• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lawrence St Gosta Green

Looking at a map showing Lawrence Street (date 1951) which I posted in another thread
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...sta-green-recreation-ground.51111/post-668731
I can see a 'house' marked as a 'ruin' as shown in an enlargement of the map shown below.
Ruin.jpg

An aerial view (low res) dated 1945 shows some indication that something had happened to the house. Was it bombed or burnt-out ? Can anyone determine the house number ?
LawrenceSt1945.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All
we lived in Lawrence Street in 1958 at I think no 26
it had a back yard and was down near Duke Street
is there any photos of that end of the street

Hi All
if you have not already seen them there are photos on this thread of lawrence st but only you will know if any show near the duke st end

lyn

have looked at current maps and can recognize the house, but cant read any numbers
have see the photos of the terrace houses, might be all there is
Thank you

Hi All
hi barry could we have your parents names as we maybe able to find them on the electoral rolls which will confirm exactly the number of your house

lyn

Thank You Mikejee
that map shows the numbers very clearly, you have done good
I also lived in Lawrence st No 55 then moved next door to No 56.noticed on the map you printed it shows No 55 on corner of lawrence st and Gem st ,I recall this as morrisons shop.

hi violetmargaret
not sure if you noticed on the map (although not marked) there is I presume a
55 Lawrence St next to the 56 which is shown and a 54 and 53 next to the 52 shown
Barry

I also lived in Lawrence st No 55 then moved next door to No 56.noticed on the map you printed it shows No 55 on corner of lawrence st and Gem st ,I recall this as morrisons shop.
Sorry, but only just noticed your post. the no 55 you mentiion was no 55 Gem st (the numbers are placed at right angles to those of Lawrence St

Francis Watkins, lived at number 12 Gem Street. Until she died in 1962 aged 82. My grandma. She walked with aid of two walking sticks.

Last edited:
I took some photos around 1969 of what were the first council houses in Birmjngham in Lawrence St, which Aston sttudents campaigned (unsuccessfully) to preserve, just before demolition. They were on the forum somewhere, but cannot find them, so am reposting them

View attachment 140585View attachment 140586View attachment 140587View attachment 140588View attachment 140589
A late reply Mike. Great photos. I didn’t live very far from here , until 1967. In the last one could that building be the back of Woodcock Street swimming baths. I cannot get my bearings on Lawrence Street, though I remember it well. (Although #28 show the baths, cannot get it right in my head. Age thing I suppose and I am pretty useless at maps). One thing I do remember though, Lawrence Street had a gang and the kids in other parts of the area was scared of them. Nothing like gangs of today mind you, just youngsters. Amazing what you remember. Perhaps other members on this thread could help me on this.... I do hope so. Thank you. Regards, Sue

A late reply Mike. Great photos. I didn’t live very far from here , until 1967. In the last one could that building be the back of Woodcock Street swimming baths. I cannot get my bearings on Lawrence Street, though I remember it well. (Although #28 show the baths, cannot get it right in my head. Age thing I suppose and I am pretty useless at maps). One thing I do remember though, Lawrence Street had a gang and the kids in other parts of the area was scared of them. Nothing like gangs of today mind you, just youngsters. Amazing what you remember. Perhaps other members on this thread could help me on this.... I do hope so. Thank you. Regards, Sue
Hi Susan I lived in Lawrence street I was born in No 56 and moved out when the council demolished the houses,the gang I recall was called the zorro gang just a group of kids playing hard but did have a reputation. Hope this helps your memories.

Hi Susan Shaw
do you remember what years the gang existed ??? I don't think it was us
there were 5 boys in our family living in Lawrence St in the late 50's and we had a mate across the road. I think his name was Michael Cowley, we used to go collecting wood to burn on bonfire night 5th November
we had a big fire one time, in the terrace yard directly across the road fire works as well
young and care free youths
Barry

Hi Susan I lived in Lawrence street I was born in No 56 and moved out when the council demolished the houses,the gang I recall was called the zorro gang just a group of kids playing hard but did have a reputation. Hope this helps your memories.
Hi Violet, Thanks for your reply. Yes, it was probably just that, kids playing hard. I didn't know anyone personally from Lawrence street, Ryder street etc. Gem street clinic I do though. I used to go shopping in Coleshill Street for my mom and nans. A right little errand girl. Do you remember Browns the grocers, Lathburys the chemist and Venns, the old man with the runny nose and many more. How about the Blackpool fish shop and their competitor Bobs. I get carried away once I start Violet, so I had better sign off now. So pleased that you replied, thank you again.

I lived in Gopsal street by the way, just off Howe street. We left there in 1967 and moved to Sheldon. There is nothing on BHF of my old street pre demolition days, I am hoping that one day someone will post one on here. I have so enjoyed BHF, IT IS FANTASTIC. The hard work of all the staff is unbelievable. The wonderful old photographs that the members post too are unbelievable, they have brought back so many memories. Kind regards, Sue

Back