• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Saviour's Church, Saltley

W

Wendy

Here's a nice postcard of St Saviours I am not sure of the date but just look at the graveyard!

Attachments

• Saltley St Saviours 1988.jpg
    Saltley St Saviours 1988.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pic thats where my great uncle William known as Bill was married in 1889 to his wife Sarah Flood.
It was nice to see a photo of the church
Thanks again
Lindy

St. Saviour's

Thanks for the phot Moma P. It looks 'awesome!' My gt.Grandad/Mother were married there in 1886. I now have a good 'print-out', for my collection.

Finding - Draper/Roberts/Mc.Carthy/Rutter/Wood.

Heres a few pictures i took while ridding my bike on Sunday.

Attachments

• St Saviours 1988_opt[1].jpg
    St Saviours 1988_opt[1].jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 13
  • MVC-229F[1].jpg
    MVC-229F[1].jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 12
Re: St Saviours and the rosery

I used to live oposite St. Saviours, in Ash Road. It always seemed to be a dark, forboding building, and the Vicarage (next door in St Saviours Road) was a grim place. I used to play in the church yard which was always overgrown.

For some unknown reason the Rosary School and my secondary school, Cherrywood, were staunch rivals. No idea why, I suppose they just didn't like each other.

Re: St Saviours and the rosery

I used to live oposite St. Saviours, in Ash Road. It always seemed to be a dark, forboding building, and the Vicarage (next door in St Saviours Road) was a grim place. I used to play in the church yard which was always overgrown.

For some unknown reason the Rosary School and my secondary school, Cherrywood, were staunch rivals. No idea why, I suppose they just didn't like each other.
i used to live on ash road in the massonets you are right the grave yard has always been overgrown.cherrywood school was also used on a saturday for lads who had been in trouble,they used to do pe in the morning and wood work in the afternoon.

I lived in the flats oposite Hall Road (Block number 55)

I knew the Bebbington family and Mary Lamb who lived in your masionettes.

I lived there from about 1955 to 1967. did you go to Adderley and Cherrywood?

I lived in the flats oposite Hall Road (Block number 55)

I knew the Bebbington family and Mary Lamb who lived in your masionettes.

I lived there from about 1955 to 1967. did you go to Adderley and Cherrywood?
i lived on ash road in 1980 for about a year and they moved us to collage road where i lived till i got married.ps i knew about cherrywood of a saturday because i was sent there for being a naughty boy!!!

Hello I remember St Saviours well as I used to go to the church hall as part of Margaret Reids dancing class.
I was aged 11 when I joined and we put on a concerts there in 1962. I used to go to the Rosary junior school and lived in Alum Rock near the Pelham until I was 25. It has sadly changed beyond recognition now. Its nice to hear of familiar haunts from the past. Does anyone remember the Grand Cinema and Saturday afternoon cinema for kids at the Capitol:) ?
Cheers Silve

For anyone interested it looks like the vegetation in the graveyard has been cut back and the gravestones are visible. However, it was locked this morning. I don't know if that is temporary, permanent or a bit of bad luck with my timing.

Thanks Phil.

I had a similar problem when I went 18 months ago...

P1060854a.jpg

None of my relatives mentioned in the subsequent blogs but hoping they're there somewhere.

I think the gates are always locked now. My mom lived in Ash Road until 2011 and I haven't seen the gates open for years. When my mom was a girl, her and her brothers used to pick the bluebells from the church yard and would get a right telling off from my grandmother.

Hi fashioz
To be honest with you I also have never seen those gates ever open even like your self as kids we done the number 8 bus route evey Sunday when we was kids
And I lived in Ladywood then and it cost up three penny all the way round it was never open even walked pas quite area time always over grown
But I can go back further than that as I was born in Cromwell terrace Lichfield rd and it was a few years down the line when I was eight
Our neibours started to move out and the first to go was the sharps family and they moved into a maisonette directly oppersite that grave yard
And our dad took us there to that maisonette building it was two high on a Sunday morning to visit them we are talking 1952/3 years
Them building was demoed and they built them houses after that which still stand today that was the only time I seen them open
Then our other neibour from the terrace was the cradfocks whom moved up the alum rock they was posh family craham was my friend
They kept a posh house compared to most of us up the terrace I went to see him and it was a posh Ouse a big one big hall way entrance and a big garden the red was well tree lined not like today and most of brums trees chopped down best wishes astonian

st savioursst saviours rd hall rd and ralph dr.jpgHere are a couple of pics of St Saviours and a couple I think were taken from St Saviours , the first one showing St Saviours Road Hall Road and Ralph Road I think , the second showing Ash Road and Hall Road and Astorions flats

Michael lived in Ralph Road and was a server and Bell Ringer at St Saviour's. When he was an apprentice he made a new hinge pin for the flag pole, which can be seen in berniew's photo. We went a few years ago, the graveyard was in an awful state. There was a lot of Japanese Knot-weed everywhere. Such a shame but I suppose the local population now don't have the interest in the church. If you go to villages across the country the graveyards are usually beautifully kept...Such a pity.

Back