• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

John Hibbard

David Hibbard

knowlegable brummie
Hi, I'm looking for any information about my father, he was born in Nottingham, but spent most of his life in Birmingham. Saltley, and nechells. He had 6 children, me included. His name was John vessey Hibbard DOB 1909, died 1972 alll approx. Any info is appreciated thanks D

Last edited:
hello david i am sure that a please/thank you was an oversight on your part but if our very kind members are to try and help you they will really need a bit more than a last name and location and a bit more background info and what is it you are actually trying to find out would be useful..the more info the easier it makes researching

thanks

lyn

John Vessey Hibbard born 25 Oct 1907 West Leake, death registered Mar qtr 1972 Bham

Living at 27 Sherborne St in 1939. Listed as widowed, however wife Sarah Ellen Banton (m1927) seems to have still been alive marrying an Arthur F Rose in 1950, reg Spilsby.

They had a daughter Margaret Jean reg Jun qtr 1928, Shardlow.

On the 1911 census he is shown living with parents John Vesey Hibbard age 44 a carter, Emma his mother, then sisters Edith, 14, Gladys 12, Ethel 8, Mabel 5. John is 3, His father is listed as being born in Derbyshire, his mother in Hackenthorpe, all the girls in Thrumpton, John in West Leake, which you already know.

Electoral Registers:
1945 93 Arley Rd (with Ivy I Higgins)
1950 93 Arley Rd
1955 93 Arley Rd (with Ivy I Hibbard)
1962 & 1965 93 Arley Road (with Ivy I Hibbard)

Looks like he may have either married Ivy (although I cannot find a registration) or she changed her name from Higgins to Hibbard. The electoral rolls show the address as Bennetts Rd, it is Arley Road, Nechells.

Are any of the trees on Ancestry yours?

Hi, that's brilliant that's my mum and dad. They never married, but had 6 kids me included.. As for changing her name, that's something I don't know. She was married before and divorced so was dad. Her married name was Higgins,, and her maiden name was pready,. Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks. D

On the 1911 census he is shown living with parents John Vesey Hibbard age 44 a carter, Emma his mother, then sisters Edith, 14, Gladys 12, Ethel 8, Mabel 5. John is 3, His father is listed as being born in Derbyshire, his mother in Hackenthorpe, all the girls in Thrumpton, John in West Leake, which you already know.

Electoral Registers:
1950 93 Arley Rd

Looks like he may have either married Ivy (although I cannot find a registration) or she changed her name from Higgins to Hibbard. The electoral rolls show the address as Bennetts Rd, it is Arley Road, Nechells.

Hi again, can you please tell me when Alfred pready, lived at 93 arley Road, was it before my mum or after. Thank you D

Electoral Registers:
1950 93 Arley Rd

Hi again, my dad had a brother, any info on that, you have the girls, but not my uncle?

If you're talking about Stanley, then he wasn't born until 1912 so wouldn't be on the 1911 census that Sue mentioned.

There were also 3 elder brothers - twins William & John (b1891) and George Arthur (b1894). All died young - John & George Arthur before their 1st birthday and William before his 2nd sadly.

Yes, I remember Stan, he died in the 60s, I think. I didn't know about the other 3 brothers who sadly died I remember mabel, vaguely, she came to visit on a couple of occasions, unfortunately she must have an illness of some sort because she was no bigger than about 4ft.8inchs. Don't think she ever married... From what I know, all the Hibbards stayed in or around Nottingham,

Ivy married Joseph Higgins in Birmingham in 1934. Was Alfred her father?
Is the Ivy Irene I found being born in Gloucester in 1909 yours?

1957 - Alfred E Pready and Ivy I Hibbard living at 93 Arley. In 1955 Alfred was living at 151 Great Brook St.
1960 Alfred Pready and Ivy Hibbard
1962 and 1965 Alfred Pready
Ivy I Hibbard
John V Hibbard

So where was John in 1960?

1957 - Alfred E Pready and Ivy I Hibbard living at 93 Arley. In 1955 Alfred was living at 151 Great Brook St.
1960 Alfred Pready and Ivy Hibbard
1962 and 1965 Alfred Pready
Ivy I Hibbard
John V Hibbard

So where was John in 1960?
Alfred was my mums brother. My dad was never there, he used to come get my mom pregnant then bugger off again. He loved to drink and gamble. I think the reason Alf wasn't there until 1960, officially, he was there before that, that's for certain. Also my mum owned the house at 93 arley road, but she was skint, so I'm led to believe that Alf brought it off her, but if that's true where did the money go, we had nothing, and I mean nothing,. I could go into details, but a lot of people at that time, had nothing. I can tell you more, but not sure if you have heard enough. D

Alfred was my mums brother. My dad was never there, he used to come get my mom pregnant then bugger off again. He loved to drink and gamble. I think the reason Alf wasn't there until 1960, officially, he was there before that, that's for certain. Also my mum owned the house at 93 arley road, but she was skint, so I'm led to believe that Alf brought it off her, but if that's true where did the money go, we had nothing, and I mean nothing,. I could go into details, but a lot of people at that time, had nothing. I can tell you more, but not sure if you have heard enough. D
Sorry, never read your reply correctly, Alf is the same person, living at both addresses, he never married, never had a girlfriend, but he worked, as a Coleman all his days OK

Yes, my mom was born in Gloucester, they were barge people, transporting coal.
Can you please see if you can find anything else about the pready family, before and after my mom was born,. I would love to know what happened to all of them? Where did mums, mum and dad live, where they died, etc etc, really appreciate it if you can, but no worries, if you can't OK. Thanks for all the info, from yourself, and everyone who has helped.

There is a family on the 1911 census: 54 New Street, Gloucester

Samuel Pready age 37 a Waterman, but this has been crossed out so I don't think he was actually in the house at the time of the census.
Mary Elizabeth Pready (Wife)
Violet Pready
Sidney George Pready
Ivy Irene Pready
Albert John Pready
There is another Samuel (age 14) a waterman, also crossed out.

There are a few trees on Ancestry relating to the Hibbards.
That's Brill, about where my mom was living, my uncle Alf wasn't born until later. Samuel!!! I wonder where he was, maybe working who knows. The Hibbards, tell me anything about them please, cheers D

There are a few trees on Ancestry relating to the Hibbards.
Hi sue, my mom had a son by Higgins in 1936, called Derek, on all the msgs I've had, he's never been mentioned. He was living with my mom at arley road, when in 1947, he had an accident, and was found dead, apparently he had put some rope around his neck, Playing! cowboys and Indians , slipped with the rope around his neck. He's buried at St saviours Church yard, Alum Rock.

John Hibbard married Elizabeth Vessey in 1864 in Sheffield.

He was born about 1837 in Yorkshire
Hi sue, my mom had a son by Higgins in 1936, called Derek, on all the msgs I've had, he's never been mentioned. He was living with my mom at arley road, when in 1947, he had an accident, and was found dead, apparently he had put some rope around his neck, Playing! cowboys and Indians , slipped with the rope around his neck. He's buried at St saviours Church yard, Alum Rock.
I know St Saviours very well as I used to live opposite the church in Ash Road. We used to play in the churchyard when we were young, go through a gap in the broken cast iron railings.

I know St Saviours very well as I used to live opposite the church in Ash Road. We used to play in the churchyard when we were young, go through a gap in the broken cast iron railings.
Hi sue, so that's where my dad got his middle name, vessey, it was his mums maiden name . I've made enquiries about the church yard, and apparently it's not in to bad a shape, so that's a plus. I live in Scotland, but I'm coming to BHAM, in the next couple of months, so I'm going to see if he has a headstone, we shall see. Really appreciate all the info, this site is brilliant. Thanks again. D

Hi sue, so that's where my dad got his middle name, vessey, it was his mums maiden name . I've made enquiries about the church yard, and apparently it's not in to bad a shape, so that's a plus. I live in Scotland, but I'm coming to BHAM, in the next couple of months, so I'm going to see if he has a headstone, we shall see. Really appreciate all the info, this site is brilliant. Thanks again. D
No it was his Grandmother's maiden name, not his mother's. Your john's mother was Emma Tracey. I do not live in Birmingham now, but I think you may find a headstone for Derek, although you may have a job as it is a pretty bag place (or was). I wonder if there is a plan and transcription of any of the inscriptions on the gravestones. I lived in a village and a local genealogy group were making plans of all the local grave yards. Not sure who would know, maybe the archives which I think are held in the library in the centre of Birmingham. As you do have access to a computer, just do a search (in Google?)_ for John Vessey Hibbard and see what comes up. There is quite a lot of stuff on the recent Hibbards including a John Vessey who died age 25 during WW2. You might find something of interest.

If you have a look at the Saltley & Alum Rock you should find a photograph that was taken from the tower of the church. It shows the flats I used to live in and you can also see some of the graveyard too. If you cannot find it let me know as I do have it somewhere and I will see if I can remember how to include photos in my postings.

hi David
on a lite note that maybe interesting
I lived in Birmingham in the late 50's then moved to Australia in 59
in 1963 we met and became good friends with 2 families called Hibbard
my youngest brother then married a girl called Sue Hibbard from one of these families
who had a brother David Hibbard, a cousin of his Bruce Hibbard has been a life long friend to our family
one of Bruce Hibbard's Sisters married my best Friend
The Hibbard Name has played a big part in our lives
Barry

Back