• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is the right section for this. does anyone remember the big old machines in a big glass case usually in railway stations. You would put an old penny in the slot, type something on the keys and watch the penny get flattened and print out what you typed. I believe they have one at the beatles museum which uses new currency

they had a machine in snow hill station if i remember correct you put sixpence in and you could type your name i still have one with my name on from 1961
josie

'Slips' ?? In 1980 you could grab yourself a bargain in this Lewis's sale, but not entirely sure what a 'slip' was. Think it might have been a ladies undergarment. And didn't know Wolsey once made mens underpants or were they women's? Thought they only made stockings and tights. Viv.

Viv, Slips were the full length version of an underskirt.
They had ribbon straps over the shoulder and were often satin with lace trimmings.
I remember having a really pretty one for my 21st birthday, navy blue with lots of lace.
I had just had a baby so Mom was doing my ironing, Satin slip,nylon lace/hot iron, shed a few tears.LOL.

Wolsey made mens undergarments, used to advertise that Captain Scott and his men wore them in the South pole expedition.

Wolsey still make long johns or coms. And briefs. My dad used to urder them.
I could do with some today as we have snow again.
My mum had waist slips. In France a slip is a man's brief but I need something more subtantial these days!

Embassy, Rothmans (long ciggies), No. 6 (aqua blue striped packet), Du Maurier (red box with black logo, sophisticated), Sobraine (moody, could get different cocktail fags), Benson & Hedges (gold box), Marlboro (cowboy country) - smoked 'em all. Even tried Capstain full strength - remember the ad where someone drove off in a sports car with a capstain on the back? Terrible habit, but we all did it back then. We thought we looked grown up, sophisticated, confident and experienced. I gave up when I had kids, but still love the whiff of cigarette smoke. Viv.

Peter Stuyvesant, Guards, Piccadilly, Pall Mall etc. My husband worked for Rothmans when I first met him. He used to give me packs of 200 at a time and I was smoking like a chimney!! Glad to say I gave up smoking many years ago now though.

Judy

Remember some packs were flip top (like B & H) and others were in soft packaging like Peter Stuyvesant? Peter Stuyvesant had the paper seal across the top of the silver foil lining. And there was a tapping trick to flicking the cigs out of the packet! All lined up in a tier. It really was an art form. Then there was the whole paraphernalia of cigarette lighters. I liked the lighters with the smooth 'click'. Didn't like the lighters that you had to roll with your thumb. Preferred a slimline Colibre lighter. But asking for 'a light' was of course a good chat up line, even if you had a lighter tucked away in your handbag. Viv.

And an essential piece of smoking kit was the marble table lighter. Useful as a paperweight if you gave up smoking. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365285752.937045.jpg

The first thing you had to do before smoking a "fag" was to "tamp" down the tobacco, otherwise it all fell out of the bottom. No need to do that with todays fags, they contain enough addatives to make sure the tobacco does not fall out of the cigatette. This I think is the main cause of Cancer. Years ago when you smoked, you smoked tobacco, not tobacco and God knows what else they have added.
jimbo

Hi Vivienne14
I remember the marble looking lighter, i think they were onex.
I had a set which was the lighter, the ash tray, and a cigarette case all in green
which was laid out on the coffee table and looked quite impressive. Mind you
there were never any fags in the cigarette case. I remember going to the shops for
5 park drive and he would open 10 and put 5 fags in a cone sweet bag. He
prob made more profit that way. Those little corner shops, you could always tell
people who had fags on the strap,(smoke now pay later) they would wait at the back and say, "you go first"
i am still looking. Come on own up, were you one at the back or front of the shop.
Stars

When I worked at Triplex I was down to smoking No 10s, (I developed a terrible cough). A pub we were in recently had a large picture frame on its wall showing dozens of fag packets, a lot of them have already been mentioned but also there was a Churchmans packet. Anybody remember those little fags called Matinee ? They were shorter than the average cigarette, apparently designed for people having a quick smoke in the intermission at the theatre. A final one, how about Joysticks ? Now they were LONGER than the average coffin nail !

Hi all does anyone remember Nelson cigs? they were the last cigs i smoked before packing up. i was 25 at the time my daughter had just arrived so i was the only one working, i went to work one day and forgot to take my lunch, i had three cigs left and only a halfcrown in my pocket. i threw the cigs away bought myself two cheese cobs and never smoked a cig again

Any one remember Pasha cigarettes, bought as a last resort during the war when nothing else was available, the smell was terrible, more recently there was/is a French cig whose name escapes me - even worse !!! Then there were American cigs, Camels and Lucky Strike for example, very loosely packed cigarettes, I have smoked them all. Hasten to add I packed up smoking 15 years ago last month. Eric

Last edited:
Any one remember Pasha cigarettes, bought as a last resort during the war when nothing else was available, the smell was terrible, more recently there was/is a French cig whose name escapes me - even worse !!! Then there were American cigs, Camels and Lucky Strike for example, very loosely packed cigarettes, I have smoked them all. Hasten to add I packed up smoking 15 years ago last month. Eric
They Say that "Lucky Strike" were made from what "Camels" left behind. Another Brand " Passing Cloud"

Reg

I remember boleros. If you had a strapless or even a small strappy dress you could wear a matching bolero over it. Very similar now are called shrugs, but these are usually woollen.

I remember boleros. If you had a strapless or even a small strappy dress you could wear a matching bolero over it. Very similar now are called shrugs, but these are usually woollen.
Did you pronounce it Bolero as in Ravel's Bolero? Mum pronounced it Bowler O. She also had a duster coat. Nan said coatee, for a very short jacket. My mates Dublin gran called bomber jackets bum starvers.

I remember boleros too Carol. I had a couple in the 50's and used to wear them with my circular skirts with the frou frou petticoat underneath. Loved them.

Do you remember when you went to weddings that if people couldnt turn up they used to send telegrams which were read out to the bride and groom. I bet that doesnt happen now. They probably text them in the middle of the service or the speeches :uncomfortableness:

I am not even certain that you can send a telegram anymore. Maybe, maybe not, One advantage of the telegram is that they could be kept, along with the 'photo album, for posterity. We still have our 'photos, cards and telegrams.

How do you save texts for decades?* All part of the so called progress I guess!

* apart from posts on various fora and similar I have to say then I have never yet sent a text by mobile 'phone.

Fatfingers.....i still have a pair of bicycle clips l got my parents to send to me over forty years ago....could not find any in Texas... in fact most people did'nt know what l was talking about...in fact there was'nt even a bicycle shop here in Lake Jackson and we still don'nt have one...is it the same in Brum...Brenda

Fatfingers.....i still have a pair of bicycle clips l got my parents to send to me over forty years ago....could not find any in Texas... in fact most people did'nt know what l was talking about...in fact there was'nt even a bicycle shop here in Lake Jackson and we still don'nt have one...is it the same in Brum...Brenda
I bike it to work but leave my clips in the draw, this week i caught my plastic rain proof trousers in the peddle and nearly came off:black_eyed:.
We do have some good bike shops, cop this one in Digbeth, one of Ell Brown's pictures..
Bike shop Digbeth.jpg

Cant remember last time I saw anyone wearing bicycle clips. They did look ridiculous though.
Funnily enough, I was in the barbers only yesterday and the chap before me was wearing cycle clips !
Talking about barbers does anyone remember having their hair singed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back