presume a
55 Lawrence St next to the 56 which is shown and a 54 and 53 next to the 52 shown
Barry

I also lived in Lawrence st No 55 then moved next door to No 56.noticed on the map you printed it shows No 55 on corner of lawrence st and Gem st ,I recall this as morrisons shop.
Sorry, but only just noticed your post. the no 55 you mentiion was no 55 Gem st (the numbers are placed at right angles to those of Lawrence St

Francis Watkins, lived at number 12 Gem Street. Until she died in 1962 aged 82. My grandma. She walked with aid of two walking sticks.

Last edited:
I took some photos around 1969 of what were the first council houses in Birmjngham in Lawrence St, which Aston sttudents campaigned (unsuccessfully) to preserve, just before demolition. They were on the forum somewhere, but cannot find them, so am reposting them

View attachment 140585View attachment 140586View attachment 140587View attachment 140588View attachment 140589
A late reply Mike. Great photos. I didn’t live very far from here , until 1967. In the last one could that building be the back of Woodcock Street swimming baths. I cannot get my bearings on Lawrence Street, though I remember it well. (Although #28 show the baths, cannot get it right in my head. Age thing I suppose and I am pretty useless at maps). One thing I do remember though, Lawrence Street had a gang and the kids in other parts of the area was scared of them. Nothing like gangs of today mind you, just youngsters. Amazing what you remember. Perhaps other members on this thread could help me on this.... I do hope so. Thank you. Regards, Sue

A late reply Mike. Great photos. I didn’t live very far from here , until 1967. In the last one could that building be the back of Woodcock Street swimming baths. I cannot get my bearings on Lawrence Street, though I remember it well. (Although #28 show the baths, cannot get it right in my head. Age thing I suppose and I am pretty useless at maps). One thing I do remember though, Lawrence Street had a gang and the kids in other parts of the area was scared of them. Nothing like gangs of today mind you, just youngsters. Amazing what you remember. Perhaps other members on this thread could help me on this.... I do hope so. Thank you. Regards, Sue
Hi Susan I lived in Lawrence street I was born in No 56 and moved out when the council demolished the houses,the gang I recall was called the zorro gang just a group of kids playing hard but did have a reputation. Hope this helps your memories.

Hi Susan Shaw
do you remember what years the gang existed ??? I don't think it was us
there were 5 boys in our family living in Lawrence St in the late 50's and we had a mate across the road. I think his name was Michael Cowley, we used to go collecting wood to burn on bonfire night 5th November
we had a big fire one time, in the terrace yard directly across the road fire works as well
young and care free youths
Barry

Hi Susan I lived in Lawrence street I was born in No 56 and moved out when the council demolished the houses,the gang I recall was called the zorro gang just a group of kids playing hard but did have a reputation. Hope this helps your memories.
Hi Violet, Thanks for your reply. Yes, it was probably just that, kids playing hard. I didn't know anyone personally from Lawrence street, Ryder street etc. Gem street clinic I do though. I used to go shopping in Coleshill Street for my mom and nans. A right little errand girl. Do you remember Browns the grocers, Lathburys the chemist and Venns, the old man with the runny nose and many more. How about the Blackpool fish shop and their competitor Bobs. I get carried away once I start Violet, so I had better sign off now. So pleased that you replied, thank you again.

I lived in Gopsal street by the way, just off Howe street. We left there in 1967 and moved to Sheldon. There is nothing on BHF of my old street pre demolition days, I am hoping that one day someone will post one on here. I have so enjoyed BHF, IT IS FANTASTIC. The hard work of all the staff is unbelievable. The wonderful old photographs that the members post too are unbelievable, they have brought back so many memories. Kind regards, Sue

Hi Susan Shaw
do you remember what years the gang existed ??? I don't think it was us
there were 5 boys in our family living in Lawrence St in the late 50's and we had a mate across the road. I think his name was Michael Cowley, we used to go collecting wood to burn on bonfire night 5th November
we had a big fire one time, in the terrace yard directly across the road fire works as well
young and care free youths
Barry
Hi Barry, Thanks for your reply. I don't really. Early sixties perhaps. It is just something that has stuck in my mind really, and as Violet has said kids playing hard. I like that!
We used to have great bonfire nights. The bonfire was opposite our house on the bombed peck: remember them? The older boys did a good job for us. Would you remember the Carvers, the Claytons or the Banners. Wonderful memories and yes young and care free.

Kind regards, Sue

Hi Violet, Thanks for your reply. Yes, it was probably just that, kids playing hard. I didn't know anyone personally from Lawrence street, Ryder street etc. Gem street clinic I do though. I used to go shopping in Coleshill Street for my mom and nans. A right little errand girl. Do you remember Browns the grocers, Lathburys the chemist and Venns, the old man with the runny nose and many more. How about the Blackpool fish shop and their competitor Bobs. I get carried away once I start Violet, so I had better sign off now. So pleased that you replied, thank you again.

I lived in Gopsal street by the way, just off Howe street. We left there in 1967 and moved to Sheldon. There is nothing on BHF of my old street pre demolition days, I am hoping that one day someone will post one on here. I have so enjoyed BHF, IT IS FANTASTIC. The hard work of all the staff is unbelievable. The wonderful old photographs that the members post too are unbelievable, they have brought back so many memories. Kind regards, Sue
Hi Susan,yes I can remember most of the shops like rentals the sweet shop just passed the gaiety picture house in coleshill street also the tripe shop where you could buy a penny glass of pop and three pence bag of mixed sweets.i have been to a few Lawrence street reunions and still keep in touch with many of friends made as children. Love hearing about the way our lives have gone since we grew up in what were known as the slums of Birmingham.stay safe and happy.violet

Hi Susan,yes I can remember most of the shops like rentals the sweet shop just passed the gaiety picture house in coleshill street also the tripe shop where you could buy a penny glass of pop and three pence bag of mixed sweets.i have been to a few Lawrence street reunions and still keep in touch with many of friends made as children. Love hearing about the way our lives have gone since we grew up in what were known as the slums of Birmingham.stay safe and happy.violet
Thanks again for your response Violet. Yes, I remember the cinema, Saturday morning matinees, what a treat. Think the newsagent was called George Rental. He used to reduce the Easter eggs to half price after Easter .... what a gent. The tripe shop, I can see the lady now with her grey hair and floral like overall. Do you remember the cafe, just passed the gaiety. When my mom was in hospital having one of my siblings, I remember my dad getting us an apple tart from there. Again, amazing what sticks in your mind. Great to hear that you are still in touch with your childhood friends and thank you for our little chats. The slums of Birmingham kids turned out okay didn’t they? Stay safe too, Kind regards, Sue

Hi Susan Shaw
Sorry don't remember any of those names (not good on names)
can remember events Like the bonfires, going to the Lickey Hills in Worcestershire,
playing in Corporation St with my brothers with our special army code letters,
riding our push bikes around the midlands going to Stratford on Avon, Kidderminster, etc
fish and chips from Coleshill St
Barry

I also lived in Lawrence st No 55 then moved next door to No 56.noticed on the map you printed it shows No 55 on corner of lawrence st and Gem st ,I recall this as morrisons shop.
My Grandad lived at 57 next to the shop. Think he was last one to live there when he died about 1964.

Hi Stanley Moore
Did you live there until the houses were demolished
if so did you go to Bishop Ryder School in Gem St
and if its ok where do you live now

Hi Stanley Moore
Did you live there until the houses were demolished
if so did you go to Bishop Ryder School in Gem St
and if its ok where do you live now
I was born there 1950 it was my Nan's house , she lived there till the late 1960s ,we use to visit her every two weeks and have Sunday dinner, no. 52 , she used to give my a bottle to get filled up with beer from the pub outdoor on the corner of Lawrence Street and Gem St , and sent me to get her woodbines from the corner shop shop

I took some photos around 1969 of what were the first council houses in Birmjngham in Lawrence St, which Aston sttudents campaigned (unsuccessfully) to preserve, just before demolition. They were on the forum somewhere, but cannot find them, so am reposting them

View attachment 140585View attachment 140586View attachment 140587View attachment 140588View attachment 140589
Mike
do you know what was the business (and Possibly the Name) that was just up the street from where we lived in 26 Lawrence St and before the Terrace housing started
in1958-1959 my brother used to go in the truck of one of the workers from that business from time to time
Barry

My Grandad lived at 57 next to the shop. Think he was last one to live there when he died about 1964.
Hiya Vi x what was the number of our house that Rob and I lived in with Pauline and Albert . Great days great memories .

Keith Berry took this photo in 1958 identifying it as Lawrence Street.
View attachment 140584
Hi oldMohawk
I dont know for sure and I am not an expert and it may no matter to some but
I have looked at this photo many times and think it is the top of Ryder Street
if you look at the maps of Ryder Street you can see the step in the street that
is seen here, I dont remember there being a step in Lawrence St when we lived there
does anyone have any thoughts about this.
Barry

Hi oldMohawk
is seen here, I dont remember there being a step in Lawrence St when we lived there
Barry
Hi Barry, you could be correct. Have a look at album 8 photos 13 and 14 in the thread below. In the album 8 Keith Berry actually stated near Ryder Street so I not sure where I got Lawrence Street from. The story behind the KB photos was that they were stored on the PBase server and because the subscription lapsed, Pbase deleted the lot. With some fiddling I managed to 'undelete' them long enough to copy them. I will check further ... :)

Hi oldMohawk
Barry
Hello, I agree it’s Ryder Street, round the corner from where my Gran lived in Gem Street. Chunky AC

Hi oldMohawk and Chunky AC
Thankyou very much for your replies and doorway into a treasure chest
of photos that would have been lost except for your hard work
Although I only lived in Birmingham for a short while before our family
came to Australia, I have recently become very interested in this city
especially the area where we lived the pictures on this Forum have bought back
many good memories
Now you have the Commonwealth Games there soon I will be watching the Marathon
Race with interest and have down loaded the Route already
Barry

Hi Barry, I've had a look at maps and agree there is no step in Lawrence St but I can see one in Ryder St. I will edit an amendment note into my post. The forum link below is to a thread which gives the 'story' about Keith Berry's photos. In post#21 of that thread is a nice picture of his ZX81 computer set-up used in 1981.
:)

Hi oldMohak
I dont know if you have seen this but, a little more info about the Ryder Street Picture
In William Dargue Writings ( A History of BIRMINGHAM )
found at the link below, it shows the picture in question with this reference

Ryder Street - the picture is looking east from the corner of Old Cross Street 1958. Reproduced with the kind permission of Keith Berry.

Hi oldMohak
I dont know if you have seen this but, a little more info about the Ryder Street Picture
In William Dargue Writings ( A History of BIRMINGHAM )
found at the link below, it shows the picture in question with this reference

Ryder Street - the picture is looking east from the corner of Old Cross Street 1958. Reproduced with the kind permission of Keith Berry.

Thanks, I had seen the subject of that link. Bill Dargue is actually a member of this forum known as Bill.Dargue and he joined in 2006 and last visited in 2021. There are at least 280 forum links to his very interesting website.
Put his surname in the search box to see them. He commented about his website in 2008.
oldmohawk :)

Last edited:
Thanks, I had seen the subject of that link. Bill Dargue is actually a member of this forum known as Bill.Dargue and he joined in 2006 and last visited in 2021. There are at least 280 forum links to his very interesting website.
Put his surname in the search box to see them. He commented about his website in 2008.
oldmohawk :)
thankyou

Back